Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 09:32 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,845,970 times

Advertisements

That is wheat happens when you marry GM to Toyota you get a NUMMI from Freemont
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 09:49 PM

890 posts, read 3,705,083 times
Nice to see people are finally realizing Toyota doesn't have the value or quality they used to have. I would buy ten Hyundais before I bought a new Toyota.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:01 PM

9,542 posts, read 16,553,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosecitywanderer View Post
Nice to see people are finally realizing Toyota doesn't have the value or quality they used to have. I would buy ten Hyundais before I bought a new Toyota.

I still like the Camry but the Corolla is uncomfortable. Most of the rental car companies rent it out as an intermediate size car and not compact. I think that is very unfair to the customer, since the Corolla is the same size as a focus which is a compact.

I also think the quality of Toyota in general has gone downhill in the past few years. I hope they return to thier better days of quality cars.

I would buy a Hyundai now before Toyota and I had Toyota's for years. The new Sonata is definitely competition for the other car makers. The Elantra is a good car that has some pep, and drives like a bigger car than it actually is.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:38 PM

432 posts, read 3,662,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
I rented a corolla and had a similar experience. It was like driving a trash can with a bag of white bread under the hood. Also, I'm 6'5" and I don't think that the car was designed with me in mind.
Quite possibly the funniest thing I've read on this forum. But in all honestly, i do like white bread.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:52 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,229,606 times
I haven't driven a new Corolla so I can't comment. The last time I rented a small car the only options were a Cavalier or a Neon so it's been awhile. Both of those were fine for what they were. In the last 5 years, All I've ever gotten was Trailblazers and 1 Venture (all that was left) and they too were just fine. Last rental I was in was a Buick Enclave with 900 miles on it, I wouldn't mind owing one of those.

Old 06-18-2010, 11:28 AM

1,710 posts, read 4,141,998 times
I haven't driven a 2010 Corolla, but I doubt they have deteriorated to the point to be compared to Detroit offerings. The Corolla is the best selling car in the world. There's a reason for this. It is an all around good vehicle. It was the most purchased new car in the cash for clunkers program. It is a car that is good in all categories, probably not excelling in any one point over it's competition, except maybe MPG, but it also has no faults. It is a good car for a good price that will give years of excellent service. That is something Detroit has yet to come out with.

Old 06-18-2010, 11:36 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,847,092 times
My 01 Corolla is not exactly the same car, but even though it's as exicting as driving a square, it has ALWAYS taken me where I've needed to go. I'm up to 150K and 10 years with zero problems. Not bad for a car I bought new for $12K.

Last edited by Chango; 06-18-2010 at 12:45 PM..

Old 06-18-2010, 02:39 PM

432 posts, read 3,662,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
I haven't driven a 2010 Corolla, but I doubt they have deteriorated to the point to be compared to Detroit offerings. The Corolla is the best selling car in the world. There's a reason for this. It is an all around good vehicle. It was the most purchased new car in the cash for clunkers program. It is a car that is good in all categories, probably not excelling in any one point over it's competition, except maybe MPG, but it also has no faults. It is a good car for a good price that will give years of excellent service. That is something Detroit has yet to come out with.
My family just retired two chevy cavaliers.... one with 262,000 miles with nothing but routine maintenance.... still ran fine but got bored of it, and another with 150,000 (was running perfect but rear ended by a silverado ). And I could drive 9 hours in them without getting unucomfortable (although bored). As far as boring cars go I can't complain for cars that cost less than $10k brand new.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:42 PM

9,542 posts, read 16,553,143 times
The Corolla is a dependable vehicle and has been for many years. It has failing marks for its comfort level though. Many consumers have complained for years about the seating comfort in this model car. Also the angle at which the seat is to the steering wheel isn't always appealing to many. For many the distance is to far and adjusting the seat puts the legs in an uncomfortable position. Toyota needs to work on those two problems and never has.

Avis and Budget rental car locations are inundated this year with Toyota Corollas as well as the Chevy Impala and Cobalts. I mentioned before the cars that the manufacturers provide the most to the rental car companies, are the ones not selling as well as they need to. The cars that we are not receiving this year reflect the higher sales and that is Hyundai.

Old 06-19-2010, 10:16 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,884,047 times
I owned an '03 for a couple years because it was the best econobox we could afford to be new when we needed a second vehicle. Traded it as soon as we were in an financial position to do so. It was not an awful car, but it was dull and performed poorly in rainy conditions (never again do I buy a car without ABS)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion