Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 08:34 PM

137 posts, read 274,527 times

Advertisements

We just bought one, and have about 300 miles on it now. I'm pretty disappointed w/ our gas mileage so far - we're getting 35mpg. I'm almost exclusively driving it around town (we went on the freeway once - which actually boosted the mileage considerably from what it was).

Any tips for getting good mileage on hilly city pgh area streets? It seems like the gas engine almost always has to be on because we're forever going up hills...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 10:54 PM

137 posts, read 274,527 times
found a prius forum... very disappointing info, if anyone was interested. running around doing short trips in the south hills in the winter is not going to do anything for increasing mileage.

apparently the prius "likes" warm weather and flat-ish terrain.

Old 01-20-2012, 11:32 PM

132 posts, read 266,238 times
Short winter trips eat up gas quickly. When its very cold outside and you start your car, it spends more time in "warm up mode," idling a little higher and running very rich until it reaches stoichiometric (the point where your engine is fully warmed up and running at its highest efficiency). The colder it is, the longer it takes for your car to reach stoich. In addition, we are on winter mix gasoline right now, which also causes a slight mileage drop.

Fuel Mileage Dropping? Blame The Winter Blend Gasoline

Driving up hills put a much greater load on the engine which uses much more fuel than coasting along a flat surface, so if mpg is a priority try to avoid them (but thats nearly impossible here in Pitts..... lol ). Your best bet is to consolidate your trips and make sure your tires are inflated to the recommended psi. A fuel perks card from Giant Eagle or somewhere wouldn't hurt either.

Old 01-21-2012, 12:01 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,879,034 times
Want great mileage? Get a diesel

Old 01-21-2012, 12:06 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
I just bought a Honda Civic Hybrid and am also having a strong case of buyer's remorse due to my trailing fuel efficiency being far less than promised. I average in the mid-20s for city driving and have only reached a peak of 42 miles per gallon while trying every trick in the book on a highway road trip. I specifically paid a premium to buy a hybrid figuring I'd be filling up my gas tank less when in REALITY I'm getting comparable fuel efficiency to my belated Mazda3.

Hybrid vehicles suck.

Old 01-21-2012, 01:45 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,031,392 times
Buy a Mitsubishi. The new electric one gets 112 mpg.

Old 01-21-2012, 05:50 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Where they really shine is in warmer weather and stop-and-go traffic situations. That's why you see so many in LA, Miami, Dallas and DC. Driving uphill puts a greater load on the engine, but coasting down hills boosts your mpg. We usually see a significant leap in mpg when the weather gets warmer.

By the way, I bought one a few years ago after we had a big snow storm down here. I work for a small company that handles vital deliveries, so we don't close for snowstorms. We had a kid with a pick up who was supposed to do our deliveries, but he called in and said he couldn't come to work due to the snow. My boss owned a Prius, and she not only handled all the deliveries, she then drove over to the kid's house to make sure he was ok. I couldn't believe some of the snowy streets that car handled. After that I decided I had to get one too. I love it, but then again down in my neck of the woods we have ideal weather for a car like that and we have hills that are gentle rolling bumps rather than steep Pittsburghian hills. And to be fair, when I drive up to Pittsburgh I usually take our Maxima.

Old 01-21-2012, 07:04 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,700,155 times
Gas mileage depends HEAVILY on your driving style. If you are driving primarily in city stop and go traffic, and you "race" or accelerate hard between red lights, you'll never get optimal mileage. Driving on hills in dry, wet, or snowy weather will also greatly affect. Driving from the city to Cranberry is an uphill ride, and I get 26 to 28 mpg's in that direction, whereas coming home, I can darn near get 31.

I hear people complaining all the time that their cars don't get the mileage stated. And it's funny we are talking about Prius......I've laughed so many times while commuting, where I'm going along at say 65 to 70 mph, and I get passed by a Prius doing upwards of 80. My first thought is "what's the point of having one if you're going to drive it that fast" and my second thought is "I can just hear that driver bitching that their Prius isn't getting good mileage"

I drive a 6 speed manual, and one huge key to gas mileage for me is shifting before 3500 rpm's

Old 01-21-2012, 07:06 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,700,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Where they really shine is in warmer weather and stop-and-go traffic situations. That's why you see so many in LA, Miami, Dallas and DC. Driving uphill puts a greater load on the engine, but coasting down hills boosts your mpg. We usually see a significant leap in mpg when the weather gets warmer.

By the way, I bought one a few years ago after we had a big snow storm down here. I work for a small company that handles vital deliveries, so we don't close for snowstorms. We had a kid with a pick up who was supposed to do our deliveries, but he called in and said he couldn't come to work due to the snow. My boss owned a Prius, and she not only handled all the deliveries, she then drove over to the kid's house to make sure he was ok. I couldn't believe some of the snowy streets that car handled. After that I decided I had to get one too. I love it, but then again down in my neck of the woods we have ideal weather for a car like that and we have hills that are gentle rolling bumps rather than steep Pittsburghian hills. And to be fair, when I drive up to Pittsburgh I usually take our Maxima.

The old adage about one car being better or worse in the snow is an old wives tale, ANY car is only as good or bad in the snow as it's driver and the tires it is equipped with

Old 01-21-2012, 07:15 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Winter cold hurts millage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion