Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does the prospect of Toronto becoming a megacity concern you?
Yes; the issues like traffic, congestion, lack of infrastructure, and other things bother me 12 46.15%
No; I see the benefits of gaining more amenities, brands, retail options, infill, services, and increased diversity as a plus to it all 11 42.31%
I don't know much about megacities and the issues presented to cities of that size 2 7.69%
Other 1 3.85%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 12:54 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,964,875 times

Advertisements

I know a lot of you will disagree and you're free to disagree, but I think officially becoming a megacity will cement Toronto's ascension as a world class global city. The city already has a great deal to offer, all it needs is to size up its frame a bit more. Get bigger a bit more.

Regardless of what anyone says, size does matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2016, 04:24 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,877,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts Kill Rhetoric View Post
I know a lot of you will disagree and you're free to disagree, but I think officially becoming a megacity will cement Toronto's ascension as a world class global city. The city already has a great deal to offer, all it needs is to size up its frame a bit more. Get bigger a bit more.

Regardless of what anyone says, size does matter.
No disagreements from me

There are always challenges with growth and Toronto could be doing things in a better manner to accommodate it (as many cities could), but at the end of the day growth is a good problem to have. Canadians should have at least one choice to live in a big city and those who don't like it are free to move to smaller one's.

Last edited by fusion2; 08-31-2016 at 04:48 PM..

Old 08-31-2016, 07:42 PM

287 posts, read 306,579 times
I don't really care since I don't see myself still living here 5 years from now , what I don't understand is, Toronto is home to those who don't want it to grow bigger just as much as to those who do, yet I have only seen the "if you don't like it you are free to leave" coming from one side - maybe I didn't follow closely to see both sides having the same argument - especially when that side overlaps with certain communities that preach tolerance and coexistence all year long and even have parades for it... The irony is just too hard to ignore

Old 09-01-2016, 06:48 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,174,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
No disagreements from me

There are always challenges with growth and Toronto could be doing things in a better manner to accommodate it (as many cities could), but at the end of the day growth is a good problem to have. Canadians should have at least one choice to live in a big city and those who don't like it are free to move to smaller one's.
Can't wait for the day when Toronto completes some much needed transit lines. I think once we are able to get the projects below completed, Toronto will finally have matured more into a city that will actually have a not-too-bad rapid transit network for a city of its size and stature:

- Eglinton Crosstown (2021, seems to be on schedule as of now given that the underground sections are completed this week)
- Smart Track (of what remains of it - don't really care what Tory decides to call it as long as Metrolinx converts the existing GO lines into Regional Express Rail)
- Some version of Downtown Relief Line - good news is that the Fed has just pledged another $168 million on the planning and design of this line, seems to be pretty serious money on the table and should see shovels in the ground soon
- Finch West LRT (2021)
- Sheppard East LRT (2024)
- Ontario's Regional Express Rail network - construction should start in 2018/19 on the electrification of Lakeshore East and West GO lines, and electrification should proceed very fast and not last more than 1-2 years.

AND if we are very very luck we might be able to see some version of Downtown Relief Line extending west along King or Queen, or at the very least a ROW/pedestrian-only corridor along King.

Old 09-07-2016, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Can't wait for the day when Toronto completes some much needed transit lines. I think once we are able to get the projects below completed, Toronto will finally have matured more into a city that will actually have a not-too-bad rapid transit network for a city of its size and stature:

- Eglinton Crosstown (2021, seems to be on schedule as of now given that the underground sections are completed this week)
- Smart Track (of what remains of it - don't really care what Tory decides to call it as long as Metrolinx converts the existing GO lines into Regional Express Rail)
- Some version of Downtown Relief Line - good news is that the Fed has just pledged another $168 million on the planning and design of this line, seems to be pretty serious money on the table and should see shovels in the ground soon
- Finch West LRT (2021)
- Sheppard East LRT (2024)
- Ontario's Regional Express Rail network - construction should start in 2018/19 on the electrification of Lakeshore East and West GO lines, and electrification should proceed very fast and not last more than 1-2 years.

AND if we are very very luck we might be able to see some version of Downtown Relief Line extending west along King or Queen, or at the very least a ROW/pedestrian-only corridor along King.
Can't argue with this!

Old 09-07-2016, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moveagain View Post
I don't really care since I don't see myself still living here 5 years from now , what I don't understand is, Toronto is home to those who don't want it to grow bigger just as much as to those who do, yet I have only seen the "if you don't like it you are free to leave" coming from one side - maybe I didn't follow closely to see both sides having the same argument - especially when that side overlaps with certain communities that preach tolerance and coexistence all year long and even have parades for it... The irony is just too hard to ignore
Its not so much if you don't like it you can leave in a cold way though, it simply is what it is. In practicable terms the city has always been on the higher side of growth for the last 50 years. Its not going to change probably for the next 50 especially with Canada's immigration policies (that aren't likely gonna change). Fact is, no large city in Canada is going to attract immigrants like Toronto does. I don't think there is going to be a referendum on stunting Toronto's growth to appease those that want a smaller city lifestyle. The cat is out of the bag and I think we need to be realistic about it. If anything its the NIMBY's and small town thinking people who still live in this city that are actually stunting some much needed improvements to it. I'm sorry but they are living in lalaland..

One large city approaching megacity status in Canada is entirely agreeable. Most every nation in the world has at least one large city in it.. Its not just good for the city and its stature but also the country and its stature. Malaysia has less people than Canada yet Kuala Lumpur/Klang Valley metro is actually outstripping Toronto in growth and development and I bet the city doesn't have a NIMBY problem. Why should Canada be any different? In an increasingly globalized and knowledge based world I agree with the other posters sentiment that size matters. Its the K.L's and Dubai's of the world that are increasingly going to be competition to cities like Toronto in terms of attracting the best and brightest and small minded thinking just isn't going to cut it if we want to be a real competitive world city.

Last edited by fusion2; 09-07-2016 at 03:10 PM..

Old 09-08-2016, 09:54 AM

189 posts, read 195,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
GTA has a horrible case of urban sprawl. It's much too spread out. Everyone is obsessed with getting that detached single-family home, even if it means an insane amount of time wasted with a commute.

Toronto needs more density. Big time.

I think that is happening yes? High Rise building development is increasing in the GTA. I myself am open to the idea of living in a high rise if I decide to move to a major mega metro area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto