Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 03:34 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times

Advertisements

Don't laugh.. ok, maybe just a little , but I am thinking about how viable it would be to turn my 2011 Camry into a sleeper street racer.

I've done several hardcore 4X4s, but low and fast are a new area for me.

I got a more or less stock V-6 Camry. I am honestly impressed by the power it's got (0-60 in 5.8 seconds, not bad for a family car) and I although I'm a newbie to the hobby, I'm thinking the Camry makes a decent starting platform that no one would see comming.

So is this too crazy to work? Any advice/warnings from those who have build sleepers before?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 03:41 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,869,902 times
Its fwd and a trans that was not designed to handle much hp. Buy an 87 Buick regal and drop in a 25 psi turbo v6 and make yourself a real street sleeper that is fast..

Old 02-01-2011, 04:09 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,215,941 times
Don't even bother. Those cars are designed to be A-B commuters and nothing more. Anyways... whatever you'll need to do will certainly void the warranty.

Old 02-01-2011, 04:48 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,903,387 times
Does Toyota Racing Development offer some go-fast parts? Check with your dealer or the TRD website. There might be a supercharger as they have offered them in the past (don't remember which engine) and they'll certainly have at least the usual exhaust/strut bar/coilover sort of parts.

Old 02-01-2011, 06:18 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,771,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
Buy an 87 Buick regal and drop in a 25 psi turbo v6 and make yourself a real street sleeper that is fast..
Agreed, though you don't have to necessarily "drop in a 25 psi turbo 6" into one; They've been putting turbo 6's into Regals since 1978, however 1986-87 models were the zenith of the turbo Regal and the best to work with.

You can pick one up for cheap now that we're in a recession, throw in a chip and some 110 octane, turn up the boost and have an instant fast car. Just also make sure you know how to detect detonation and lift if so.

And if you don't want to do 110 octane, you can run 93 pump gas and a meth injection kit from alkycontrol.com and do the same thing. 25 psi is about max on what you want to run; I'd shoot more for 23 psi. Either way it'll be a fast sleeper capable of keeping up with, if not outrunning many V8 cars.

Old 02-01-2011, 06:29 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Google "Wraith Camry" - not sure it's the same generation, but there is nothing new under the sun really. Although. For the money you would have in such a "sleeper" you could buy all sorts of mid-grade collectible sports and collector cars. Beware, too, of heavily uprating only engine horsepower on a street-driven car. You can end up with the engine writing a check that the brakes and suspension can't cash.

Old 02-01-2011, 06:39 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,869,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
Agreed, though you don't have to necessarily "drop in a 25 psi turbo 6" into one; They've been putting turbo 6's into Regals since 1978, however 1986-87 models were the zenith of the turbo Regal and the best to work with.

You can pick one up for cheap now that we're in a recession, throw in a chip and some 110 octane, turn up the boost and have an instant fast car. Just also make sure you know how to detect detonation and lift if so.

And if you don't want to do 110 octane, you can run 93 pump gas and a meth injection kit from alkycontrol.com and do the same thing. 25 psi is about max on what you want to run; I'd shoot more for 23 psi. Either way it'll be a fast sleeper capable of keeping up with, if not outrunning many V8 cars.
what I was saying that a garden variety non turbo regal with a flat hood and hubcaps would be lots cheaper. Then buy a TR drivetrain and drop it in. Engine to 8.5" rear.. leave the flat hood, no spoiler and hubcaps there.. I know a few guys who have done this and it turned out really good.. and cheap

Old 02-01-2011, 06:44 PM

41 posts, read 153,210 times
Although the camry seems like a regular car, today's modern sedan have become fast and powerful vehicles. For comparison, the nissan altima has a strong v6 also, and the maxima has 300hp I think, and paddle shifters too probably. So the idea of a camry being sporty isn't off base.

Furthermore, the new camry, which I believe you have, has the 2gr-fe v6 engine which moves your car 0-60 under 6 seconds. Sports car 5 years ago did that and were considered to be leading the pack, now camry's and altima's do it.

Also, the 2gr in your camry is the same one in the new Lotus Evora mid-engine 2+2 sportscar. So its a good engine, wrapped in a useful body platform.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:31 PM

1,955 posts, read 10,979,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaka chatra View Post
So its a good engine, wrapped in a useful body platform.
Alas, it's driving the wrong wheels. Torque steer is already an issue - adding more power is only going to make it worse.

To the OP ... if you want a sleeper, start with something that came with less power. Like a Volvo 240 station wagon. These started with 114 hp; it's doing over 4 times that now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uh_Y74jvMZk

V8 engine swaps into RWD Volvos.
JTR Volvo 200 Series V-8 Conversion
Converse Engineering: Home of the "Volv8"

Old 02-01-2011, 11:22 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,885,624 times
Meh, it's FWD. Not many cars pushing over 300HP to the front wheels. I guess you could always put a bottle of nitrous in the trunk. Not sure how long the drivetrain would hold up though.

If you want a sleeper, get a Pontiac G8 GT and do a cam/heads upgrade, push over 400rwhp. Good for a low/mid 12 second car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion