Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 12:52 AM

1,472 posts, read 3,545,803 times

Advertisements

I bought a new "leftover" 2010 Mitsubishi Lancer Sportback GTS in April for $17,100 with tax and license included (in California no less). Had "10" miles on it. Automatic trans, auto climate control, power everything, 18" Enkei alloys, theft alarm, Mitsubishi six speaker stereo, integrated Bluetooth. Plus I don't have to be ashamed to be seen in it (I don't care for the Prius's looks).

You could have gotten any brand new 2011 gas compact like a Toyota Corolla, Subaru Impreza, Honda Civic or Mazda 3 with zero miles on it for the same price as that used Prius with 43K. Plus it would most likely be faster (almost a given) and handle better. The high MPG of a hybrid may be nice but it'll probably take you years to recoup the extra cost over a similar gas engine car getting 30-35 MPG. Plus a untold numbers of strange rear ends haven't sat in the seats.

I'm a big new car fan - never have liked buying used (I usually keep mine for about 8 years so depreciation isn't such a big deal). I know, I could be nice and say "great job, enjoy your car!", but you did post in a public forum asking what folks think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 06:48 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,440,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffredo View Post
I bought a new "leftover" 2010 Mitsubishi Lancer Sportback GTS in April for $17,100 with tax and license included (in California no less). Had "10" miles on it. Automatic trans, auto climate control, power everything, 18" Enkei alloys, theft alarm, Mitsubishi six speaker stereo, integrated Bluetooth. Plus I don't have to be ashamed to be seen in it (I don't care for the Prius's looks).

You could have gotten any brand new 2011 gas compact like a Toyota Corolla, Subaru Impreza, Honda Civic or Mazda 3 with zero miles on it for the same price as that used Prius with 43K. Plus it would most likely be faster (almost a given) and handle better. The high MPG of a hybrid may be nice but it'll probably take you years to recoup the extra cost over a similar gas engine car getting 30-35 MPG. Plus a untold numbers of strange rear ends haven't sat in the seats.

I'm a big new car fan - never have liked buying used (I usually keep mine for about 8 years so depreciation isn't such a big deal). I know, I could be nice and say "great job, enjoy your car!", but you did post in a public forum asking what folks think.
We did look at other options. My favorite was a 12 year old Volvo, I'd go thru it and replace every sensor and pump I could with new, and still only be out about $6000 total.

I don't know about the others, but we did look at Civics and their safety rating was absolutely horrendous. The Prius is 4 and 5 star, the Civic IIRC was a 2 star.

There were certainly other less expensive options that is for sure. Corollas were, like you said, new at that cost. But she didn't want a Corolla, and neither did I . We weren't concerned with handling or speed, it's transportation plain and simple, and the utility of the Prius is second to none with the back hatchback and fold down seats.

Unfortunately, I didn't want to buy a $20k car. That is one big check. But if we did, I wanted something for my $$ (MPG). Previous car was bought for $4k 6 years ago. So we are a little out of our element here. We'll see how it goes. If I wasn't gone from home for 4 days a week we'd still be driving it but she wanted something more (perceived) reliable. When you look at how much money you lose on a new(er) car, it makes my stomach sick.

I'm actually going to drive her car now, and go thru mine and refurbish it. It's 16 years old so I have to put a new pair a rings on the pistons, swap out the tranny, and replace the struts as well as tear down the interior and replace the carpet.

Old 07-11-2012, 04:06 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,575,988 times
We just bought a used 2010 CPO Prius with 49k miles for 17,500. Same trim as the OP's. Let's hope it lasts for the long haul. This is my first Toyota and first hybrid

Old 07-12-2012, 05:36 AM

337 posts, read 1,023,481 times
Even with lots of new compact options, the Prius is still hard to beat for pure utility. Back in 2005 when we bought ours, it was a no-brainer. Congrats on your purchase!

Old 07-13-2012, 03:59 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,802,587 times
Great utility, and still nothing comes close to the mpg's. I have a 2012, the heavier package 5 with the 17" plus package wheels (less aerodynamic) and a hitch rack on the back and still regularly get over 60mpg on my commutes. It may not be sexy, but it's got all the toys and my gas bill plummeted like a rock. I put that extra cash right into savings every week.

Old 07-13-2012, 04:49 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,122,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
Great utility, and still nothing comes close to the mpg's. I have a 2012, the heavier package 5 with the 17" plus package wheels (less aerodynamic) and a hitch rack on the back and still regularly get over 60mpg on my commutes. It may not be sexy, but it's got all the toys and my gas bill plummeted like a rock. I put that extra cash right into savings every week.
So you got the heavier car with less aerodynamics and get 10mpg (20%) more than what it is rated at?
Are you driving downhill or stuck in slow-moving traffic all the time?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion