Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 04:12 AM

1,617 posts, read 5,688,207 times

Advertisements

Check with your city first, but it may be OK to dump the antifreeze down the toilet for the waste treatment plant to handle. In some places that's OK, in others, it's not.

(Do not do that with a septic system. That would be the same as dumping it on the ground. A septic system works completely differently from a waste treatment plant.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 08:32 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,699,699 times
Whatever you end up doing with it, I would remove it from the Yaris immediately. If your luck is anything like mine...NOW is when one of those old containers will decide to spring a leak!

Old 01-08-2012, 08:38 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,669,617 times
Get rid of the stuff... honestsly you probalby won't need any of it for 2-3 years.

Old 01-08-2012, 03:24 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,758,226 times
car 54--nah the antifreeze is up here in my apartment. wouldn't keep it in the new car. anyway i have a trunk bag that i cleaned and I just keep some essentials in it in the cargo area. jumper cables, tire caps, a portable auto vac, scrapers, collapsible shovel, etc

and i left the big protective towels covering the cargo area and rear seat from when i drove the car home. watch em' stay there for the entire life of the car...!!!

Old 01-08-2012, 03:53 PM

Default Steering wheel clubs

i recently replaced my old club with a newer one for my old tercel. when i use it on my new Yaris the fit is very tight as the wheel is a 3 spoke and the spokes are thicker than the 2 spoke wheel i had on the old tercel

the first night i clubbed the wheel but i was a little concerned that the fit was so tight that the club might end up setting off the horn or even defacing the vinyl on the wheel so i haven't used it since

do i even need the club now with the new key technology that will not start the car unless it's my key? are clubs a thing of the past now? they were popular in the 90's but now i don't know

Old 01-08-2012, 04:26 PM

Default this concerns me

last night i had the new car parked on a sidestreet.

this afternoon i parked it there in the same spot. 2 cars behind me i noticed an older Yaris with the Toyota emblem off and the car generally had that tacky cheap car look commonly associated with older Yarises (from what i have been reading many say the Yaris is an ugly car)

tho i never noticed if the older yaris was parked there before is it possible someone put the car there so they could plan to take some of my new parts and dress their older car up with it? or am i being ridiculous? it was blocking the driveway of a private house so it's possible the car belonged to someone who lives there or to a visitor(a common practice in some of the outer boros of NY City)

perhaps i am looking and thinking too much?

Old 01-08-2012, 06:04 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,669,617 times
You have to understand rule #1 about cares, the more you care, obsess and freak out about your car, the more bull**** happens to it.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:00 PM

17,235 posts, read 57,237,072 times
Assuming the antifreeze you have is the correct Toyota stuff, I say keep it as you will need it eventually. If you want this hoopty to last, you will change the coolant out about every 2 years. Likewise the brake fluid. I know space is at a premium in any NYC apartment, but these can be put in your closet or in a box in the trunk of the new car against the day you need them.

You know, I posted up many times about how if you buy new, you will experience grief as the car starts to collect "urban rash" as any car parked on the street in NYC will. Not sure what to tell you now, beyond grin and bear it.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:46 AM

I also have bottles of Mazda (got them from my parents RIP from their old 1994 Mazda 626) glass cleaner, fabric Cleaner and vinyl protectant from my old Tercel

would you recommend i hold on to these or dump them?

as you know i am a packrat so i could use some advice because we all know that the packrat's motto is always "when in doubt, hold on to it!!"

Old 01-12-2012, 11:27 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,469,714 times
In this case, when in doubt, throw it out! You don't have the storage space in a garage, and don't need to live with chemicals in your apartment right now, etc. Anytime you may need the fluids in the future, you can purchase the products inexpensively, products that have not degraded due to age. You can easily get a container of glass wipes and fabric cleaning wipes/spray at Target to put in the trunk and periodically use to clean the car. For the vinyl parts of the car, including the dashboard which can get faded by the sun when parked outside, a bottle of Zymol will do much more to protect the car than the older products that you have from the old car. So, my vote is to clear house, buy a bottle of Zymol, and a container of glass wipes, and you should be good to go right now. You are under warranty, so if your coolant is low, go back to the dealership immediately because a new car should not be leaking a drop of coolant.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion