Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does the prospect of Toronto becoming a megacity concern you?
Yes; the issues like traffic, congestion, lack of infrastructure, and other things bother me 12 46.15%
No; I see the benefits of gaining more amenities, brands, retail options, infill, services, and increased diversity as a plus to it all 11 42.31%
I don't know much about megacities and the issues presented to cities of that size 2 7.69%
Other 1 3.85%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 01:27 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,960,126 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to get local perceptions to this prospect because I am curious.

Does the idea of Toronto becoming a megacity (a metropolis of 10 million or more people) concern any of you?

I figure some people would hate the increased traffic, congestion, strain on infrastructure, and other challenges that fast growth and large population present to a city. I would imagine the people in this camp would think that what comes with that size is not worth it.

I also think other people would value the increased global portfolio, the entrance of more brands, companies, retail, restaurants, services, airlines, jobs and other things that come with a big city, especially a megacity. I would imagine these people would think that what comes with that size is worth it.

Your thoughts?

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 07-15-2016 at 01:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2016, 02:39 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,450,604 times
Yawn............sound of crickets in the background......

Jim B

Old 07-15-2016, 09:28 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,240,543 times
I'm all for Toronto to get bigger and joins the ranks or the world's megacities.

Old 07-15-2016, 09:46 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,857,845 times
Oops, I meant to vote Yes. Yes i think a GTA megacity would be awful.

Amalgamation was bad enough. We've seen the disastrous effects of trying to balance the needs of a dense urban core with the mostly suburban areas of North York, Scarborough, Etobicoke. Rob Ford was a product of that tension and, IMO, it will always be there. All subway expansion since amalgamtion has occurred in these areas, despite the overcrowding of the subway downtown and the lack of money to build a relief line. This is just one of many issues. Now imagine balancing the needs of a dense urban core with a place like Mississauga or Brampton. No way. completely different areas with different needs and priorities. It would be a disaster.

Old 07-16-2016, 10:14 AM

1,669 posts, read 4,240,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post

Amalgamation was bad enough. We've seen the disastrous effects of trying to balance the needs of a dense urban core with the mostly suburban areas of North York, Scarborough, Etobicoke. Rob Ford was a product of that tension and, IMO, it will always be there. All subway expansion since amalgamtion has occurred in these areas, despite the overcrowding of the subway downtown and the lack of money to build a relief line. This is just one of many issues. Now imagine balancing the needs of a dense urban core with a place like Mississauga or Brampton. No way. completely different areas with different needs and priorities. It would be a disaster.
I don't think he's referring the entire GTA amalgamating to form a single "mega" city, he simply means the Greater Toronto area growing to surpass 10 million people.

Old 07-16-2016, 11:10 AM

287 posts, read 306,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post

That's Ok, just double or triple the tax rate, problem solved

Old 07-16-2016, 08:23 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,960,126 times
The megacity label is a benchmark. I think Toronto will easily pass that benchmark as a CMA, with its GTA, and obviously also with the Greater Golden Horseshoe Area as well.

2015 Population Estimate for Toronto CMA: 6,129,934

I also added up the 2015 population estimates for all of the areas that comprise of the Greater Golden Horseshoe.

2015 Greater Golden Horseshoe Area Population:
- Toronto: 6,129,934
- Hamilton: 771,703
- Kitchener-Waterloo: 511,319
- Saint Catharines-Niagara: 408,222
- Oshawa: 388,956
- Barrie: 202,704
- Guelph: 152,951
- Brantford: 143,864
- Peterborough: 122,566

Total: 8,832,219

Both as the GTA and as the Greater Golden Horseshoe, it should get there in a few decades. The Greater Golden Horseshoe Area, in particular, should cross 10 million within the next 10-15 years or less. The GTA is growing by around 100,000 people per year and has been doing so for quite a while now and the Toronto CMA is growing by over 85,000-90,000 people per year. Also quickly. Obviously the Toronto CMA will cross 10 million at a later point, later on as compared to the GTA and GGH.

Old 07-17-2016, 09:17 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,242,409 times
I am not from Toronto or Ontario so I did not vote but I would have voted "Yes; the issues like traffic, congestion, lack of infrastructure, and other things bother me".

Honestly, as a former New Yorker I think that once a metro area reaches a certain size and has the great museums, arts, Broadway/West End, etc., any additional millions of people just add to the crowds and expense to the area.

In other words, London and New York would still be great cities if they were several million people less. They would have most of the same cultural activities they have now but would be less crowded and less expensive and probably have more green space.

Old 07-17-2016, 09:44 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,095,522 times
I think Toronto could become a better city, including have more of the benefits of big cities, without actually getting much bigger than it currently is. Berlin, Barcelona and Montreal are smaller than Toronto but still do certain big city things better.

Old 07-17-2016, 09:59 AM

3,423 posts, read 4,365,968 times
LOL... Toronto isn't a "megacity"... it's a standard North American metro city. But when I think "megacity," I think of global cities with populations of at least 10 million in the metro area -- and more like 20 million is becoming more common in the world today.

Tokyo has nearly 38 million residents.
Jakarta has 30 million.
Delhi has 25 million.
Manila 24 million.
Seoul 23 million.
Shanhai 23 million.
Karachi 22 million.
Beijing 22 million.
Lagos 21 million.
NYC-NJ-CT 20 million.

Guangzhou-Dongguan-Shenzhen 20 million. Or 44 million in the larger urban area, depending upon the measure criteria... China has 14 cities with urban metro populations larger than 10 million.

There are dozens of other cities worldwide with populations between 10 to 20 million.

Toronto is very far from a megacity. So get over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto