Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2008, 09:33 PM

1 posts, read 4,625 times

Advertisements

Hi
I am 23 yrs old and a single mum, i am planning on moving to Canada on the Working Holiday program for 1 - 2 yrs with my 7 yrs old child.
I don't know anyone there so solely gathering my information from the internet

I am looking at either Toronto or Vancouver.. the companies i am planning on working for are located Toronto - Yonge Street and Vancouver - West 73rd street

I need to find out how expensive and where are the best places to live in these cities?? also close to work and schooling..
As i won't have any car i will be relying on subway and buses etc..
As well as needs to be safe

Also with schools - if anyone knows which are good schools and the average cost of schooling.. public and private? she would be in grade 2

Also is there After school care or vacation care (holidays)? if so does anyone know approx costing?

I will only be on a salary of approx CAD$36,000 - will i be struggling on this with my child?

Any help would be appreciated?

thanks
Tamara

Old 09-29-2008, 08:02 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,745,841 times
Toronto has a well-developed public transit system for the city core, so life without a car is very doable. It's a large city with many different neighbourhoods, so it's hard to make a specific recomendation. Might be a good idea to stay away from the Jane-Finch, Driftwood, and Scarborough areas.

On $36 K you won't be living high on the hog, but you can live.

Old 10-18-2008, 09:14 PM

773 posts, read 1,214,972 times
I would recommend trying to look at renting first in any neighborhood off of yonge north of bloor, right off the subway line. All along that stretch are good neighborhoods with plenty of well run public schools. Private schools can be expensive but their are some in that area as well, in fact some of canada's most prestigidious. In Toronto and Vancouver after school child care can be quite expensive, in fact many young families rely on family whenever possible, but can be done, I was raised by my single mom who didn't have any family here. The city of Toronto does have cheaper programs (ymca) available and resources for finding care, yet I suspect that with some assistance through the local school you could find more flexible home-based style care available; local school parents who can earn a liitle money on the side. The good thing about the yonge street is it's a very walkable area of the city right up untill the thornhill suburbs, and is low on crime compared to other areas further west and east, unfortunately, with this rents can be a bit more expensive but you should be able to find two bedroom units for $900. If you do make it up here try to visit the tranzac at 292 brunwick just west of yonge on bloor. the tranzac or the toronto australia and new zealand club is a social venue for expats and a great place to meet new friends while you get settled down.

Old 12-07-2009, 11:38 PM

13 posts, read 79,642 times
I am from Australia, Vancouver is not as cold as I feel, I feel it very well, it's better to be cold than hot, you can just add more clothes. Renting is the best way, and they are not as spread out as Sydney or Melbourne, so getting to downtown is OK. I am now considering Burnaby, Port Moody, Coquitlam areas, they have access to good shooping centers. I really like here, more jobs as they are closer to US, much bigger market. Do your "electronics & clothing" shopping in US, although here is much cheaper than Australia already, clothes are probaly 70% cheaper. Food is very very cheap, also, water is free for rental properties, there are tons of water here, so save your water bill, hardly need A/C, so little electricity cost, gas is almost free as they have plenty underground.
I did my sum up, it is far more cheaper than Australia. There are a lot of funding assistance available in Canada for day-care, it's not cheap here compared to US, but still cheaper than Sydney & Melbourne, even Brisbane. Don't need to go to private schools, schools here are quite good compare to Australia, no such thing as "Selective school" system here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto