Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 05:35 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,937,683 times

Advertisements

The fact remains if you want the most reliable car on the road today buy a Toyota. I did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 06:04 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,867,361 times
Toyota really makes a great vehicle, they were selling them cheap with all the bad press and sold a boat load of them. Trust me, these folks will become loyal Toyota owners. It's a win win for Toyota. JM2C

Old 08-20-2010, 10:07 PM

890 posts, read 3,709,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waitingtundra View Post
Toyota really makes a great vehicle, they were selling them cheap with all the bad press and sold a boat load of them. Trust me, these folks will become loyal Toyota owners. It's a win win for Toyota. JM2C
Our family will never buy another Toyota product after the experience we've had with my mom's 2002 Lexus RX300. It has been impeccably maintained to the schedule and we've owned it since new (12 miles on it and it was a custom order). Not a year has gone by where something hasn't gone wrong with that car. The brake rotors warp at the drop of a hat, it's burned up six or seven power radio mast motors, a seal in the engine essentially exploded without provocation ($3,000) and the transmission decided it was ready for retirement at 107,000 miles ($6,000). My 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe has not suffered any sort of catastrophic failures and it has never needed to see a tow truck. Also it has 144,000 miles on it.

The main reason we chose the RX300 was because of the 1993 Previa she had before it. That car was bullet-proof and over 177,000 miles, it never once faltered or failed. In the 11 years we owned it, I think we had three or maybe four things actually need to be replaced that weren't maintenance items.

Toyota may still make a decent car but they aren't the great car they used to be....trust me on this one. The new ones can border on pure crap and overpriced crap at that. I drove a 2008 Highlander once and it rattled more at 12,000 miles than any other car I've ever driven regardless of origin or mileage. It was downright embarrassing how poor the quality was.

Old 08-21-2010, 09:51 AM

19,023 posts, read 26,018,361 times
Toys don't cut it in NH USA, probably not in Maine or vermont either. They turn to rust flakes ina box over 3 winters. A constant battle.

I never owned one yet, but worked on them in the 70's when they were still carbed cars and the carbs were hellish nightmares. You could work on the carb easy enough, but the drillings would still clog, air pumps seized early, and ever since i haven't really enjoyed the bred.

The 94 'Pick Up' blew it's head gaskets and that was no fun, every part rusted and corrodied and I oil everything with ATF with a wand, so there should not be any rusting.

The frame is weak from rust and the box cvhannel frame should be illegal. The seating is hell to, but it is rugged other wise.

I do not agree with fly by wire period. I never will either. I know cables wear, get hung up and so does linkage, but there is a easy std fix.

I am not sure if the ecu can cause a run away vehical, but I know ecu's can go bad and do strange things. I work with these as needed and find road salts have entered the box. The terminals can be green with crude and change values in milivolts.

There is no diagrams most often for what is inside these ecu boxes and the dealer books awaya state state "Test with a good known Unit" The problem there is there is never a tested good known unit. No dealer is going to subject any unit for testing. There is simply too much cost and too much risk that the problem will take out the good known unit, so since 1970 I never saw a dealer with a test unit yet.

When the ECU is bad all you hear is These never go bad, but they do and i have seen several myself.

All it takes is a high resistance on any connector, wires to the ecu and or a bad sensor, and or a bad ground anywhere in the system.

That can be on any of around 60 wires.

Is runway throttle a ECU related problem? I don't know. Is Toy over rated? I think so.

Can the ecu and the pedal pull this stunt? It sure is possible.

Will I or the average Joe every really know? probably not.

It will take a good tech and a good engineer to some how duplicate the problem and have it last long enough to track and trace and that isn't going to be any 15 minutes of labor.

Me: I got out of this BS a long time ago, because i was just sick of the way we were used as test pilots, with more than useless items changed in mid model years for no real reason.

When something works well why mess it all up? I can recall when no relays and 4 fuses were all it took to make a car go.

Now it takes 40 fuses, 16 fusable links that are just so much fun to determine if they are bad, and 37 relays, and 700 miles of wire, and the cars still just go.

The improvements are based on bun warmers, drink holders, cell phone chargers, tv in stero, and steamed hot dog makers are not far off in the future.

I would like a Toy Land Cruiser like they were only in Stainless..... A dual pair of matched final drives for a 4x4 hi, and 2 wheel high range at 2.73 : 1 and 5.60:1 The first for fuel economy and the 2nd for lo lo 4x4 to work.

Old 08-21-2010, 10:41 PM

24,521 posts, read 33,395,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
The fact remains if you want the most reliable car on the road today buy a Toyota. I did.
Too small, bland styling and too much plastic for me.

I'll stick with my two Cadillacs, my Lincoln and my Plymouth, which are just as reliable and a lot more fun to drive. Might as well drive what I like to drive.

Old 08-21-2010, 10:45 PM

44,258 posts, read 64,524,640 times
I don't know what the verdict will be or is on who is really to blame (the electronics or the drivers), but I do know that Toyota will know better than to disobey the local and federal government when they want their way again.

Old 08-21-2010, 10:46 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,518,047 times
Then why all the recalls and fixes to millions of their vehicles?

Old 08-21-2010, 11:37 PM

44,258 posts, read 64,524,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Then why all the recalls and fixes to millions of their vehicles?
Lawyers.

Old 08-22-2010, 08:37 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,924,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
You didn't/don't know anything, no one does. Everything is still under investigation.

The title of this thread is incorrect since nothing has been PROVED one way or another.

um.. no software issues wee found. What more proof do you want. Do you think all of a sudden, the people investigating this is going to change their minds and say that it was not driver error. Use you head.

Old 08-22-2010, 09:15 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,600,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
um.. no software issues wee found. What more proof do you want. Do you think all of a sudden, the people investigating this is going to change their minds and say that it was not driver error. Use you head.
Electronics can go crazy regardless of the software. Things like moisture, corrosion, bugs (insects), electrical shorts, or electronic frequencies can effect electrical/electronic devices. I don't know how the ECU is built in the Toyota. I'm going by work related experiences. Our heart monitors were not working right and the tech solved the problem by replacing two fluorescent bulbs that were going bad. Smoke detectors going into alarm due to high humidity or corrosion in the wire. We've had techs come out and say "it shouldn't be doing this at all" even though it was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion