Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2012, 04:06 PM

909 posts, read 1,153,376 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I will be moving to Toronto next September for school from Calgary. I'm wondering what are some of the things I should accept and the differences from Calgary. What is it like to live in Toronto in general as a student? Also, what is the average price for Bachelor/Studio apartments in downtown Toronto? Can you get a small bachelor for around $600-800 in Downtown Toronto?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 07:20 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,724,552 times
while I always think Montreal is the best Canadian city to be a student, Toronto is not a bad choice either. We have a busy downtown, plenty of shops and restaurants as well as actitivities every weekend.

In terms of rent, $800 for a bachelor is tight in downtown, but not completely impossible. You will have to accept older buildings in less desirable location. Right in the core, it is around $1000 for a studio.

Old 12-07-2012, 09:45 AM

242 posts, read 510,812 times
One difference you will find is that Toronto is a bigger city than Calgary. The traffic is worse, the buildings are taller (and there way more of them). You will find the streets downtown always have people walking around, even late at night. The downtown core is an extremely busy place compared to downtown Calgary. You will have the luxury of being close to water, tons of beaches, underground subways, and a wide range of nationalities and languages being spoken. Another difference is weather. Toronto (especially recently) seems to miss a lot of the snow storms, and is warmer than Calgary all year round. The winters are shorter, the summers are longer and hotter. Temperatures in the summer of 30-36C are common with humidity values in the 40's. You will really appreciate being near all the great lakes with literally hundreds of beaches within a 90 minute drive of Toronto.

Downtown TO is jam packed with bars, clubs, theaters/shows, and restaurants. There are always festivals and events going on that bring out hundreds of thousands or even millions of people. Some of the funnest festivals/events are: Gay pride, Caribanna, Nuit Blanche, Tastes of Danforth, among many others. A brand new mega-aquarium is opening in summer 2013 right under the CN Tower. I think you will have lots of fun going to school in Toronto.

Rent wise, $600 to $800 will get a place in an older building. $1000 is the average for something decent. But look hard and I'm sure you will find something.

Last edited by travis3000; 12-07-2012 at 09:57 AM..

Old 12-09-2012, 12:52 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,071,109 times
$750-$800 seems to be the starting point for a bach anywhere near the downtown core, but good luck finding one. Be prepared to make apartment hunting a full time job, and the sooner you get here the better. Come September, don't even bother looking...

Old 12-09-2012, 06:57 PM

909 posts, read 1,153,376 times
Thanks for all the answers! I will probably end up living in residence anyway to save money and make it easier on me. Thanks again!

Old 12-10-2012, 08:50 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,071,109 times
eh whatever...

(you're welcome!)

Old 01-07-2019, 12:25 PM

1 posts, read 778 times
Hi,
I am also thinking to move to Toronto after my schooling's. I just wanted to know that, is it hard to buy home in toronto compare to Calgary? How about income ratio ? Because we already bought home here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto