Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 12:32 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waitingtundra View Post
Well Toyota's bad luck has worked out well for me. The first generation Tundra's in the parking lot at where I work have had real good luck with there trucks. I suspect I'll have pretty good luck with my 08. Heck I've had it for 2 years and could sell it for about what I paid for it, say it aint so.
That must have been one smoking deal considering that Tundra's depreciate about 31.5% in the first year and then about 5.5% in each subsequent year, which is pretty normal for a truck.

Again, I never said it was a bad truck, because outside of the 2007, it isn't. Just that it's been less than a success for Toyota.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 01:19 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,860,623 times
Oh it was a damn good deal but like JD powers noted, Tundra has the best resale value in the 1/2 ton market, along with the fewest problems. I know the 5.7L with the 6 speed auto woke up the domestics, no replacement for displacement ford/gm 6.2l with 6 sp autos. YEA lets see from 3/07 to 6/09 460,000 tundras with the economy and all not bad. Most likely will have this truck for the next 15 years, but even so I wouldn't sell Toyota short. 5 years ago Ford was selling twice as many rangers as toyota was selling tacomas, at the present time that has more than reversed. I dont know but what they tweek the suspinsion a little and with a direct injection push up the hp to the 420 range with say 25 to 28 mpg it'll get even more interesting, and all on regular fuel.

Old 09-17-2010, 02:41 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waitingtundra View Post
YEA lets see from 3/07 to 6/09 460,000 tundras with the economy and all not bad.
Over the same period Ford sold 1,619,727 F150's and GM sold 1,888,495 Silverado/Sierra's.

Given that Toyota never expected to beat F150 or the GM twins, but sales were projected at 200k units per year, they still came up 140k short.

Again, not arguing it's not a good truck, just that it has not been well received in the market place, or at least not to the level Toyota expected out of their first real foray into the 1/2 ton market.

Old 09-17-2010, 05:58 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,860,623 times
Yea it's been a tough economy, just ask Dodge and GM, I guess if you paid MSRP youd take a 31.5% the first year. Just keep working on quality and the numbers will come, course when gas jumps to 5$+ a gallon all truck production will take a huge hit. Some claim by 2012. I know when I bought my fairly well equiped tundra the salesman shook his head in disbelief as he had sold a Corrola the day before for the same price. Thats when all those post about prius's change's to who has them in stock. I know we don't have that short a memory, it was just a few years ago. Yall be all right just remeber the right pedal is the gas and the one to the left is the brake.

Last edited by waitingtundra; 09-17-2010 at 06:48 PM..

Old 09-19-2010, 11:43 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
As an ex-Toyota fan, I can agree with what youre saying. I bought used Toyotas (with low miles for their respective years) for many years, Ive owned 4 in fact. Each and every single one of them had several problems, some very expensive. I didnt give up on the company until owning my last Toyota (Paseo). Between needing a new axle, radiator, t-stat, and front shocks before 50K miles, I said, WTH is this??? My 3 domestic cars I owned (Cavalier, Capri, Focus) didnt have 1/2 the problems my Toyota did, between all 3 vehicles!!!! Since then my brother has taken ownership of the car and has had both rear shocks blow out, the engine is burning so much oil that he has to add it on a weekly basis (180K miles), and he had to replace the transmission after a carrier bearing broke and left him stranded.

Toyota quality? Might be a bit of a misnomer. Ive been in the industry long enough to see all the problems with them first hand. Sure Toyota's products arent as bad as many others, but I think people drink too much of Toyota's Kool-Aid, seriously. I know I did for many years! But after spending thousands of dollars on repairs I was done. And besides, I found that I could get a domestic that can outperform them in their class, for less money, cheaper to insure, and if needed, cheaper parts.

THe final draw for me in walking away from Toyota is the fact that they are the most boring car company on earth with uninspired designs, failing quality, and the complete lack of soul/fun. Add to that high costs, high parts costs, etc, and Im boycotting them until someone over at that company can stir the stick.

Old 09-19-2010, 08:16 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,461,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest209 View Post
Well, this weekend I traded in my 2007 Camry, I am no longer a Toyota driver. I must say, I was a bit dissapointed. My parents always had Toyota products, 6 in a row to be exact. So my first car with the family was logically a Toyota Camry. I got the SE, which I think is a great looking version of the car, I liked the interior, the way it drove, even though the 4 cylinder is GUTLESS. On the negative side though: RECALLS, I know things happen, but just my luck, the biggest recall controversy to supposdly one of the best car companies, and the model I bought. Besides that, my water pump went bad at 30,000 miles. Yes it was under warranty, and yes bad parts can happen, but that is unacceptable. Went through brakes prematurely I thought, although I won't blame that on them, because operator comes into play on that one. Overall, it was only a few things, and I think the good does outweigh the bad with the model, but I with other options I don't know if I will ever go back. With Honda pulling away as #1 IMO, and Hyundai,Ford,Subaru, Nissan, even GM getting better and better, Toyota isn't as sure of a thing as a car choice as I thought before the Camry.
There is NO SURE THING anymore with any car manufacturer. And Honda isn't pulling anywhere. Actually it is harshly criticized for losing the innovation edge that once characterized it.
A few months old, but still worth reading:
http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...4024664807.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Brilliant post.

Additionally, a lot of the quality surveys hold all cars to the measure of how many "problems" they have. It's not as hard to have few problems with a car that has manual windows, no sun roof, no heated seats etc etc etc.

Toyota in particular has offered a lot more in terms of features in moving from the role of inexpensive reliable transportation to mid range on up where they are today. New models, more options, more features and even keeping quality static you are going to have more problems.

They still make many fine vehicles but the old blanket statement that they are "better" than various domestic models is no longer true....and personally I'm not willing to pay a premium for "higher quality" when it's based upon older vehicles.
Forget "blanket statements" about car companies.
What premium are you paying today for a Camry over an Accord or Nissan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
THe final draw for me in walking away from Toyota is the fact that they are the most boring car company on earth with uninspired designs, failing quality, and the complete lack of soul/fun. Add to that high costs, high parts costs, etc, and Im boycotting them until someone over at that company can stir the stick.
When were Toyotas fun to drive? They stopped making those Celicas and Supras years ago... Toyotas provide reliable transportation for average American families and mothers driving their kids to school.
High cost? Do you think fixing a similar problem in an Accord, Maxima, Audi, Subaru, Volvo or even a Ford will cost less? Do you know what Acura TL owners endured?

Last edited by oberon_1; 09-19-2010 at 08:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion