Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 07:33 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,053,631 times

Advertisements

I've never been a big fan of the mental illness or insanity defence for killing.

I mean, is anyone really in their right mind if they're killing someone? Maybe a soldier in a war, or someone acting in legitimate self-defence, but even then...

So if you can be proven to have deliberately killed someone you definitely should be locked up for good. Whether you were seeing a shrink beforehand or not.

My two cents...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 11:10 PM

3,625 posts, read 3,414,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I've never been a big fan of the mental illness or insanity defence for killing.
Understand first, that the NCR defense ("Not Criminally Responsible On Account of Mental Disorder," NCROAMD, often abbreviated as simply "NCR," and sometimes called, "The M'Naughten Defense") is an extremely high threshold to reach in Canadian law. It is in most common-law countries, also. Typically, it requires testimony from mental-health professionals, who have personally treated the accused, pre- or post-event (or both), plus other testimony as required (e.g. a family member who says, "I drove him to his psychiatrist appointments every week"). In other words, if you allege the NCR defense, you've got to be prepared to back it up--you cannot just say it, and have it stand.

That being said, you really have to wonder about people who just suddenly snap--I'm thinking about people like Brenda Anne Spencer, of "I Don't Like Mondays" fame; or Vince Li, or Sammy Yatim. These are not people like Jeffrey Dahmer or Paul Bernardo or Robert Pickton, who planned things; Spencer, Li, and Yatim just snapped, with no apparent reason.

I support the NCR defense, but I equally support the extremely high bar that it must attain.

Old 07-24-2018, 11:31 PM

3,625 posts, read 3,414,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
You have to understand, this is indigenous culture from somewhere, and diversity, at work....
Not necessarily, though there may be some truth to it. We just don't know yet.

All the facts are not in. What we do know is this:

-- He lived in Thorncliffe Park. It's a 15-minute bus ride away from Greektown. Take the Pape or Donlands bus southbound from a stop on Overlea Boulevard.

-- He attended Marc Garneau High School, which is in the Thorncliffe Park neighbourhood.

-- Friends and acquaintances describe him as "quiet and polite."

And that's pretty much it for now. The investigation is ongoing, and no information will be released until the investigation is complete. Regardless, I fail to see indigenous culture and diversity as playing a role in this incident at this point. Note that I said, "at this point." The investigation, as it goes along, may prove differently.

Looking forward to the investigation results.

Old 07-25-2018, 04:28 AM

800 posts, read 730,881 times
So it is isil, Islamic terrorist group, claimed this murder. Since police ain’t talking about the Yonge incident and the Mississauga bombing one can assume they are hiding the ugly truth. We are under terroist attack and authorities have no clue how to handle it. I bet they are looking for for tips on a message board. Here is a tip kill terrorists before they kill you. Or at least kill them when they make theylor first statement, Yonge street attack. Now we look weak and it is too late. Canada is too soft. Gave terrorist too much rope to play with

Sympathize with terrorists and denounce “vigilantes” and this is the result. Now everyone has to think about terrorists on their day to day simply because you were too scar d to kill a terroist. Yes I do believe this is a cascading effect from the Yonge st incident.

Old 07-25-2018, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Understand first, that the NCR defense ("Not Criminally Responsible On Account of Mental Disorder," NCROAMD, often abbreviated as simply "NCR," and sometimes called, "The M'Naughten Defense") is an extremely high threshold to reach in Canadian law. It is in most common-law countries, also. Typically, it requires testimony from mental-health professionals, who have personally treated the accused, pre- or post-event (or both), plus other testimony as required (e.g. a family member who says, "I drove him to his psychiatrist appointments every week"). In other words, if you allege the NCR defense, you've got to be prepared to back it up--you cannot just say it, and have it stand.

That being said, you really have to wonder about people who just suddenly snap--I'm thinking about people like Brenda Anne Spencer, of "I Don't Like Mondays" fame; or Vince Li, or Sammy Yatim. These are not people like Jeffrey Dahmer or Paul Bernardo or Robert Pickton, who planned things; Spencer, Li, and Yatim just snapped, with no apparent reason.

I support the NCR defense, but I equally support the extremely high bar that it must attain.
I had the Guy Turcotte case foremost in my mind. He was a cardiologist who initially got off (so to speak) for the murder of his two kids which was a revenge against his wife who had left him. The verdict was eventually overturned.

Old 07-25-2018, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karassmatic View Post
So it is isil, Islamic terrorist group, claimed this murder. Since police ain’t talking about the Yonge incident and the Mississauga bombing one can assume they are hiding the ugly truth. We are under terroist attack and authorities have no clue how to handle it. I bet they are looking for for tips on a message board. Here is a tip kill terrorists before they kill you. Or at least kill them when they make theylor first statement, Yonge street attack. Now we look weak and it is too late. Canada is too soft. Gave terrorist too much rope to play with

Sympathize with terrorists and denounce “vigilantes” and this is the result. Now everyone has to think about terrorists on their day to day simply because you were too scar d to kill a terroist. Yes I do believe this is a cascading effect from the Yonge st incident.
It would not be that surprising as ISIS preys on the mentally unstable in order to recruit their lone wolves.

Old 07-25-2018, 05:56 AM

800 posts, read 730,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It would not be that surprising as ISIS preys on the mentally unstable in order to recruit their lone wolves.
Incel has a higher percentage of being isis it seems like.

Old 07-25-2018, 08:01 AM

3 posts, read 1,357 times
Quote:

Chevvy, No. Diversion is easy to get in Ontario. The crown does concede to it even for serious offenses. All it takes is a few Psychiatrist’s notes and you have it. Don’t try to tell me otherwise, I had a family member attacked by a man and his charges were “dismissed” because he was “mentally ill”. Did I mention this was a sexual assault and brutal beating?

The criminal justice system here is also underfunded and functioning poorly. It is easy to get out of a mess when the system is functioning poorly.

Old 07-25-2018, 08:08 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,729,878 times
Default ......

Quote:

I don't think Sammy fits in to this grouping. I thought he was high on drugs.
Also I thought he was not armed.

Old 07-25-2018, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
I don't think Sammy fits in to this grouping. I thought he was high on drugs.
Also I thought he was not armed.
Yatim had a knife. But he does not belong in that list of "killers" as he did not kill anyone. Though he did threaten some on the tramway. He died in the ensuing confrontation with police.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto