Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 06:27 PM

2,176 posts, read 3,412,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waitingtundra View Post
And don't forget about profits as Toyota's profits for the quarter ending in September were among the strongest the car maker has ever recorded, guess they wont need a bail out anytime soon.
The Japanese government never subsidizes Toyota.

Dated November 5, 2010

Toyota lifts outlook but yen, weak sales a worry (http://www.calgaryherald.com/story_print.html?id=3782791&sponsor= - broken link)
Quote:
TOKYO — Toyota Motor Corp. raised its annual forecast for a second time as Japan’s subsidies to stimulate demand helped almost double quarterly earnings, but a firm yen and weaker sales are key risks.

The world’s top automaker had been rescued by Tokyo’s generous incentives favouring the hybrid segment it dominates, but part of that stimulus ran out in September and this is set to hammer sales in Japan for the foreseeable future.
Toyota in desperate plea for $2 billion in emergency loans - Times Online

March 3, 2009
Quote:
The loan-financing arm of Toyota, Japan’s biggest industrial giant, is understood to have approached a state-backed fund for as much as $2 billion in emergency loans.

A request for Government funding from the Japanese giant is expected to trigger a deluge of other demands for capital by other of the country's struggling industrial companies.

A spokesperson for the Government-backed Japan Bank for International Co-operation (JBIC) said that they were evaluating “multiple” funding requests from across corporate Japan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 09:01 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,869,240 times
Quote:
TSBs are also issued in recognition of pattern failures
And enough pattern failures lead to what...............Hidden Recalls in American cars and Real Recalls in everything else.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:08 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,917,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
And enough pattern failures lead to what...............Hidden Recalls in American cars and Real Recalls in everything else.
Examples?

Old 11-10-2010, 10:02 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,826,826 times
Quote:
People in the industry have pointed out the "hidden recalls" conducted by the major Japanese companies for years. Honda is the worst perpetrator, but Toyota isn't far behind. The American car supporters pointed this out for years in defense of the recall rate on American cars versus Japanese cars and especially in terms of composite reliability scores. Now that Toyota is being forced to actually issue recalls, people are trying to flip it around.

If anything, the American companies have generally been far more forthcoming and direct with recalls, especially GM. Ford still plays games like this, but no where near the level the Japanese companies do.

Old 11-10-2010, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
Examples?
I've got one from both sides:

Ford (current issue) - 6 speed transmission issues in the Fusion and Escape. Mainly realted to hard shifting that leads to transmission failure, no recall issued. A redesigned part was put into the production stream and the TSB involved reprogramming the cars ECM's to "improve shifting" which just meant slower shifts and different engine calibrations. Failed units will only be covered under the warranty period.

Honda (effected cars built from 1999-2003) - 6 speed transmission issues in all V6 equipped vehicles, including the Odyssey and Accord. An improperly designed gear and lubrication system led to premature wear and failure of the unit, often in the 40k - 60k range. Honda issued a TSB, but steadfastly denied there was a major problem. Only after a class action lawsuit, did they issue a recall to check the cars and apply an extended transmission warranty for the cars.

A similar issue is torque converter issues in Civic's and Accords from the same years. Honda issued a TSB, but will not issue a recall. No lawsuits were ever filed. They have extended courtesy warranty to vehicles that are just out of the warranty period when the failure occurs, but they won't go further than that.

Old 11-10-2010, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Examples?
Just google Secret Warranties or Hidden Warranties and see what comes up.

Google the Ford Windstar rear axle. it finally became a recall this year after nearly a decade of TSB's related to it were issued.

Its more common to say "Its a known issue" on a Big Three Car, than a Japanese car.

Big Three Cars have gotten better through the years. Why? Because numerous components are manufactured in foreign countries.

Old 11-10-2010, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Just google Secret Warranties or Hidden Warranties and see what comes up.

Google the Ford Windstar rear axle. it finally became a recall this year after nearly a decade of TSB's related to it were issued.

Its more common to say "Its a known issue" on a Big Three Car, than a Japanese car.

Big Three Cars have gotten better through the years. Why? Because numerous components are manufactured in foreign countries.
You obviously have no real automotive experience other than internet forums. "It's a known issue" is a pretty common statement in the service shops of every make and model. Nothing is perfect and in fact most of them are pretty much all the same.

Old 11-10-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:
You obviously have no real automotive experience other than internet forums.
No reason for personal attacks. You want to stand behind the American Brand, no problem. I've worked on American cars ever since I could sit on the radiator with my legs around the engine. But the only place I see quality in American vehicles are in the trucks.

Old 11-10-2010, 11:17 AM

Quote:
No reason for personal attacks. You want to stand behind the American Brand, no problem. I've worked on American cars ever since I could sit on the radiator with my legs around the engine. But the only place I see quality in American vehicles are in the trucks.
I apologize for what could be considered a personal attack. What I should have said was that you obviously don't have much industry experience. I don't really defend any brand, even if I have my personal preferences. Every brand has their issues and blackmarks, it's just that some have done a much better job covering it up over the years and it is generally NOT the American companies. What you are claiming with shadow recalls and things is generally the criticism of the Japanese brands and has a lot of truth behind it.

Old 11-10-2010, 01:28 PM

14,200 posts, read 22,849,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waitingtundra View Post
And don't forget about profits as Toyota's profits for the quarter ending in September were among the strongest the car maker has ever recorded, guess they wont need a bail out anytime soon.
The Japanese government works side-by-side with its automakers on research and development. It's how Toyota successfully designed and engineered the Prius. There's no need to be bailed out by the government when you're already in bed with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion