Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 06:15 PM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times

Advertisements

I was wondering, is Missassauga an upscale city in the Toronto area or is it a city with a mix of people from various income levels?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2008, 07:49 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,606,745 times
Mississauga has a population of approx 700,000
and has a mix of all income levels ...mostly middleclass

It has upscale areas ....Lorne Park ...Sherwood Forest...Rattray Marsh
and anything along or near Mississauga rd

Old 09-20-2008, 09:45 PM

13 posts, read 52,726 times
Lorne Park is very nice. I've always liked Streetsville myself ... pretty sure that's part of Mississauga but I could be mistaken.

Old 10-10-2008, 11:12 AM

4 posts, read 35,765 times
Mississauga is for the most part middle class. It is very multicultural. There are pockets of Missisauga that are very suburban with large groups of housing blocks. In the 'downtowny' area which runs along HurOntario St. you have Sherway mall, one of the better malls in Ontario, a lot of shopping centres, and a few highscale condos.

Mississauga is about a 20 minute commute to the city by highway (QEW -> Gardiner) or 30-40 minute commute by public transit (Go Bus).

Old 10-14-2008, 03:25 PM

25 posts, read 157,303 times
Mississauga is mixed economically and culturally. The population is about a million dollars. I'm not sure if you know from your post but it isn't a part of Toronto.

Old 10-17-2008, 06:42 PM

605 posts, read 1,843,521 times
The population is about a million dollars???
WTF
the nicest area in mississauga is minneola west
lorne park is old money
doulton estates is where the extremley rich live
and minneola west and gordon woods (the old/nice part) are newer money and have lots of doctors cause they are so close to the hospital. Minneola west (west mini) is richer and is nicer than Lorne Park.
generally, the neighbourhoods in the south and east are nicer cause they're close to the lake

Old 10-18-2008, 08:05 PM

773 posts, read 1,215,697 times
Mississauga is a huge suburban area west of Toronto, In a geographical way it's Toronto's west end but because of it's size has developed into it's own city over the last 40 years. We probably have the world's most exciting feisty grandmother of a mayor in Hazel Mccallion. I feel she has run the city quite well, and I've also have a feeling she could kick my ass if I mentioned otherwise. Mississauga like any large communities has pockets of working class(Malton) and wealthier areas(Lorne park). If you just use family income stats, Mississauga is still a wealthy city in Canada and in appearances is a healthy suburban city. However if it wants to achieve a more dense, walkable city like pre-1930's developments in Toronto, Montreal, Boston, the city planners had better start looking at eliminating the mixed use regulations and every building in a park vibe that restricts development, particularly in the mcc. I would like more parcelling of small plots for infill amongst the condos and institutional buildings around city hall. A downfall I see with amacon and daniels for example is the singular purpose developments popping up. The city was wise to reduce the height and density restrictions on the developments but there is still a strong concentration of single purpose building going on. I fing it hard to picture mcc having any Queen or Yonge streetlife. I also think if we want a work with our live/shop environment perhaps a low commercial tax structure could be implemented in mcc to offset the higher landcost and inevitable parking shortage that would drive away suburban mississaugans from conducting and starting business here. My big fear is we will just become another condo village like stc or the planned markham village(towers in the(shopping mall)parking lot).

Old 10-23-2008, 03:39 PM

25 posts, read 157,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken.or.the.nugget View Post
The population is about a million dollars???
WTF
the nicest area in mississauga is minneola west
lorne park is old money
doulton estates is where the extremley rich live
and minneola west and gordon woods (the old/nice part) are newer money and have lots of doctors cause they are so close to the hospital. Minneola west (west mini) is richer and is nicer than Lorne Park.
generally, the neighbourhoods in the south and east are nicer cause they're close to the lake
EDIT: has a population of about a million people

Old 03-08-2009, 05:46 PM

51 posts, read 98,235 times
Peel regions population 1 million+ (mississauga + brampton), mississauga = 700,000. Larger than many U.S. cities such as Detroit, San Diego, Buffalo, New Jersey, Orlando, etc. A city on its own, but sometimes still classified as a suburb of the big smoke (Toronto), because they are connected.

Old 03-08-2009, 07:40 PM

773 posts, read 1,215,697 times
Mississauga is one of the largest debt free cities in the world, which are far and few. Mississauga's policy of pay as you go policy is amazing considering that in the last 14 years, the city portion of property taxes has risen only twice in small increments of roughly 1.5%. Congrats Hurricane Hazel!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto