Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 04:32 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,130,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
It has excellent fuel economy. But over a five year period you would spend less money if you bought a Mazda 3. During that five year period your Prius would use less fuel. But the Mazda would be much more fun to drive. So if "intelligent car choice" includes money spent, the Prius is not such a clear winner.

(data from Edmunds and their "True Cost to Own" estimates)
I went to that site and compared the Prius 4 to the Mazda 3 and also the Camry Hybrid. You are going to come out paying maybe $5,000 more for the Prius, $7,000 more for the Camry. But over the first 5 years, Edmunds predicts that the Mazda's total cost of ownership will be $37,317, while the Prius' will be $38,324, a difference of $1,000. If you keep it longer than 5 years, and the trend continues, the Prius will end up being cheaper to own in the long run. (The Camry is predicted to cost $41,355 over that 5 years.) A good part of the fact that the Prius is less expensive to own is gas costs. I am not sure about the "fun" factor. I have had inexpensive, noisy cars all my life, and now that I have just turned 60, I think I am ready for a quieter, more comfortable car, not a sporty one. So I'm glad you enjoy your Mazda, but since Consumer Reports says that "Noise is pronounced" in it, I will probably not go that direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 04:38 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,130,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I think perhaps if Pruis C production can ever meet deamnd at under 19K it will be well worth the price as far as price paid verus milage.
Well, the Prius C got a full review in the July Consumer Reports. They said it does get the best mileage of any hybrid they have tested, but "suffers from a stiff ride, very noisy cabin, slow acceleration and cheap-looking interior trim." Even the Honda Fit got a better road test score. So I'm not sure it would be worth it from the standpoint of comfort.

Old 07-18-2012, 04:46 PM

17,241 posts, read 57,280,961 times
One does not want a quiet, comfortable car because he is old, but the reverse - one who prefers a quiet, comfortable car over a sportier car is indeed old for this reason. And given this definition, to paraphrase The Who, "I hope I die before I get old!"

I have plenty of colleagues who drive sports cars, and motorcycles, some up into their 70's.

Philosophy aside, you will have to drive a fair number of miles to recover the added cost of the Prius.

But, if you like it, buy it. I have a few colleagues who have them, and like them for the fuel economy - but to me at least they are strictly an "appliance car" - a device to move you from A to B - and not something that moves you in the figurative sense. I have never seen anyone take a Prius out for what the Brits call "a blatt" - just to go for a drive for the sake of going for a drive, maybe go through a tunnel and tread a bit harder on the loud pedal just to hear it...so it's a bit like eating ramen noodles for dinner - it's cheap and gets the job done, but just.

Old 07-18-2012, 06:36 PM

363 posts, read 991,385 times
Buy a Prius to save more fuel for the rest of us. I have one of these on the back of my Excursion.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:28 PM

25,901 posts, read 16,627,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phone man View Post
Buy a Prius to save more fuel for the rest of us. I have one of these on the back of my Excursion.
Excursion? Thanks, I forgot to put that on my list of vehicles I would be embarrassed to be seen in.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:27 AM

3,004 posts, read 6,296,546 times
My wife has one 2012 Prius II and it's great.

She drives about 60miles + a day and gets 51 MPG on average.

It has tons of room and (has been) and will be very reliable.

The only annoying things are that it beeps when it backs up, and well that's about it.

Generally, it's obviously not the sportiest car, but it's surprisingly quick, especially in power mode. It does wallow in corners, but, again you're not buying the car for that.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:33 AM

34,941 posts, read 36,391,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
Well, the Prius C got a full review in the July Consumer Reports. They said it does get the best mileage of any hybrid they have tested, but "suffers from a stiff ride, very noisy cabin, slow acceleration and cheap-looking interior trim." Even the Honda Fit got a better road test score. So I'm not sure it would be worth it from the standpoint of comfort.
I have a Prius C (IV). I love that car. I bought it a couple of months ago to replace my Honda Insight. The Insight got crappy mileage. Cheapest, most useless nav I ever used, too.

It's not any louder than any other non-luxury car I've ridden in. Better than my Insight. Or my Civic.

Before it got so hot out, I regularly got that baby up in the 60s in town. 50s on the highway. For MPG.

Now that it's so hot out, I'm coming in around 47-48.

It's a great little car. Not boxy like its big brother. Not as cool as my husband's Volt. That IS a neat car to drive.

Old 07-19-2012, 05:19 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,467,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
The only annoying things are that it beeps when it backs up, and well that's about it.
If it's like the 2nd gen Prius, that beeping can be turned off. Search online, or search PriusChat, for the procedure.

If it beeped on the outside, I would have left it alone. But beeping on the inside?

Old 07-19-2012, 08:16 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,273,439 times
Quote:
That is because the Prius C is based on the Yaris, a very poor car. Perhaps the worst Toyota on the road today.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:20 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,273,439 times
Quote:
I went to that site and compared the Prius 4 to the Mazda 3 and also the Camry Hybrid. You are going to come out paying maybe $5,000 more for the Prius, $7,000 more for the Camry. But over the first 5 years, Edmunds predicts that the Mazda's total cost of ownership will be $37,317, while the Prius' will be $38,324, a difference of $1,000. If you keep it longer than 5 years, and the trend continues, the Prius will end up being cheaper to own in the long run. (The Camry is predicted to cost $41,355 over that 5 years.) A good part of the fact that the Prius is less expensive to own is gas costs. I am not sure about the "fun" factor. I have had inexpensive, noisy cars all my life, and now that I have just turned 60, I think I am ready for a quieter, more comfortable car, not a sporty one. So I'm glad you enjoy your Mazda, but since Consumer Reports says that "Noise is pronounced" in it, I will probably not go that direction.
The longer term cost of the Prius will benefit from the fuel savings. But A Prius will need a new battery somewhere near 150K miles. It is unknown what major service is required for a Mazda 3 or similar car.

It is of course your choice what is more important to you. The Mazda is clearly a better handling car. It is also much quicker. But that may not be important to you. For me the improved fuel economy of the Prius is not good enough to outweigh its shortcomings. I would rather have a 40 MPG gasoline car that is fun to drive than a 50 MPG hybrid that is not fun to drive and costs more (at least over five years).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion