Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 08:06 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,726,194 times

Advertisements

Okay happy to announce The Halah guys have a location in Toronto around Younge Street North of Welsley. It is10 pm and the line up is in to the street. The food is fantastic. So ny suggestion is you got to try this!!!!!!

Feel free to post any Toronto Dining reviews in this "You Got To Try This Thread"!

Last edited by klmrocks; 05-23-2017 at 08:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2017, 08:41 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Okay happy to announce The Halah guys have a location in Toronto around Younge Street South of Welsley. It is10 pm and the line up is in to the street. The food is fantastic. So ny suggestion is you got to try this!!!!!!

Feel free to post any Toronto Dining reviews in this "You Got To Try This Thread"!
Yeah I saw this place. The Halal guys not Halah guys lol. The line up was just INSANE on Friday Night when I was in the area. I'd love to check it out but when things simmer down a bit.

Old 05-24-2017, 10:29 AM

Sorry I was typing this when in line .... I had just finished walking from Ossignton and Bloor to Younge and Welsley.
The line ups were crazy ... CRAZY long every time I was in Manhattan. But worth the wait as the food is tasty. I was by there just before 11 whent they open and a line was already forming lol. There production team is slow as it appears to be made up of students age workers that seem more fit for retail then food service production. I use to manage 2 similar type food service places and know if you have the wrong people working the production line it kills your sales. They are hiring the wrong type of workers. They need more upbeat front line production staff or the lines could move faster, which would encourage even more business. I am sure they are doing well... but they could be doing even better with the right kind of production staff. Part of the fun of buying food from street vendors, which what this place started as orignally is that you are getting fun fast food.

Also this line is NOTHING comared to the line for the line up for Uncle Tetsu, the Japanese Cheese Cakes. I went there once just for the experience and oh god never again. It was HOT as hell in that place and they even sell out of cakes and there is a 2 cake per person in line limit!!!

The cake was okay.... 100% more worth the 45 min to hour waiting in line.

Old 05-24-2017, 03:40 PM

13 posts, read 7,427 times
I'm from Montreal but have been to Toronto 3 times and first thing I do is have a brisket sandwich from Black Camel near rosadale subway station. This is probably the real reason as to why I'm moving here lol

Old 05-24-2017, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marks5 View Post
I'm from Montreal but have been to Toronto 3 times and first thing I do is have a brisket sandwich from Black Camel near rosadale subway station. This is probably the real reason as to why I'm moving here lol
Hmmm - will have to try this place! Thanks!

Old 05-25-2017, 11:15 AM

Default ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Hmmm - will have to try this place! Thanks!
Sounds good. Will have to check it out. This is one part of the city I rarely go by.

Old 05-25-2017, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Sounds good. Will have to check it out. This is one part of the city I rarely go by.
Yeah Rosedale isn't a typical place you'd just say hey - let's go to Rosedale to grab some chow lol.

Old 05-30-2017, 10:49 AM

3,867 posts, read 5,291,536 times
I got a chance to pop back into Toronto for the weekend because I had to be in Boston this week for work. Ate a few places.

Bar Raval - Excellent. Just top to bottom one of the best places to eat in Toronto IMHO. Bartender was great and every dish was a home run.

The Good Son - Very solid. Had one of the wood oven pizzas which is delicious. Also the tartare that was very tasty itself.

AF1 Caribbean Canteen: Fusion, I told you I would try this place next visit! Well I have to say it was a let down. One plus was finally a place that uses Pimento wood to cook their Jerk in Toronto (The only as far as I know) but the problem is it was under seasoned, not spicy in the least bit and dry as hell. Basically I have given up eating Jamaican food in Toronto. No need to waste any more time looking.

Brassaii - Beautiful room, loved our server and bartender before dinner (Paul you are the man!) But the food was MEH. Ordered the lamb shank, which was fine I guess. But for a $34 entree you expect a bit more. Crowd was a bit much also, but I will keep that to myself. lol.

Cold Tea - One of my go to spots in Toronto. Great music, fun crowd and in my favourite hood Kensington. Cant lose!

Overall had a fun time, good seeing everyone and the city looks better than ever.

Old 05-30-2017, 03:02 PM

Well great you got back up and enjoyed the city! Also good that you got to sort out what was good and not so good.. I can see the disappointment in AF1 - did you share your feelings with the owner because it sounds like they are on the right track - sometimes constructive feedback helps. In the end though, at least there are some other gems to make up for what Is Yardie lacking here lol- can't win em all.

I did talk to one Jamaican friend about good Jamaican resto's in the city. Needless to say, I myself was not impressed with her response - she basically brought up Sunrise and that the one in Pickering was the best lol.. I talked to her about our discussion and she's like - well where they gonna get pimento wood in Canada hahahaha - I just faux laughed at that point and changed the discussion

Old 05-30-2017, 03:35 PM

Default .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Well great you got back up and enjoyed the city! Also good that you got to sort out what was good and not so good.. I can see the disappointment in AF1 - did you share your feelings with the owner because it sounds like they are on the right track - sometimes constructive feedback helps. In the end though, at least there are some other gems to make up for what Is Yardie lacking here lol- can't win em all.

I did talk to one Jamaican friend about good Jamaican resto's in the city. Needless to say, I myself was not impressed with her response - she basically brought up Sunrise and that the one in Pickering was the best lol.. I talked to her about our discussion and she's like - well where they gonna get pimento wood in Canada hahahaha - I just faux laughed at that point and changed the discussion
I am usually not impressed by Jamacian or Trinidadian restaurants anywhere. I think when judging food from your own cultural background you set the bar higher. After all you are comparing the food you grew up with to what some stranger is making. Can't compare what my family makes to so random other person makes. The quality usually not there. I have NEVER .... EVER eating take out Trinidadian food compared to food made my own family. It is just not the same. It was not make with love ! I also always find West Indian people don't complement food easily. If it is not amazing they are not going to lie to you lol! Ex if you only get told it could use a bit more salt or a little more seasoning consider yourself lucky lol !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto