Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 06:44 AM

9 posts, read 25,773 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My wife and me is coming to Toronto on student visa. Actually my wife got student visa and i am accompaning her as a guardian. I have full time open work permit for 2 years and she has 2 years student visa + she can work for 20 hrs/week.

My question is, can i get a Truck Driving License(we are not a canadian residents) or a Taxi driving license?

I will carry my Indian driving license with me well which is valid till 2020. Can i use my indian driving license for taxi driving in canada?

Please guide,

Thanks,

Manpreet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 08:42 AM

251 posts, read 825,728 times
I doubt it very much

Old 09-18-2009, 09:04 AM

786 posts, read 2,762,347 times
If you are going to be living in Ontario for two years, get an Ontario licence. Recognition of international licences are intended to make it easier for you when you visit a foreign country, not when you live there.

I would check the Ministry of Transportation website and contact them for more information.

Here is an excerpt from the site.
Visiting or Moving to Ontario?

If you are a visitor to Ontario and want to drive while you are here, you must be at least 16 years old and have a valid driver's licence from your own province, state or country. If you are from another country and visiting Ontario for more than three months, you need an International Driver's Permit from your own country or you may have to apply for an Ontario driver's licence, depending on your length of stay. You should also ensure your automobile insurance coverage is sufficient, and that you carry the original or a true copy of the vehicle registration or Certificate of Title for your vehicle.

I don't think you would get insurance with an Indian Driver's licence.

Ontario does not recognize an Indian Licence when applying for an Ontario licence. You should read up on everything.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:38 PM

Does it mean, one has to be a Permanent Resident in order to obtain Ontario's driving license?

One more thing. Can you please sugget me an area from where Subways, buses, wall-marts(mall) are closer.

My wife would be studying in Humber college in lake shore. So my prefference would be any area near to lake shore + lower rents + Subways, buses, wall-marts(mall) are closer + indian(sikh) society.

I know its hard for you to suggest me after keeping all these things in mind, but please suggest me from best of your knowledge.

Thanks

Old 09-22-2009, 08:28 AM

As far as I remember huge sikh community lives at Brampton and North-East Mississauga close to main campus of Humber college. But you won't find subway neither at main campus of Humber, nor at Lakeshore. I think the closest place that has subway - it's Islington or Kipling area , but you'll need to take bus. I lived 10 years ago for 1 yeat in Islington area, it wasn't too bad, but I didn't aee any sikhs there

Old 09-22-2009, 06:25 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,856,245 times
Sikhs almost make up 50% of Brampton (nearly half a million population) , you should feel at home in that area. Subways are non-existent in the suburbs.. only in Toronto there are subways, there is GO transit though both bus and train.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:41 PM

Thanks alot,Could you please tell me any area of North-East Mississauga from where Lakeshore campus and shopping complex are closer and house rent is also under $500 for 1 bed room.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manpreet84 View Post
Thanks alot,Could you please tell me any area of North-East Mississauga from where Lakeshore campus and shopping complex are closer and house rent is also under $500 for 1 bed room.
It's pretty far from North-East Mississauga to where Lakeshore campus us - about 30min driving.
I dout very much that you can find rent under $500 for 1 bed room, even dorm in Humber college is much more expensive

Old 09-23-2009, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroatGuzzler View Post
Sikhs almost make up 50% of Brampton (nearly half a million population) , you should feel at home in that area.
No kidding in some places in GTA I had a feeling that I'm visiting Pendjab
generally, Indians - 1st place by number of immigrant last several years... I just surprised why Indians like so much cold Canada?

Old 09-23-2009, 06:28 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,856,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeaf View Post
No kidding in some places in GTA I had a feeling that I'm visiting Pendjab
generally, Indians - 1st place by number of immigrant last several years... I just surprised why Indians like so much cold Canada?
Majority of them get declined entry into the US due to their very strict immigration laws, so their next choice is Canada. And I agree, sometimes I feel as if i'm in Punjab too but immigrants are key for good economic growth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto