Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 10:49 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,528,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Charette View Post
I would suggest, that Canada is the most discrimiation free country for anyone to live. I am not saying this because I am a Canadian but one can look for the past history of this country which has always accepted people from different continents.
This is very false. There is a history of pretty severe racism in this country until the late 20th century. Well known historical examples are the discrimination against Asians in the early 20th century (the head tax, Japanese internment, Chinese having to live in tunnels under Moose Jaw when racist policies meant they could no longer legally work), the conflict with the Metis in Manitoba in the 19th century which was absolutely about their race, and discrimination suffered by Black Canadians in Nova Scotia. My own families arrived in Canada in the 50s and 60s and could definitely tell you about the xenophobia they experienced at that time as immigrants, which wasn't always about race. Modern Canada is, however, a very accepting place. Race has been a non-issue in my own life and I am grateful to live in a country like Canada. It would be a mistake, however, to white wash our history, or to suggest that it is completely in the past, or that it could not happen again in the future.

Old 10-19-2016, 06:29 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,042,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abewzy View Post
Not that great. Toronto is a city that's predominately south Asian and white and blacks are in smaller numbers and treated poorly.
400,000 black people living in the GTA isn't a small number. Relative to about 5.1 million non-black people then sure its 'small', but 400,000 is still a significant number of black people here and I disagree about black people being treated poorly.

The truth is blacks TREAT THEMSELVES much, MUCH more poorly than any non-blacks do. Just look at even the past week or so with the murder of that 17 year old black teen at a Pizza Pizza and the multiple shootings we've had too. That ain't non-black people shooting black people, that's black people shooting other black people as usual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valene92 View Post
Not bad cause there are many black people in toronto, but the police in toronto are horrible to visible minorities. I am one myself.
The people who complain about police the most are black people. I haven't seen any other minority group complain about cops AT ALL. And isn't it funny that the group that complains the most about police is also the same group that commits the most crime and violence and hence is most likely to come into contact with police?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
This is very false. There is a history of pretty severe racism in this country until the late 20th century. Well known historical examples are the discrimination against Asians in the early 20th century (the head tax, Japanese internment, Chinese having to live in tunnels under Moose Jaw when racist policies meant they could no longer legally work), the conflict with the Metis in Manitoba in the 19th century which was absolutely about their race, and discrimination suffered by Black Canadians in Nova Scotia. My own families arrived in Canada in the 50s and 60s and could definitely tell you about the xenophobia they experienced at that time as immigrants, which wasn't always about race. Modern Canada is, however, a very accepting place. Race has been a non-issue in my own life and I am grateful to live in a country like Canada. It would be a mistake, however, to white wash our history, or to suggest that it is completely in the past, or that it could not happen again in the future.
I disagree. I don't think anyone will ever say that Canada is racism or discrimination free, but relatively speaking its not that bad compared to what minorities in other countries have experienced. Slavery was abolished LONG before Canada became a nation. Black people didn't face anywhere NEAR the problems that blacks in the US did. Asians had their early issues here, but eventually they adapted and became successful to what you see now. Natives certainly were often treated poorly in the past, there's no question about that, but most of their present day problems are of their own making and its sad that most Canadians REFUSE to call Natives out on their lack of common sense in making the right choices to help their communities get better. The same goes for black people with the same tired old excuses to help them save face rather than being truthful and actually solving the problems in their neighborhoods.

I really HATE how just because Canada's past isn't perfect with how we've treated minorities that we suddenly are placed on the same level as for example how the US or South Africa treated black people in the past when Canada WAS NEVER anywhere near that bad. I look at Canada's past and I personally feel that while its not flawless, relatively speaking this country and its people have treated minorities far better than most other nations on this earth have and I think that most minorities would LOVE to face the relatively low amounts of discrimination and racism here compared to what they would have or are currently facing in other parts of the world.

Old 10-19-2016, 10:46 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,727,708 times
Okay since Max S. jumped in and I am pretty sure he is not black I am going to throw in a burning and controversial question.

How "Black" do you need to be to be identified as "black" in Toronto or Canada?

Who is included in these stats as "black". Would it be based on how a person self-identifies or how the broader society identifies someone ( not sure who would decide of that).

As someone from the Caribbean ... mmm ... I am not really 100% getting the whole "black"/ "white" or race labelling things. Likely because I don't really identify with any specific race/cultural label. I only started explaining I was was white and from the Caribbean based on a life time of having to explain my hertigate to people I would meet. But in 100% fact I don't actually consider myself "white", "black" or any other specific thing in between.

The point I am trying to make here is I think the world is pumping out a lot more interesting people like me and the lines between "black" and "white" should seems pretty dated by now? Though it appears not to be... this almost seems like one of these issues the world should be over by now ... but for some dumb reason is not.

The whole identiy of Canada is changing. When I travel to other places I usually identify as Canadian .... sometimes I use o get the ? ... really? Then I started to realize that at that time I guess people expected me to be like British/ Anglo white, blond hair and blue eyes or something like that. I was set up on a blind date with this guy when I was living in London, England ( that was from North Africa) and one of the first things he said was when I was told that you were Canadian I was expecting this blond girl with blue eyes or somethng like that lol ..... but now I am surprised because you look like me/ girls where I am from. Then I had to explain the whole multicultural Canadian thing lol.

When looking at things from a big picture it seems so silly at this point in history living in a city like Toronto that people should be treated worse or better based on their skin colour. Just as I think living in a city like Toronto it just a bizar to hear anyone still say a female can't be or do something. These seem like dated attitudes that should be extinct by now.

I would argue that globally right now this is likely the most common face of Toronto....

The 10 most famous people from Toronto

Being from Toronto ... being from Ontario is not a black and white thing ... it is a very diverse thing.

Old 10-19-2016, 04:26 PM

5,899 posts, read 6,104,862 times
I think the 400,000 stat is based off the race people self identify as. Black is an option, "not a visible minority" is also an option, "multiple" is an option, and write-in responses are also an option. It's definitely possible that people from the Caribbean will select multiple or write-in West Indian. There were about 69,000 write-in responses and 75,000 who checked "multiple".
https://www12.statcan.gc.ca/nhs-enm/...ustom=&TABID=1

Old 10-21-2016, 10:51 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,430,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Charette View Post
I would suggest, that Canada is the most discrimiation free country for anyone to live. I am not saying this because I am a Canadian but one can look for the past history of this country which has always accepted people from different continents.
You should check your Canadian History.Talk to the Native Americans.

Old 10-21-2016, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Okay since Max S. jumped in and I am pretty sure he is not black I am going to throw in a burning and controversial question.

How "Black" do you need to be to be identified as "black" in Toronto or Canada?

Who is included in these stats as "black". Would it be based on how a person self-identifies or how the broader society identifies someone ( not sure who would decide of that).

As someone from the Caribbean ... mmm ... I am not really 100% getting the whole "black"/ "white" or race labelling things. Likely because I don't really identify with any specific race/cultural label. I only started explaining I was was white and from the Caribbean based on a life time of having to explain my hertigate to people I would meet. But in 100% fact I don't actually consider myself "white", "black" or any other specific thing in between.

The point I am trying to make here is I think the world is pumping out a lot more interesting people like me and the lines between "black" and "white" should seems pretty dated by now? Though it appears not to be... this almost seems like one of these issues the world should be over by now ... but for some dumb reason is not.

The whole identiy of Canada is changing. When I travel to other places I usually identify as Canadian .... sometimes I use o get the ? ... really? Then I started to realize that at that time I guess people expected me to be like British/ Anglo white, blond hair and blue eyes or something like that. I was set up on a blind date with this guy when I was living in London, England ( that was from North Africa) and one of the first things he said was when I was told that you were Canadian I was expecting this blond girl with blue eyes or somethng like that lol ..... but now I am surprised because you look like me/ girls where I am from. Then I had to explain the whole multicultural Canadian thing lol.

When looking at things from a big picture it seems so silly at this point in history living in a city like Toronto that people should be treated worse or better based on their skin colour. Just as I think living in a city like Toronto it just a bizar to hear anyone still say a female can't be or do something. These seem like dated attitudes that should be extinct by now.

I would argue that globally right now this is likely the most common face of Toronto....

The 10 most famous people from Toronto

Being from Toronto ... being from Ontario is not a black and white thing ... it is a very diverse thing.
Toronto is a very diverse city but I find people from Toronto rather have this idea that its something unique.
Its not.You have post famous pictures of people from Houston,LA,D.C.,etc and it would be no different or less diverse.
It seems there os a lot of talk about diversity but when it comes to including people in political,business and social aspects of society,its very white.

Old 10-21-2016, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Sterling View Post
400,000 black people living in the GTA isn't a small number. Relative to about 5.1 million non-black people then sure its 'small', but 400,000 is still a significant number of black people here and I disagree about black people being treated poorly.

The truth is blacks TREAT THEMSELVES much, MUCH more poorly than any non-blacks do. Just look at even the past week or so with the murder of that 17 year old black teen at a Pizza Pizza and the multiple shootings we've had too. That ain't non-black people shooting black people, that's black people shooting other black people as usual.

The people who complain about police the most are black people. I haven't seen any other minority group complain about cops AT ALL. And isn't it funny that the group that complains the most about police is also the same group that commits the most crime and violence and hence is most likely to come into contact with police?

I disagree. I don't think anyone will ever say that Canada is racism or discrimination free, but relatively speaking its not that bad compared to what minorities in other countries have experienced. Slavery was abolished LONG before Canada became a nation. Black people didn't face anywhere NEAR the problems that blacks in the US did. Asians had their early issues here, but eventually they adapted and became successful to what you see now. Natives certainly were often treated poorly in the past, there's no question about that, but most of their present day problems are of their own making and its sad that most Canadians REFUSE to call Natives out on their lack of common sense in making the right choices to help their communities get better. The same goes for black people with the same tired old excuses to help them save face rather than being truthful and actually solving the problems in their neighborhoods.

I really HATE how just because Canada's past isn't perfect with how we've treated minorities that we suddenly are placed on the same level as for example how the US or South Africa treated black people in the past when Canada WAS NEVER anywhere near that bad. I look at Canada's past and I personally feel that while its not flawless, relatively speaking this country and its people have treated minorities far better than most other nations on this earth have and I think that most minorities would LOVE to face the relatively low amounts of discrimination and racism here compared to what they would have or are currently facing in other parts of the world.
So your post just answered the question of the thread.
Your post is riddled with assumptions and presumptions.
Based on your post you are saying blacks are somehow more predisposed to be criminals based on their more frequent interaction with police.First racist statement

Reason being is you give no type of context what soever that may cause this.All content regarding historical institutional racism or by any other. You basically are saying this is how "those" people are.

You also describe the First Nations as not accepting there issues but dont mention how and why this pattern started as if your government has had no involvement.
I find most non minorities are absolutely clueless on how governments have allowed discrimination in policy making .

I just left Toronto 3 weeks ago after staying with this friend of mind who is black and is a successful business owner a marketing company in Toronto.
This happened to him after I left:
CTV Toronto: Man survives brutal attack | CTV Toronto News

Now he said he does not know if it was racially motivated and gay or just gay.Either way this same friend has told me how living in Toronto as a black successful male does have limitations on how far you are allowed to go.
He lived in the states and said he never felt that although in the U.S. people are more open about being racist or even discussing race.In Canada he says,its like people ignore it if its not "blatant".
Its more Civil in that regard

Much of the complaints about police and racism comes from black professionals like myself who never grew up in a "hood" and most of the black friends I do have are npt also from a hood but suburbia where we still get harassed by cops occasionally,get eyeballed by shop owners in stores and face discrimination in the work place.
So what is this condition we need to "change" when we are doing what you are doing?

Old 10-22-2016, 03:38 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,727,708 times
Default Only agree in part....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othello Is Here View Post

Toronto is a very diverse city but I find people from Toronto rather have this idea that its something unique.
Its not.You have post famous pictures of people from Houston,LA,D.C.,etc and it would be no different or less diverse.
It seems there os a lot of talk about diversity but when it comes to including people in political,business and social aspects of society,its very white.
I agree there are a lot of major cities in North America... but I don't agree with the idea the minority's are not significantly represented in important roles in this city because I know many many non white people that hold high positions in this city in all areas. Also the numbers are growing..... I can also think of people like md who grew up in more working class areas of Toronto .. no one knew it .., but 20 years later a huge chunk of us are playing important roles in this city now.... but when you meet us outside of work you might not realize that because we are still lined up at the local ethnic take out places to get an oxtail and rice.

I think is white/ Anglo Toronto or privilege as known in the part is evaporating as we speak and the rest of us are holding a better share of better positions in this city. Checkout Toronto news or talk shows ....

Old 10-22-2016, 10:29 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,042,983 times
Quote:
So your post just answered the question of the thread.
Your post is riddled with assumptions and presumptions.
Based on your post you are saying blacks are somehow more predisposed to be criminals based on their more frequent interaction with police.First racist statement
NO. What I AM saying is that blacks commit the most violence and crime BY FAR in the GTA so obviously its natural for them to come into contact with police much, MUCH more often than non-blacks do. Its pretty damn simple that if black people and particularly young black males stopped committing so much crime every damn year, then over time they will have less interaction with police.

The problem is blacks can't stop committing crime so OF COURSE the police who are doing their jobs will scrutinize black people more closely than non-blacks. Blacks always complain about getting profiled, but just look at even the past couple of weeks where we've had shooting after shooting with several killed and others seriously injured and ALL OF THEM involving blacks. So if blacks want to complain about being profiled, they have no one to blame BUT THEMSELVES.

And then you have sorry ass 'movements' like BLM Toronto being COMPLETELY SILENT throughout all this gun violence in recent weeks because its clear that their agenda isn't to stop blacks from dying, but to complain that 'the system' is against black people and to cause trouble and discourse and division between blacks and everyone else.

Quote:
Reason being is you give no type of context what soever that may cause this.All content regarding historical institutional racism or by any other. You basically are saying this is how "those" people are.
What 'institutional racism' was there in Canada against black people? What a LOAD OF CRAP. Slavery was already abolished before Canada even became a nation, so no black slavery here by Canadians. Of course there was some discrimination and racism, but it was no more worse than what the Chinese or any other immigrant group who first came here faced so that excuse goes out the window too.

The bottom line is that blacks haven't had it any worse than any other immigrant group that came here yet they've been consistently the most violent out of every race/ethnicity save for the Natives. And also you can't explain why even RECENT black immigrants often fall into the same crime and violence problems when they settle here.

Quote:
You also describe the First Nations as not accepting there issues but dont mention how and why this pattern started as if your government has had no involvement.
I find most non minorities are absolutely clueless on how governments have allowed discrimination in policy making .
I don't think anyone denies that the Natives were mistreated in the past, but the reason they're still doing so poorly in 2016 lays mostly with themselves and their leaders now. Most native leaders are UTTERLY USELESS and corrupt and their insistence in living in the middle of nowhere with all their problems is just MORONIC!

Seriously if natives have had so many problems living in the boonies for so long now, why don't they just move closer to civilization so that they can get proper housing, infrastructure and social services at probably a fraction of the cost of trying to keep their craphole communities in the middle of nowhere alive?? That's just utterly stupid to me that they won't move for the sake of their children and communities to somewhere closer to civilization.

Quote:
Much of the complaints about police and racism comes from black professionals like myself who never grew up in a "hood" and most of the black friends I do have are npt also from a hood but suburbia where we still get harassed by cops occasionally,get eyeballed by shop owners in stores and face discrimination in the work place.
So what is this condition we need to "change" when we are doing what you are doing?
Again don't blame cops and non-blacks for this, blame your fellow blacks for the troubles you face now. As I said above, profiling and stereotyping of blacks doesn't come from one or a few incidents or one or a few years of high crime rates. Profiling comes from DECADES of high black crime rates and NEVER ENDING VIOLENCE and you're seeing it on full display these past few weeks as to why blacks are scrutinized more than anyone else.

So yes it sucks for normal law abiding black people that they get splattered with the poop that criminal and violent blacks create, but again blame your fellow black people for that. You can't continually see black males committing crime and violence and murder on the streets of Toronto and NOT develop negative perceptions of them. That's just plain stupid to expect otherwise.

Maybe if black people worked harder at raising their kids right and cleaning up their neighborhoods and becoming more peaceful like most non-blacks in Toronto are, their image would change over time to be more positive and people would be more comfortable around black people and store owners wouldn't have to look at black people coming into their stores as possible criminals. Its that simple.

Think about it. It would be like you were a bad driver constantly getting into accidents and then you complained that you were discriminated against because of your ethnicity when your insurance rates went up year after year. Its the same with blacks where we constantly see shootings, murder and violence on our streets and then black people have the GALL to complain that they're unfairly profiled? Really?!?!? >_>

Quote:
I just left Toronto 3 weeks ago after staying with this friend of mind who is black and is a successful business owner a marketing company in Toronto.
This happened to him after I left:
CTV Toronto: Man survives brutal attack | CTV Toronto News
Well considering the identity of the attackers hasn't been released yet, chances are the suspects aren't white otherwise it would've been plastered all over the news LONG AGO. So if there was a 'hate crime' if you even want to call it that, it was against a gay person and not because of the color of their skin.

Old 10-22-2016, 11:29 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,407,761 times
Quote:

Very well said, I agree. All those cities are also very diverse. Not only that, but those cities you mentioned have had several non white Mayors, and despite the problems people love to point out about Americans cities, all those cities have significant middle and upper middle class neighborhoods that are majority black, specially LA.

Whites still make up the biggest group of people in Toronto. Ontario is still over 70% white. To say white privilege is evaporating in Toronto is not accurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto