Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 08:52 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,969,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
Generally, it's obviously not the sportiest car, but it's surprisingly quick, especially in power mode. It does wallow in corners, but, again you're not buying the car for that.

no offense to you or anything, but in general, I get annoyed when I hear Prius owners say things like "they are surprisingly quick" or "they actually arent that slow." In reality, the Prius is a slow, boring, commuter car, nothing more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 09:46 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,656,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I have a few colleagues who have them, and like them for the fuel economy - but to me at least they are strictly an "appliance car" - a device to move you from A to B - and not something that moves you in the figurative sense.
Of course, the rational response is to say that that is exactly what a car is.

I've had a Gen 2 (2008) Prius for about three years and it's been great. I have to admit to feeling a little guilty pleasure when gas prices go up, because that means that my investment is paying off that much faster.

Negatives: the starter battery isn't much so you wind up replacing it, and it's not cheap. Also, rear visibility is poor and the backup camera can be deceptive--you generally have less romm than you think from the display, so watch out!

Positives: Very comfortable for driver and passengers; very good economy (my current average is a little over 45); reliable; plus some cool features like the passive keyless entry and start, very quiet when you're driving in ninja mode, watching the display that shows you how much gas you're saving.

I've never had trouble in wind. With the electronic traction control you can on rare occasions stop in very slippery conditions, but we get a good amount of snow up here in Vermont and I have no trouble driving. There are a lot of them on the roads up here, so I suspect I'm not alone.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:39 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,085,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcu25rs View Post
no offense to you or anything, but in general, I get annoyed when I hear Prius owners say things like "they are surprisingly quick" or "they actually arent that slow." In reality, the Prius is a slow, boring, commuter car, nothing more.
Websites are quoting roughly 10 second 0-60 time for most recent versions of the Prius, compare to a 1987 2.0 L Camry (time is for a stickshift car) of 9.1.

Since I own an 87 Camry, I have a seat-of-the-pants knowledge of that a car that will do about a 9 second 0-60 is like to drive - it's what I would call adequate acceleration, but not really "quick" by modern standards.

And straight-line acceleration is probably the Prius's strongest performance trait - from what I have heard, they wallow horribly in corners.

For anyone with decent wrenching skills, the Prius is by no means the cheapest per-mile car to own. In non-rusting country, just one example, an old Golf GTI can be bought and put in good nick for $3000 or less, will get 30 MPG all day long, and is FUN TO DRIVE - why buy a $23 hotdog when you can have a $3 steak instead?

Old 07-19-2012, 07:45 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
That is because the Prius C is based on the Yaris, a very poor car. Perhaps the worst Toyota on the road today.
It depedns as their are many gas power vehicle that have the same problems. One can't expect a cadallac for under 19K in a hybrid. Really doen;t matter because they are almost impossble to find since they are flying off the showrooms with like 165K order backlog i first two months.

Old 07-20-2012, 04:09 AM

3,004 posts, read 6,275,645 times
Quote:
Again, "surprising" being the operative word.

From all intents and purposes you'd think the Prius was as slow as a dangerously slow Automatic Mercedes 240d. It's not.

----
About the reverse beep for Gen III's I found out it can be turned off, but only if you have certain tools or go to the dealer.
----
Lastly there are Priuses with over 300k that haven't had a battery fail and then there are those with under 100k that have. I live in California and my warranty for the battery is 10yr/150k; I'm not too worried.

We bought the Prius because it was and is the most dependable new car with 4 doors with a real world average of 52MPG. We plan on keeping the car for 10 years.

We wanted to buy used, but there weren't any to my wife's liking; that would have obviously maximized the cost of ownership but honestly that wasn't the main issue for us. After having cars that broke down way too often, we just wanted a reliable, new car with a warranty that got great gas mileage. And for that you can't beat the Prius.

Old 07-20-2012, 02:51 PM

391 posts, read 840,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdysMom View Post
Just bought a Prius V wagon. Love it! It is bigger inside and out than the car, but the mileage isn't as good as the car. It's brand new (600 miles) but it got 45.5 with 100 city miles and 200 highway miles. I drove it in Houston on the free ways and toll roads with no acceleration problems at all. The Prius has a power mode that gives you extra acceleration when you need it. The hybrid components (battery) warranty is 8 years 100,000 miles.

Although I'm brand new to Prius, I know several people who have them and love them.
Absolutely. I love how my normal prius handles, gas mileage, and everything it comes with. Since I do a lot of climbing, 7000 ft worth, I thought this car would struggle on the mountain freeways, nope. Though it drains the battery, it still climbs like no ones business. We have no complaints with ours. One of our local dealerships advised the last battery they replaced was for a local taxi company. The car had 300,000 miles on it before they replaced it!!!

Old 07-20-2012, 03:58 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,804,905 times
Quote:
It's no different than any little naturally aspirated 4 banger.
Pretty quick off the line, actually. More than adequate for daily driving, and this is coming from a long time, modified 2.0 turbo driver.
It's slow when you are trying to hypermile, as any car would be.

Old 07-20-2012, 04:14 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,969,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
It's no different than any little naturally aspirated 4 banger.
Pretty quick off the line, actually. More than adequate for daily driving, and this is coming from a long time, modified 2.0 turbo driver.
It's slow when you are trying to hypermile, as any car would be.
Yeah and most NA small 4's are slow...that was my point, it's just generally slow.

Old 07-20-2012, 04:24 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
A very good and trustworthy mechanic I know said he studied the hybrids, and came to the conclusion that the Honda Civics are the best, better than Prius. I don't know why. I met an owner of a hybrid Honda Accord, and she said it gets no better mileage than the standard Accord, plus because the hybrids depend so much on electronics, the electronics on the Accord gave her trouble. But the Civic seems to do well. Has anyone had trouble with the electronic components in the Prius?

Old 07-20-2012, 05:13 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,275,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
A very good and trustworthy mechanic I know said he studied the hybrids, and came to the conclusion that the Honda Civics are the best, better than Prius. I don't know why. I met an owner of a hybrid Honda Accord, and she said it gets no better mileage than the standard Accord, plus because the hybrids depend so much on electronics, the electronics on the Accord gave her trouble. But the Civic seems to do well. Has anyone had trouble with the electronic components in the Prius?
A regular Honda Civic (used and well taken care of; as it's been stated) might be better if you're just looking to save money overall (and if you're handy and willing to take care of an aging car), but new Civic hybrid vs. Prius and the Prius has the much more refined drivetrain. Honda's IMA just isn't there yet.

Handling and anonymity are pluses for the Honda, but in most reviews and based off of personal experience the Prius has more room, storage space, a few more amenities and is a bit more comfortable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion