Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 11:08 AM

409 posts, read 1,460,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Your hotel room in Toronto will have the main over-the-air networks from the U.S. like ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, etc on the TV for sure. But it won't likely have ESPN or any other American specialty sports channels.

As others have said, if it`s not on an over-the-air American network, a sports bar with a satellite (which almost all of them have) might be your best bet.
It won't be legal for a Canadian sports bar to have DirectTV (to get ESPN). If they have Bell Expressview (or any other Canadian satellite system) then they'll get the same TSN and Sportsnet that anyone on cable would have.

I suppose some bar might have DirectTV and pay for it through a U.S. post office box but that is walking a fine legal line into grey-market territory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 11:24 AM

93,710 posts, read 124,459,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Derf View Post
It won't be legal for a Canadian sports bar to have DirectTV (to get ESPN). If they have Bell Expressview (or any other Canadian satellite system) then they'll get the same TSN and Sportsnet that anyone on cable would have.

I suppose some bar might have DirectTV and pay for it through a U.S. post office box but that is walking a fine legal line into grey-market territory.
That's why I say, make the trip to Niagara Falls, NY.......

Old 08-23-2009, 06:34 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,511,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cturtle View Post
I've never understood the love affair Americans have with college sports. It seems like March Madness is bigger than the Super Bowl. However in Canada we couldn't care less about NCAA sports, nor do we even really care about our own college sports. We watch hockey, that's about it.

If you really want to see the game though, and pretty much any other sports event that's televised anywhere in the world, check out MyP2P. Thanks to MyP2P I've never missed a hockey game when I'm away from my tv.
Because watching guys who sulk while making millions <<<<<<<<<<<<<< college kids who know that this is their last stop and play like it!

Old 09-05-2009, 10:49 AM

1 posts, read 5,451 times
If it's not on CBS, ABC or WTBS/Peachtree, you will probably need to find a bar that plays NCAA sports. If you have trouble finding one downtown, the Shamrock and Thistle, far west end, is a GREAT place to watch college ball. The only problem with it is the owner is a huge longhorns fan but he is nice enough so I will forgive him that character flaw.

[url=http://www.toronto.com/bars_clubs/listing/216948]Shamrock & Thistle - Bars and Clubs, Pubs, Toronto, Toronto West[/url]

Getting there: It's a trek but if you have a car or are a comfortable subway rider you will be fine. It's a bar that loves college sports but isn't a sports bar, per se. It's really a neighbourhood local. It's a very friendly place that has 8 or 9 televisions of all shapes and sizes and they subscribe to every sports satellite and cable channel possible.

I am originally from Arkansas and the Shammy has been my lifeline for SEC sports for the last eight years.

Good luck,

Jeff

Old 09-05-2009, 04:16 PM

204 posts, read 635,678 times
So much for the center of the universe...

Old 09-08-2009, 08:08 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,110,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeGuy9 View Post
So much for the center of the universe...
I am not a Torontonian and find the whole centre of the universe thing a bit absurd, but what exactly are you saying here? Does the fact that certain NCAA football games are not easy to find on TV in Toronto mean it's not a world-class city? What about Paris, London and Tokyo then?

Old 09-10-2009, 07:57 PM

195 posts, read 673,596 times
Personally I find the lack of American football, NFL college or otherwise and the absence of fantasy football leagues to be refreshing.......after years of listening to that in office chatter back in metro DC I am glad to not hear about it anymore :-)

That said, you can find it.....as others mentioned, the bars are your best bet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto