Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2017, 02:16 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times

Advertisements

Torontonians increasingly living alone.

Torontonians increasingly live alone, census shows | Metro Toronto
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2017, 04:19 PM

295 posts, read 263,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
It just confirmed my observations how anti-social the atmosphere here. Complete opposite of Bangkok, where I lived for 4 years. What puzzles me is that the population is 50% foreign born, yet it does not change anything. Immigrants follow the suit and behave like locals.

Old 05-09-2017, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_wanderer View Post
It just confirmed my observations how anti-social the atmosphere here. Complete opposite of Bangkok, where I lived for 4 years. What puzzles me is that the population is 50% foreign born, yet it does not change anything. Immigrants follow the suit and behave like locals.
Well we are still a N.A society - we aren't Thai but certainly there is nothing stopping anyone here from being social - When I lived DT I was far from being anti-social. I was out networking and meeting friends at a pub, going out on coffee dates and eventually met my partner etc so I think just because someone is alone doesn't tell the whole story about either being lonely or anti-social.

I think using race or ethnicity or even culture as an excuse for not getting off your butt and meeting people is an excuse. Same thing with blaming Toronto. There are lots of ways to socialize here but it is incumbent on the individual to do that. Otherwise you're just complaining on an internet site about Toronto. That'll change nothing except further bring yourself down a rabbit hole.

All said, if someone is truly unhappy here and so strongly associates the place they live with how they feel then they certainly need to try as hard as possible to change the situation. I just wish people on here didn't feel so powerless to change things for themselves or their community. The moment I get to the point i'm complaining about living in this city and associate life problems with it is the moment I would be personally looking at changing the situation.

Finally, this article is just referring to the city of Toronto. Within the city population growth has mainly been in the form of condo growth and mid-rise apartment dwelling which means less likely to involve larger families and more likely to include, students, retirees, single urban professionals etc. If you look at other cities in the GTA they actually represent the largest increase for larger families. This is why a place like Milton has an astonishing 34 percent growth from 2011 to 2016. Essentially families and larger families at that choose the burbs and singles are increasingly choosing more urban locales.

Toronto is increasingly functioning as a larger region and not simply the city of Toronto with its arbitrary boundary. Even from a transit development perspective Metrolinx was formed - this is in response to the fact that Toronto is simply an anchor city of a much larger and more and more interconnected urban area.

Last edited by fusion2; 05-09-2017 at 07:01 PM..

Old 05-09-2017, 07:08 PM

295 posts, read 263,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Well we are still a N.A society - we aren't Thai but certainly there is nothing stopping anyone here from being 'anti-social' - When I lived DT I was far from being anti-social. I was out networking and meeting friends at a pub, going out on coffee dates and eventually met my partner etc so I think just because someone is alone doesn't tell the whole story about either being lonely or anti-social.

I think using race or ethnicity or even culture as an excuse for not getting off your butt and meeting people is an excuse. Same thing with blaming Toronto. There are lots of ways to socialize here but it is incumbent on the individual to do that. Otherwise you're just complaining on an internet site about Toronto. That'll change nothing except further bring yourself down a rabbit hole.

All said, if someone is truly unhappy here and so strongly associates the place they live with how they feel then they certainly need to try as hard as possible to change the situation. I just wish people on here didn't feel so powerless to change things for themselves. The moment I get to the point i'm complaining about living in this city and associate life problems with it is the moment I would be personally looking at changing the situation.
I am not blaming anybody, rather I give explanation why more and more people in this city are living alone. You started this thread. Yes, Toronto is a NA city, however, provided that so many immigrants living here I was expecting something more vibrant. Today I talked with my family doctor (a guy from Iran) who agreed that this city is socially half-dead. You can accept this or not, it is up to you, but don't be surprised if in next 10-20 years half of Torontonians will be living alone.

Don't be so defensive, Toronto has good traits too. But social life could be so much better.

Old 05-09-2017, 07:26 PM

Quote:
I am not blaming anybody, rather I give explanation why more and more people in this city are living alone. You started this thread. Yes, Toronto is a NA city, however, provided that so many immigrants living here I was expecting something more vibrant. Today I talked with my family doctor (a guy from Iran) who agreed that this city is socially half-dead. You can accept this or not, it is up to you, but don't be surprised if in next 10-20 years half of Torontonians will be living alone.

Don't be so defensive, Toronto has good traits too. But social life could be so much better.
I didn't think I was being defensive and actually thought I was providing decent advice to people. There are a few people in here who have also made similar complaints so I was just trying to get the focus on the individual as a way of empowerment - Toronto after all is simply a place and backdrop to the people who live in it. Certainly didn't mean to come off as defensive. Anyway, I just came back from Thailand myself and I love it there too! That said, if we and I mean just the people in this city don't like certain attributes it really starts on the individual level to change it! You, me the Iranian Doctor, The Somali immigrant etc. That is all i'm getting at. There is no sort of boring overlord in Toronto making a statement that thou must be half dead.

For me, it is perfectly logical to explain why Toronto the city is increasing in solo dwellings. It is the largest city in the country and attracts students both domestically and internationally. It has the countries two largest economic areas so it is going to attract more people who are focussing on career development who are more apt to be single. The article was speaking just of Toronto. If you expanded on a regional or urban area level it would change quite a bit.

Also, just because there is a growth in single person dwellings in the city itself doesn't imo detract from it being interesting. Large family/large house suburbia is far less interesting to me than an increase in solo family condo's.

I posted this article really as an opening to the 2016 census release. Anyone can feel free to discuss anything related to the census release and not just for Toronto but our ever more integrated urban area and region ie GTA and also Golden Horseshoe as well!

Old 05-10-2017, 05:54 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,228,266 times
Quote:

Socially half dead? Talk about hyperbole
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto