Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 07:44 AM

3,511 posts, read 5,319,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest209 View Post
Well, this weekend I traded in my 2007 Camry, I am no longer a Toyota driver. I must say, I was a bit dissapointed. My parents always had Toyota products, 6 in a row to be exact. So my first car with the family was logically a Toyota Camry. I got the SE, which I think is a great looking version of the car, I liked the interior, the way it drove, even though the 4 cylinder is GUTLESS. On the negative side though: RECALLS, I know things happen, but just my luck, the biggest recall controversy to supposdly one of the best car companies, and the model I bought. Besides that, my water pump went bad at 30,000 miles. Yes it was under warranty, and yes bad parts can happen, but that is unacceptable. Went through brakes prematurely I thought, although I won't blame that on them, because operator comes into play on that one. Overall, it was only a few things, and I think the good does outweigh the bad with the model, but I with other options I don't know if I will ever go back. With Honda pulling away as #1 IMO, and Hyundai,Ford,Subaru, Nissan, even GM getting better and better, Toyota isn't as sure of a thing as a car choice as I thought before the Camry.
What, someone else doesn't like Toyota and there are actually other cars out there that are as good or better? Impossible!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2010, 09:56 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,787,326 times
I can understand getting upset about a water pump or a fuel sensor, but brake pads? Just go to the parts store and get yourself a set of premium pads, problem solved.

Old 09-11-2010, 06:36 PM

2,558 posts, read 2,923,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I can understand getting upset about a water pump or a fuel sensor, but brake pads? Just go to the parts store and get yourself a set of premium pads, problem solved.
I wasn't upset it's just the symptom of using cheaper parts by the manufacturer to save a buck.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:17 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,802,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I actually think it's a legit gripe. Many manufacurers have been cheaping out on stock brake pads/rotors on "regular" cars for sometime now. It used to be that a set of stock brakes would go 30k-40k miles easy. Now many people are changing at 15k-20k. Ironically they tend to fail soon after the 12k courtesy brake warranty expires.

It's really a two sided issue. The manufacturers want to improve brake performance, so they go for more aggressive pads to improve stopping distances. These pads have an inherently shorter life span unless you buy "good" ones. Good ones, cost more money, so they cheap out and buy shorter life pads, that give better performance.

Your solution is the correct one, but it still doesn't alleviate the manufacturers of the fact that they are doing this.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:01 AM

114 posts, read 361,055 times
Very true about the brake pads--this is a widespread issue not limited to Toyota. What drives me nuts is that rear pads should last much longer than the fronts, but often don't from the factory because they're ultra-thin. I was very surprised when I had to replace the rears first on my front-wheel-drive Mazda.

People seem to expect Toyotas to have zero problems. I'm not sure this was ever realistic. They do have problems, but continue to have problems less frequently than cars from other manufacturers based on responses to TrueDelta's Car Reliability Survey.

Old 09-13-2010, 12:13 PM

2,558 posts, read 2,923,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkaresh View Post
People seem to expect Toyotas to have zero problems. I'm not sure this was ever realistic. They do have problems, but continue to have problems less frequently than cars from other manufacturers based on responses to TrueDelta's Car Reliability Survey.
No I expect problems but I expect them on the frequency of our 1996, 1998, and 2003 Toyota's. The general cheapening of the product is what bothers me.

Old 09-13-2010, 12:43 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,650,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
No I expect problems but I expect them on the frequency of our 1996, 1998, and 2003 Toyota's. The general cheapening of the product is what bothers me.

Exactly!!

Old 09-13-2010, 01:29 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,334,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Not only that, but if you are trying to dominate the market, a lot of that market is Homer Simpson types who can't tell the difference and want the automotive equivalent of Duff beer - mediocre, but cheap. Only idiots want to serve this segment of the market.
To be fair, there is long list of car makers that strove to make "the best" only to have no buyers because the best costs money. Companies are in business to make money and survive, and a trophy for the absolute best in the business does no good if your business closes down. As a money making entity, a company needs to go after the lowest common denominator in order to profit. Other wise they go out of business or become absorbed into a much larger company.

So no, not only idiots want to server that segment. Companies that want to prosper serve that market.

Old 09-13-2010, 01:46 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,493,363 times
I still think Toyota makes a good truck. The cars, nah. I been with Honda for years and am still a very satisfied owner. Far as GM "getting better and better", no offense but people really need to wait a few years for the truth to be told. Sure they are making nicer looking cars, but I'm still guessing the reliability is still crap after 5-10 years.

Old 09-13-2010, 02:54 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,334,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
I still think Toyota makes a good truck. The cars, nah. I been with Honda for years and am still a very satisfied owner. Far as GM "getting better and better", no offense but people really need to wait a few years for the truth to be told. Sure they are making nicer looking cars, but I'm still guessing the reliability is still crap after 5-10 years.
Well, the reliability hasn't been crap for the last 10 years, so you're already off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion