Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 10:30 AM

355 posts, read 2,369,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroatGuzzler View Post
In case you're wondering, we dont use commas instead of decimals like the euro's do. A dollar and fifty cents would be $1.50.

The best brands to buy would be Beatrice/Natrel/Lactancia.

Thank you for the info on commas. I didn't pay attention at the store, and as I was writing the post I assumed that if you used the metric system, you would also use commas/decimal points as in Europe.

The information on brands is very useful too. As a newcomer, all brands are new to me (except maybe the international ones like Nestle), so it takes time to get familiar with the different names/companies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 10:49 AM

1,654 posts, read 5,856,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgpg_99 View Post
Thank you for the info on commas. I didn't pay attention at the store, and as I was writing the post I assumed that if you used the metric system, you would also use commas/decimal points as in Europe.
We use both Metric and Imperial. When measuring someone's weight/height we use pounds and feet, with distance we use metres instead of yards and kilometres instead of miles. It'll take some getting used to.

Old 04-25-2011, 04:07 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,385,109 times
We just arrived to Toronto yesterday for a month long vacation. Yesterday with it being Easter, none of the bigger supermarkets we passed were open. We ended up going to a smaller grocery store called Bruno's. I'd highly avoid going there. It's way overpriced. I haven't been to Toronto for over a decade and was a bit shocked to see prices like that. I mistakenly assumed that all the grocery stores would be high like that.

We ended up spending $200 US on a few plastic bags worth of stuff. Nothing really. We just wanted to get a few things until today.

Today we went to Loblows and were really happy that prices were almost 50% of what that place Bruno's charges. It's not even like it was a Whole Foods where much of it is organic or products are different vs. regular stores. I'm talking about apples to apples comparison of exact same items and same brand names. Some things were 100% higher at Bruno's.

What I can't figure out is why would someone shop at a place like Bruno's when there is a Loblow's less than 5 minutes away via car? The only complaint seems to be that they didn't accept American Express but maybe that isn't so popular in Canada. Also, the Visa debit card I was using they said was declined but when I called my bank when I got home they said that there wasn't any problems but they just didn't have me input my PIN #.

Are debit cards popular in grocery stores in Canada? We loaded up a huge grocery cart and got a wide assortment of items and it was around $500 US which is more than we spend in the USA but we aren't complaining after spending $200 on almost nothing yesterday at Bruno's.

Old 04-25-2011, 05:22 PM

228 posts, read 696,565 times
Was this Bruno's Fine Foods? If so, Bruno's Fine Foods is a family owned business with a handful of locations in Toronto compare to Loblaws which a huge corporation with stores all across the country. Plus Bruno's specializes in gourmet food and I also think that a lot of their products of imported. These two factors is the main reason for the huge price difference. Most people in Toronto wouldn't shop at Bruno's unless they were looking for something very specific.

As for debt, yes debt is very popular here in Canada but our system is a little different than that US system and this is why you card didn't work. Check cards/ Credit company backed debt cards are not accepted here at most place, the only place my check card worked at was wal-mart.

The check card will work at a ATM though.

Old 04-25-2011, 05:33 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,453,976 times
I am a bit confused by this thread. I live in the US but also spend a fair amount of time in Toronto.

The supermarkets in Toronto are absolutely amazing. How can I compare them with what is available in the US? I cant. A trip to Fortinos, to Highland Farms, Loblaws, etc shows me that what I can get there, amazing meats, breads, etc, are far superior in quality and price to what I can buy in the US . The quality of the ingredients, the cuts of meat, the lack of pesticides and hormones, the variety of specialty items are breathtaking.

I am an admitted "foodie". Those who brag about Wegmans in the US (Wegmans is a fine store, don t get me wrong) have never experienced the remarkable variety and reasonable prices available in Ontario markets. How I wish I had markets here like the ones there.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:32 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,385,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatashaH View Post
Was this Bruno's Fine Foods? If so, Bruno's Fine Foods is a family owned business with a handful of locations in Toronto compare to Loblaws which a huge corporation with stores all across the country. Plus Bruno's specializes in gourmet food and I also think that a lot of their products of imported. These two factors is the main reason for the huge price difference. Most people in Toronto wouldn't shop at Bruno's unless they were looking for something very specific.

As for debt, yes debt is very popular here in Canada but our system is a little different than that US system and this is why you card didn't work. Check cards/ Credit company backed debt cards are not accepted here at most place, the only place my check card worked at was wal-mart.

The check card will work at a ATM though.
Hi Natasha,

Yeah, that was it I think. Yes, it looked to be a family owned type place. I did notice some gourmet type food items but honestly I didn't see so much and in fact some of the cheese I bought at Bruno's they also had at Loblows.

I understand if some of these things are imported like you say but we bought the same "imported stuff" at Loblows as well and it was much more affordable. I realize the price differences between mom and pop type place vs. larger stores. I always prefer the larger stores vs. smaller just due to variety and price.

But I still couldn't figure out who would do much shopping there. Yeah, if you have a few items that you can't find at other stores but to give you an example, a whole pineapple was $6 at Brunos and $2.99 at Loblows. That's just one example.

I'm not really even a comparison shopper type person as my wife usually does the grocery shopping but I couldn't help but notice the price differences.

Also, thanks for mentioning about the debit cards. The one I had with me has worked all over the world and is a Visa card as well. Never been declined before so I thought that was odd.

I was impressed with Loblows and everyone in the store was really friendly. Plus a nice touch in their bakery where they give kids under 10 a free cookie....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto