Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 07:16 PM

2 posts, read 6,255 times

Advertisements

Hi! My name is Emily and I work with the San Diego Toyota Dealers. I'm not sure if you noticed, but Toyota USA is currently running a marketing campaign that recognizes Toyota families and brand appreciation. Coming from a Toyota family myself (I was passed down an '89 Corolla), it really made me wonder: Do others have the same loyalty?

So my question is, do you drive the same vehicle brand as your parents? Also, how involved is the entire family when it comes to a new car purchase?

Thanks in advance for your input, and I hope your having a great summer!

-Emily

MOD CUT

Last edited by NewToCA; 08-11-2010 at 09:18 PM.. Reason: advertising
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 07:37 PM

745 posts, read 1,567,734 times
My parents drove an Oldsmobile, a Dodge, a Plymouth and others. Those are the ones I remember. I have driven a Plymouth, Mercedes, Volkswagen, Honda, Mercury and Toyota, so I guess we switch it up. I got the Toyota because I was told by others that they are reliable and that is the number one feature I look for in a car. Number two is affordability.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:52 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,920,312 times
I'll put in my .02 before this goes over to the auto forum. I had a 1970 Toyota pickup in high school. It was only a year old when I got it. I put over 200k hard miles on that truck hauling motorcycles, dune buggies, and camping in the mountains. My dad bought a few Toyotas over the years and I still have the last one he purchased> '92 Truck now at 195k miles and runs perfect. I don't think I'll ever get rid of it.

Last edited by vfrpilot; 08-11-2010 at 07:53 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 08-11-2010, 10:19 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
No my parents drove oldmobile. I was in the 90's when i first satrted buyig hondas and toyota. two eyars ago I no longer needed a trcuk so bouhgt a new Honda because i liked it better than the similar toyta I tested. my wife drives a toyota ans has has as great relaibilty as she did with her previous honda for 11 years.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:45 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,691,909 times
I'm going to allow this type of posting as long as the OP is asking a genuine question.

I don't really believe that most kids will have the same brand loyalty as their parents. Older generations tend to have more brand loyalty while younger generations buy whatever trips their trigger.

My parents have owned Ford, Chevy, Cadillac, Lexus, and Porsche...during the years I've been around. I couldn't tell you what they owned before. Right now my dad drives a 2009 F-150 as a primary driver but also owns a C2 Corvette and a 2011 F-350 and mom drives a 2008 Lexus LS460.

I have a 2010 F-150 and 2005 Corvette Convertible, I guess it may be coincidental that I own the same type of vehicle as my parents but I wouldn't call it brand loyalty.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:52 PM

1,302 posts, read 2,947,352 times
yeah, life is too short for brand loyalty, IMHO. At one point in time, my family's owned one car from each Japanese carmaker. I'm currently on my first GM vehicle myself, and I could go either way next. The 2nd gen CTS is looking like a nice car, but I wouldn't mind trying something new, either.

Old 08-12-2010, 01:24 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,285,627 times
I prefer the old Pontiacs. Yes, the ones with their own engine brand, not the "corporate" junk engines after 1981. As for brand loyalty after then, no. Just make it US Built by a US company. I just won't buy a chevy out of the dislike of gm's internal politics. Would I buy a gmc? yes. would I buy a buick? Which one that I have you want to know about? The GS or LeSabre? The kids today don't have much loyalty instilled in them. This is because their parents didn't have either. Look at the import brands, aka 4 tired acts of treason on the roads, most are driven by people who got out of high school in the later 70's and younger. Yep, the same group trying to find good paying american jobs today. Need I say more?

Old 08-12-2010, 06:32 AM

143 posts, read 374,524 times
My parents have always typically driven Fords or Chevrolets.
After seeing how well those held up, and held value ...

I have a Nissan
And finally convinced my mom to get a Toyota, after listening to her complain about her previous four vehicles.

I think as far as trucks go, my dad will always have loyalty toward domestic, and Ford/Chevy seems to make much better pickups than cars, and if I were to get another truck in the future, I would likely consider them right along with Toyota or Nissan. I drove a Ford F150 and a Chevy S10 for a while and really liked them, so it isn't really based on my dad's preferences. But as far as cars and wagons, unless Ford and Chevy really manage to turn themselves around before my next car-purchasing time (or Toyota, Honda, and Nissan really nosedive), I really don't think I'll be looking at them. And I really don't forsee myself ever being able to afford anything European, so that's not an issue.

He did raise me to be loyal to one brand though ... Harley Davidson.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:06 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
My dad's first and last cars were Oldsmobiles (a 1915 and a 1982), but in between, it was all Fords , then Dodges (40s and 50s) and then Pontiacs.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:32 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,282,410 times
My parents have little to no brand loyalty, and neither do I. We all hav favorties from various brands, but no real brand loyalty. I've owned cars from most major manufacturers (Ford, GM, Chrysler, AMC, Honda, Nissan/Datsun, Toyota, Subaru, Suzuki, Mazda, Hyundai, Isuzu, Audi, BMW, MG, Triumph, Jaguar, Land Rover, Porsche, VW, Renault, Fiat) over the last 30 years. And I've liked and had good luck with all of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion