Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2010, 10:18 AM

2 posts, read 4,779 times

Advertisements

Dear Members,

I'm moving to Toronto from USA west coast where salary was average but cost of living was very cheap. I require information on several things and everyone is encourage to comment on one or more items and thank you in advance.

(1) A best area to live in Toronto. I'm a single female of Pakistani heritage, prefer to be close to mosque, public transportation, and in an area mix of Pakistanis, Whites, other cultures etc. Since I will be living alone, I'm looking for educated Pakistani/non-pakistani locale, not an area dominated with narrow minded people where grapevining is popular. Even though, I prefer being around Pakistanis, not looking for an area that represents mini-Pakistan. Mississauga comes to mind but suggestions are welcome. Safety is another concern plus I don't want to be too far from the downtown. I will be looking for a one bedroom rental apartment, affordable for a middle class salary.

(2) In USA, the ideal stores for cheap grocery and other household shopping were Walmart, Frys, and Food City. I want to know the comparable Canadian stores in Toronto? Also suggestions on good/cheap Indian/paki stores in Toronto.

(3) Which mosque has the most Pakistani attendees, welcoming, and offer many gatherings/events?

(4) Which company offer best cell phone plan? I had T-mobile in USA and looking for something comparable. My previous plan had Unlimited nationwide calling, Unlimited domestic txt messages, Unlimited Nights and Weekends, Free domestic long distance and no digital roaming charges across the US and I was paying $60/month. I searched the internet and can’t find a similar plan in Canada.

(5) Which company offers best subscription plan for Indian channels such as Star Plus, Sony etc. What is the average cost?

(6) Lets say if I reside in Missassauga…what is the best option, faster n cheaper to travel via public transportation to downtown and other nearby areas. Is it safe at night?

(7) Do they have airfare deals from Toronto airport, or people usually find deals from Buffalo. To travel to Europe or india/pak, is it very expensive and no deals from Toronto from what I’ve heard?

(8) What is the av. Rent for a one-bedroom apt/condo in Missassauga, is it easy to find an apt? Does it usually include parking and utilities, anything I should inquire or be aware of in renting? What type of apt is preferred for snowy weather?

(9) Best website to rent apt/condo, and to look for used cars?

(10) Are there any kind of common household bug issues in Toronto I should be aware of?

(11) I’m in Finance field and until I find a decent job, I may have to survive by some other jobs such as in malls etc. Is it easy to find work in dept stores, malls etc. How is the accounting/finance market in Toronto these days. I’ve contacted headhunters but it has been difficult to get them to respond.

(12) Upon my arrival, I will be looking for temporary and affordable housing for a first couple of weeks, any suggestions on that?

(13) I’ve never lived in snow; any special considerations or preparations should I take into account.

Please do reply to my thread. I will read each response and will be thankful.

Last edited by Ibaadat; 08-21-2010 at 10:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 06:33 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,580,750 times
Well that's a really long list of questions you have there. Did you know that there is a south Asian area in the east end on Gerrard street between coxwell and greenwood. This in my opinion would be way better than living way out in the suburbs somewhere. The area is Pakistani and Indian with some Sikhs. This area is in the city proper and only maybe 6or 7km from downtown. It's close to the beach and I see many south Asian families having picnicks down at the beach. I would strongly suggest to you that you get in touch with an Imam from a mosque in whatever area you decide and ask him the questions that you pose here. I really don't think that non Muslims like myself are really qualified to answer your questions as well as someone who understands your culture and really knows the Muslim community in Toronto.

I just looked up two contacts for you in that area. The reason I think it would be a good area for you is it's so close to downtown you don't even need a car. It's really old fashoned urban living and not at all like suburban living where nobody walks anywhere and people don't get to know one another and their is really little neighbourhood feeling.

Madina Masjid 1015 Danforth Ave. Toronto 416-465-7833

United Canadian Muslim Association of Ontario 184 Rhodes Ave. 416-462-1401.

Check out the east end, I lived there for 25 years and it's great.

Last edited by lucknow; 08-21-2010 at 06:44 PM..

Old 08-21-2010, 06:44 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,856,245 times
Pakistanis/Indians are literally everywhere so you shouldn't have to worry about anything... it'll be like back home in Pakistan for you.

Old 08-22-2010, 07:33 AM

2 posts, read 4,779 times
Thank you Lucknow and ThroatGuzzler for your reply. I know I've put down many questions but they are all important for my move. I will appreciate more comments on other above questions as well.

Old 08-22-2010, 03:01 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,258,889 times
Well as for driving in snow, it's really something you'll only get the feel for once your put in the situation. But, if it's really bad snow, obviously don't drive entirely fast, just a nice gradual pace (depending on given speed limit), and when you have to use your brakes, never press down hard on them like you're driving in clear sunny weather, just gradually press down on them.

Like I said, it's kind of something you'll learn and get the feel for once you're put in the situation, but I just thought I'd add my 2 cents in on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto