Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2011, 09:45 AM

3,564 posts, read 4,408,539 times

Advertisements

Greetings. One month ago I had the clutch replaced in my 2004 Scion xA. The vehicle had been performing fine since then.

However, on Monday April 11th I drove up a steep hill and parked my car on a flat surface. An hour later I returned to my car and started it up, but could not get it out of first gear. After several minutes, I was finally able to move the shifter to neutral. I as I drove on, it became easier to shift between gears, but still there was an abnormal amount of resistance.

Tuesday morning I took the car back to the mechanic who replaced the clutch. That evening he called me and simply said that I needed a new transmission. And with that he gave me two prices for two used transmissions.

First of all, I seriously doubt I need a new tranny. I'm more inclined to think that the problem is linkage related. Second of all I seriously doubt the mechanic dropped the tranny to determine the problem.

I'm considering picking up my car today no matter what condition it's in and taking it somewhere else.

Has anyone had a similar experience with their transmission?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 09:48 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,649,646 times
7 year old car, good chance the transmission is worn as well. Worth getting a second opinion.
Too often the econ-o-box cars do not have the best available equiptment.

Old 04-14-2011, 05:25 PM

152 posts, read 498,468 times
The Xa is a Yaris/Echo cross. Very/very reilable. Depending... on your mileage you probably are being fed a line of BS.

Strike that, the mechanic is right, it is junk, sell it. I need a parts car for my Xa (80K) and my Echo (147K), I'll buy your Xa. Of course since it is so bad I can't pay that much...

Last edited by Traeger; 04-14-2011 at 05:28 PM.. Reason: Humor line

Old 04-14-2011, 05:55 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,146,834 times
I can't say with 100% certainty but I'm willing to put money down that there is nothing wrong with your transmission.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:27 AM

3,564 posts, read 4,408,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
I can't say with 100% certainty but I'm willing to put money down that there is nothing wrong with your transmission.
I gather you're right. My tranny is probably OK. I picked up my car from the mechanic Wednesday afternoon. I asked him how he'd come to the conclusion that I needed a new tranny. He was lost for words. I mentioned the linkages. He said he sprayed WD-40 on it and that it was now much better. I checked it out and sure enough, the resistance was much less than previously. I told the mechanic I would not be replacing my tranny for now as he'd suggested.

I've driven my car around since Wednesday. There is a significant amount of resistance during shifting, when the car is cold. The resistance dminishes (and altogether disappears) as the car heats up.

I am still puzzled as to what is causing this resistance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion