Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 01:47 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,780,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWatson13 View Post
Go back to the Alabama forum.
Ha ha, make me.

How old are you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 01:51 PM

78,433 posts, read 60,628,324 times
I would like everyone to not that the original link was to a customer satisfaction index ranking.

So, Lexus buyers were really happy with the Lexus that they purchased.

Case closed.

Old 03-22-2011, 01:52 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,536,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I would like everyone to not that the original link was to a customer satisfaction index ranking.

So, Lexus buyers were really happy with the Lexus that they purchased.

Case closed.

Also

Quote:
*Lexus ranked highest in the J.D. Power and Associates Customer Satisfaction with Dealer Service (CSI) Study in 2011, 2010, 2009, 2006, 2001, 2000, 1999, 1998, 1997, 1995, 1994, 1993, 1992 and 1991 (tie).

Old 03-22-2011, 02:19 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,426,799 times
To judge a car by its parent company is stupid. Is a Bentley any less awesome because it's owned by Volkswagen? How about Rolls-Royce...nothing but a BMW anyway. For that matter, M-B sells inexpensive daily drivers in Germany...does that dilute the brand in any way?

Old 03-22-2011, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
To judge a car by its parent company is stupid.
Who's doing that?

Quote:
Is a Bentley any less awesome because it's owned by Volkswagen? How about Rolls-Royce...nothing but a BMW anyway.
And Lambo is owned by VAG. So what? Are you trying to draw some parallel to their arrangement as Lexus is to Toyota? Are you trying to tell me Lexus existed on its own as an autonomous company building luxury cars and was subsequently bought by Toyota?

Surely you know better then that right? Its not the same.

Quote:
For that matter, M-B sells inexpensive daily drivers in Germany...does that dilute the brand in any way?
I don't know, does it? I guess we'll see when BMW and perhaps Mercedes introduce a line of cheap FWD vehicles in the US. Maybe they've held off doing it for this long because they were afraid of just that.

Old 03-22-2011, 03:12 PM

Actually, Lexus was designed from the ground up as a separate company to build luxury cars specifically for the US market. The LS flagship was an all-original car. So yes, it's an apt comparison.

Old 03-22-2011, 03:25 PM

Quote:
So yes, it's an apt comparison.
No it isn't. Lexus is akin to GM creating Saturn or Toyota creating Scion. Not like Daimler Benz buying/"merging" with Chrysler or Renault with Nissan. Lexus hasn't been spun off and their bosses answer directly to the Toyota heads in Tokyo.

For some reason pointing out that Lexus are Toyota built vehicles is akin to spitting on them and disrespecting them to fanboys. It is amusing and annoying at the same time.

Old 03-22-2011, 03:29 PM

It's because it's invariable done in a derogatory way. As if being made by one of the most successful companies in history is something bad.

In fact, I only notice it pointed out in regards to Lexus. Overwhelming success brings overwhelming jealousy, I suppose.

Also, Scion used re-badged Toyotas, not entirely new products. Saturn did use a brand-new purpose-built vehicle, and was very successful at it until GM screwed it up.

Old 03-22-2011, 03:35 PM

Quote:
It's because it's invariable done in a derogatory way.
I have done no such thing. But apparently just mentioning it is derrogatory.

Quote:
In fact, I only notice it pointed out in regards to Lexus.
So you've ignored it done in this thread for Cadillac and Chevrolet? I've observed "it" done for Infiniti and Acura too.

Quote:
Also, Scion used re-badged Toyotas, not entirely new products.
You're going to tell me that when Lexus started out with just two cars, that the first ES, known as the Camry Prominent/Vista was designed with the foreknowledge as a Lexus only product? No. Absolutely not. It was a quick badge job so the first Lexus dealers would have something else to sell.

Old 03-22-2011, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I have done no such thing. But apparently just mentioning it is derrogatory.
No, you've repeatedly pointed it out in such a manner as to imply that it somehow makes Lexus less a luxury brand.

Quote:
So you've ignored it done in this thread for Cadillac and Chevrolet? I've observed "it" done for Infiniti and Acura too.
Comparisons of Cadillac to Chevrolet are stupid. Chevrolet isn't an automaker, it's a GM brand much like Scion is to Toyota.

Its done sometimes in regards to Infiniti and Acura, but never like it is to Lexus. As soon as someone mentions Lexus, it draws out the ignorant people who pretend that Lexus isn't a luxury brand because of its parent company.

Quote:
You're going to tell me that when Lexus started out with just two cars, that the first ES, known as the Camry Prominent/Vista was designed with the foreknowledge as a Lexus only product? No. Absolutely not. It was a quick badge job so the first Lexus dealers would have something else to sell.
So what? The LS, which was the important model at the time, was purpose built.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion