Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 10:14 AM

1,706 posts, read 2,435,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Big cities have bad traffic. Big deal. Name any big cities where traffic is great?
Not all big cities have bad traffic. Toronto traffic is especially bad. I dont think you drive in Toronto regularly and so you have no idea. I have never seen a city in NA where there is bumber to bumber traffic on city highways at 2pm on a weekday. Maybe LA ... but that's it ..

Chicago is a big city no major traffic problems (at least compared to Toronto). Can you dispute that?

Quote:
Most people don't get to complain about the traffic and congestion, when they themselves choose a car dependent suburban lifestyle where doing anything during the weekends requires a car. Those who are most impacted by traffic are mostly those who contribute most to the traffic, so what's to whine about?

I live 10 minutes walk to work. I never complain about how miserable traffic is as it has zero effect on me. I don't complain about how bad the TTC is that much either because I seldom take it.
Don't even know how to respond to this....
Even people who live downtown and take the TTC can have friends and relatives in far off places like Mississauga. I know no-one in Toronto who lives and socializes within a few blocks of the city. This ain't NYC.

Quote:
So when talking about traffic congestion, maybe people should think first about are you part of the reason why traffic is so bad?
Right!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2014, 10:46 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,171,812 times
Quote:
Big cities have bad traffic. Big deal. Name any big cities where traffic is great?

Most people don't get to complain about the traffic and congestion, when they themselves choose a car dependent suburban lifestyle where doing anything during the weekends requires a car. Those who are most impacted by traffic are mostly those who contribute most to the traffic, so what's to whine about?

I live 10 minutes walk to work. I never complain about how miserable traffic is as it has zero effect on me. I don't complain about how bad the TTC is that much either because I seldom take it.

So when talking about traffic congestion, maybe people should think first about are you part of the reason why traffic is so bad?
You do realize that a number of Fortune 500 Companies with national HQs in Toronto are based outside of the downtown core where tens of thousands of jobs are located, in places like the corporate park near YYZ and Mississauga. I'd love to NOT be part of traffic, but many businesses in the city are in fact located outside of the core and nowhere near the 2 pathetic subway lines. Until the city decides to finally address the horrific public transit deficit, I'd rather be "part of the traffic" than spending 1.5 hours doing multiple bus transfers everyday.

Old 12-23-2014, 10:53 AM

Quote:
such a silly and senseless comment, always have to put politics and non-political issues together.
As you see it. Like it or not, the Olympics have ALWAYS had a close link to politics, despite what the IOC and certain governments proclaim it be, because it's the only large-scale event in the world that involves the governments and general public of almost every single nation in the world. You think such a large gathering of world leaders, celebrities, along with massive publicly funded projects wouldn't involve any politics? Got to be kidding right? We live in a world fueled by realist national interests, not some utopia la-la land where everyone holds hands and love each other.

You think Putin's Russia is so great? No one is stopping you from moving there. I'm sure your hard foreign currency would be of great help to them just about now.

Old 12-23-2014, 11:41 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post

You think Putin's Russia is so great? No one is stopping you from moving there. I'm sure your hard foreign currency would be of great help to them just about now.
I don't find Putin to be "so great". I just don't find him to be any worse than Obama or Bush for example, both of whom invaded more countries than Putin, but you choose to ignore.

Do you honestly find the US a more benevolent peace loving country than Russia? Check out history to see who engaged more wars bullying others more frequently.

Old 12-23-2014, 11:49 AM

Quote:
I don't find Putin to be "so great". I just don't find him to be any worse than Obama or Bush for example, both of whom invaded more countries than Putin, but you choose to ignore.

Do you honestly find the US a more benevolent peace loving country than Russia? Check out history to see who engaged more wars bullying others more frequently.
Did I ever say that? Lol I really find it quite funny how certain people on C-D like to put words into other peoples' mouth, as if they can telepathically read my mind via an internet connection. What I said is this: every country is in it for their realist national interests.

Oh btw, happy Christmas Botti. Cheer up a little it's the holidays.

Old 12-23-2014, 12:52 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Did I ever say that? Lol I really find it quite funny how certain people on C-D like to put words into other peoples' mouth, as if they can telepathically read my mind via an internet connection. What I said is this: every country is in it for their realist national interests.

Oh btw, happy Christmas Botti. Cheer up a little it's the holidays.
merry Christmas to you too, Bostonkid! Let's argue about things next year

Old 12-23-2014, 02:20 PM

284 posts, read 491,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
LOL. If you like athletics in general, then of course check out a couple events as it should be fun.

None of the superstars will be there as they never participate in the Pan Am Games. Especially the track and swimming events. The world championships for Track and Field are a month later in Beijing and the World Aquatics Championships are in Russia as well. So none of the top tier folks are going to risk injury to participate in the Pan Am games a month prior.

So people expecting to see Usain Bolt, Michael Phelps and Lebron James will be pretty disappointed. If you go into it accepting it for what it is, then you should have a good time.
While Canada may not have superstars at track and field events we do have solid performers like Sheila Reid, who is from the town I live in, Nate Brannen, Nicole Sifuentes and others in the mid distance running events, while Dylan Armstrong is a legitimate star in shot put, and Chantal Petitclerc in wheelchair racing. I am sure there are others who do not come to mind at the moment.

I am sure some of the stars of other nations will also be in attendance, would you not jump at the chance to see Sanya Richards Ross, Yohan Blake, Allyson Felix or Veronica Campbell Brown? I certainly would, and in fact, my wife and I have tickets for one of the days at the York University track and field centre.

While marathon runners will likely make only a couple of competitive events in a year it is quite normal for track and field competitors to compete every couple of weeks at regional or national meets, Diamond League events, World Championships, and next year, in Olympic Trials. On top of that, many have a busy schedule for the indoor season.

I don't know what the television rights will bring, but I agree it is likely the games will cost both provincial and federal taxpayers a tidy sum, however it is important to take a broader view. Could Canada improve trade relations with Cuba ( in a year in which President Obama is "normalizing" relations between the US and Cuba) by hosting the games? Could our younger athletes gain useful experience competing against international fields, and benefit from this at the Rio Olympics? Could Canada's stable economy get positive exposure in the "ABC" economies of South America, Argentina, Brazil and Colombia?

Anyway I am excited to see in person amazing athletes run faster than any human being I have ever seen, 400 meter runners so fast they lean into the corners,milers jostling and shoving for lane advantage for three laps stretching it out after the bell then the frenzied sprint to the tape- that will be good enough for me!

Old 12-23-2014, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezerrunner View Post
While Canada may not have superstars at track and field events we do have solid performers like Sheila Reid, who is from the town I live in, Nate Brannen, Nicole Sifuentes and others in the mid distance running events, while Dylan Armstrong is a legitimate star in shot put, and Chantal Petitclerc in wheelchair racing. I am sure there are others who do not come to mind at the moment.

I am sure some of the stars of other nations will also be in attendance, would you not jump at the chance to see Sanya Richards Ross, Yohan Blake, Allyson Felix or Veronica Campbell Brown? I certainly would, and in fact, my wife and I have tickets for one of the days at the York University track and field centre.

While marathon runners will likely make only a couple of competitive events in a year it is quite normal for track and field competitors to compete every couple of weeks at regional or national meets, Diamond League events, World Championships, and next year, in Olympic Trials. On top of that, many have a busy schedule for the indoor season.

I don't know what the television rights will bring, but I agree it is likely the games will cost both provincial and federal taxpayers a tidy sum, however it is important to take a broader view. Could Canada improve trade relations with Cuba ( in a year in which President Obama is "normalizing" relations between the US and Cuba) by hosting the games? Could our younger athletes gain useful experience competing against international fields, and benefit from this at the Rio Olympics? Could Canada's stable economy get positive exposure in the "ABC" economies of South America, Argentina, Brazil and Colombia?

Anyway I am excited to see in person amazing athletes run faster than any human being I have ever seen, 400 meter runners so fast they lean into the corners,milers jostling and shoving for lane advantage for three laps stretching it out after the bell then the frenzied sprint to the tape- that will be good enough for me!
Good post.

Old 12-23-2014, 03:48 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Ha, forgot about Phelps suspension. But you get my point, the big dogs will be tied up elsewhere.

Let me know how that phone call to Bolt goes. I know you want the Pan Am Games to go well, but those million dollar legs of his need to be fresh for world champs
I'm not too concerned about the Pan Am games to be honest.. I think its just a test run to see how the city holds up for a potential olympic bid - kind of gives it cred.. Even though the first run athletes won't participate by and large - it still gives the city something to put on its resume re: organizing and executing a large international multi sport event. I'm somewhere in between indifference and excited about the whole thing to be honest and still don't care too much for an Olympic bid - alot of hassle.. Many cities/countries are actually becoming extremely indifferent to the whole thing. Having said all that, they are coming so why not enjoy them.. So many complain about T.O left, right and centre yet when things do happen all everyone does is rant and complain zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....................

Bolt hasn't responded to my email yet

Last edited by fusion2; 12-23-2014 at 03:57 PM..

Old 07-10-2015, 09:56 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Here are some fireworks from the opening ceremonies.. CN tower all lit :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3QHYaDkaoo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto