Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2016, 01:17 PM

298 posts, read 277,314 times

Advertisements

As a born Torontonian resident, I'm not going to stigmatize and speak on behalf of all Torontonians, but Living in Toronto my whole life, I have to say that the immigrants and the newcomers are way more friendlier than the actual native people who were born here. I made alot of friends in an adult-school where i had to go after high school because i needed to upgrade, and found that the immigrants there are quite friendlier than the people from my highschool. I don't know why this is the case but that is what i have discovered during my life here. I made more friends in adult school than i did in high school where people were reserved and a bit shallow and self-absorbed and only considered you an acquaintance, most people at my highschool were canadian born citizens who spoke fluent english, in contrast to my adult school, i find the recent immigrants who only lived here for 2-3 years so much friendlier, even outside of Highschool here in Toronto i didn't manage to make friends with any other canadian born citizens and people who lived here for 20-30 plus years. I find immigrants to be much more outgoing and less conservative and less insecure to being friends with you than the native canadians born citizens here. Even tourists can be cery friendly here in Toronto, I usually come across Canadian born citizens in the adult school who are also upgrading too and they are the more introverted ones who seem to be so unapproachable to the point where they just want to be left alone.

Last edited by Rockstar21; 03-08-2016 at 02:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2016, 01:32 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,737,299 times
It depends where you went to high school and the dymatics of the people in your class. All it usually takes is a few warmer personalities in a smaller class and the entire dynamics can change.

Old 03-13-2016, 08:50 AM

149 posts, read 145,688 times
I visit Toronto a lot and I find the residents of the city to be quite aloof and reserved. Not very friendly at all. So I agree.

Old 03-14-2016, 01:15 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,744,759 times
maybe because locally born Torontonians don't think they need more friends but immigrants do. all things considered, I find immigrants do show more openness than local borns, which are more likely to stick to their own establish circle as well as lifestyle/way of thinking. For immigrants, you know, you move so far FOR A CHANGE.

Old 03-14-2016, 06:18 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,912,809 times
I'm 3rd gen Torontonian and find myself to be very friendly. I even married and sponsored someone from outside the country. I suppose there are always exceptions to any rule, but sometimes perhaps the rule is misunderstood and not given a chance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto