Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 03:54 AM

32 posts, read 25,009 times

Advertisements

I was a former smoker who used to light like 12 weeks per pack (that's roughly 2 per day) and there were no signs of stopping till my colleague was diagnosed with bronchitis. He laughed it off but we continued to smoke, kind of. However, he reduced the dosage by nearly half. Everything was going fine until last week; he walks up to me with a half-smile and looked rather dull. It turns out his condition worsened (that was a no-brainer) and he had been diagnosed with stage 1 lung cancer. He was like there's no way he could quit smoking so I suggested him a solution - vaping. Vaping has to do with vaporizing liquids which turn into aerosols and produces a lot of smoke. You can even experience the taste of distinctive flavours. We've completely switched to vaping and buy regularly . We learned two things- too much of anything is bad. He talked about his new "habit" to the doctor- he said do whatever that makes him happy which is a bit farfetched but that's kind of an assurance that vaping can help curb smoking addiction and at the same time, not do too much damage(?)

Last edited by VTsnowbird; 05-10-2018 at 11:32 AM.. Reason: remove advertising link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2018, 01:31 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,728,899 times
Vaping is suppose to be worse. What makes me laugh is when people are too dumb to realize that if the sign says no smoking YOU STILL can't use a vaporizing device. I have been at concerts when chain smokers think this is going to fly then had hipster's raise hell over it. It was a good laugh at least for me. Yet in the same venue people were also smoking pot and no one said anything to them.

Oh the double standards lol.

I think there needs to be a caption under the no smoking sign to spell out you CAN'T smoking anything ( not even a ham) in public spacers.

You know what regarding your friend....

The doctor might have meant you already have lung cancer so the damage is done. The worst has happened.

If you get lung cancer smoking does not "cure it".

It could also be a what he heard vs what the doctor actually said.

I have had patients do that to me. You tell them one thing and then they twist it to mean something they wish I said lol.

I am always amazed that people still smoke.

I live with a smoker ( who is not allowed to smoke inside the house).

The other day he started to give me a lecture about using foil to cover his food stating don't you know foil gives you cancer.

I just looked at him and started to laugh.

All anyone can do is minimize these chances. Nothing is 100% going to prevent cancer. When people are sick and scared it is easy to get them to believe anything.

Last edited by klmrocks; 05-10-2018 at 01:40 PM..

Old 05-10-2018, 04:53 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,887,502 times
I'm sick of some idiots blowing vape all over the place making it look like it is as harmless as air. When they blow out it looks like exhaust from a machine or something.

Old 05-10-2018, 06:11 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,728,899 times
Default ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I'm sick of some idiots blowing vape all over the place making it look like it is as harmless as air. When they blow out it looks like exhaust from a machine or something.
It is not exactly better. No idea why people think this. Swapping addiction is not really a cure.

Old 05-12-2018, 10:55 AM

631 posts, read 400,009 times
Sorry to hear of your friend's diagnosis Alex_Mercer.

I don't want to get into any arguments here with the naysayers, but I will only say that as a former long term smoker who switched to vaping 6 years ago, vaping has been a godsend. Within days of switching, my breathing improved, energy levels increased and the morning coughing sessions stopped. Furthermore, both my family doctor, and my cardiologist approve. (The cardiologist is because I have a hereditary heart condition - not due to smoking).

I have "converted" several friends/relatives over to vaping and none of them have touched a cigarette in years.

Old 06-08-2018, 05:50 AM

32 posts, read 25,009 times
Woah, Ceira. That's certainly some reassuring news.

Old 07-21-2018, 06:51 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,072,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
My opinion of vaping is shaped by my observation that every last one of the people I see do it look like annoying tw*ts.

Old 07-21-2018, 09:06 PM

800 posts, read 730,748 times
I vape weed now . The smell dissipates better. Less toxins. Doesn’t leave a smell (if vaped outside or well ventilated area). I know it’s not good for me but explain how it’s worse for you than actual smoke?

They got they weed oils now that you can vape and it smells like e-juice. They are finding many ways to inhale weed stealthy. I personally think it’s awesome cuz I enjoy being high but people have issues with it. You can’t complain about what you do not know.

Old 08-31-2019, 08:58 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,052,417 times
The kids ruined it. (I'm 33.) It used to be so casual. Now it's all over the bloody place. Bigger batteries, coils that produce more smoke, more power!

Speaking as someone who vapes I've told people to **** off at work it annoys me when it's over the top.

I vape but I'm discreet and use coils that produce the least amount of vape. Never had a problem. Never got hassled. It was meant for people to quit smoking cigarettes.

Then I see all these kids vaping clouds and clouds. I thought to myself, jesus, quite a lot of young people are trying to quit. But no, they never smoked in the first place.

Now there's sign left right and centre and you get dirty looks. Selfish idiots ruined it.

As for it being worse than smoking? I really doubt that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
My opinion of vaping is shaped by my observation that every last one of the people I see do it look like annoying tw*ts.
See! Now we look like idiots. lol. Can't say I blame anyone who thinks that.

Old 09-21-2019, 01:53 PM

2,495 posts, read 867,838 times
It happens suddenly. They're saying all of a sudden from out of nowhere the chest of a vaper tightens and every breath becomes a struggle. Lung biopsies reveal alveolar tissue coated with what appears to be "bacon grease," and what others describe as "hardened e-liquid oil."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto