Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 09:06 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
The guys at CNW made a big ham a while back about how the Prius battery would be prohibitively expensive to replace and would die before long. That isn't the case - you can get a battery for under $1,000 by now. 04 and newer Prius Parts Cars
That site sells stuff taken from wrecked cars. You can't buy a new battery for $1000. And you have labor to consider. Also gotta be sure the battery is recycled.

I have nothing against a Prius per se. But you aren't doing anyone a favor by understating true costs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2012, 10:04 PM

391 posts, read 840,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomadAK View Post
I'm curious-will a Prius work as a car if the battery fails? Drive off only the ICE?
Why would you drive a prius with a discharged battery? If the starter battery is dead, just like any car, it won't start. As with any car, you get a jump, and good to go. Go replace it and never worry about it.

While going through this recently, if the car battery is dead, the car acts funny and doesn't keep charge well on the hybrid system. Replaced it and good to go.

Old 07-24-2012, 03:43 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,804,905 times
Interestingly enough, I hear if you run out of gas, this shuts down the car completely and you can't even use the battery to limp off the road. I believe it's some sort of "safety" to help keep the battery system from being damaged. But it has taken a couple people by surprise.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:34 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,449,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
Interestingly enough, I hear if you run out of gas, this shuts down the car completely and you can't even use the battery to limp off the road. I believe it's some sort of "safety" to help keep the battery system from being damaged. But it has taken a couple people by surprise.
If you run out of gas in a Prius, whether you can continue driving or you're stopped dead in your tracks depends on what kind of charge the hybrid battery has at that point. Worst case: you're not going anywhere. Best case: you can run off the battery for a very limited time. Going very slow (aka, limping) can extend the distance you can travel, but even at that, you're not going to make it too far ... maybe a mile, possibly two if you're really, really lucky.

On the other hand, if you run out of gas - in a Prius or anything else - you have other, perhaps more serious problems.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:44 AM

307 posts, read 721,818 times
Don, It would seem that most people's mileage differs from yours:
14 Most Dependable Cars on the Road - MSN Autos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
I am not mistaken. I reported what I frequently see. Your mileage may differ. I am happy for you that it does.

And my experience has been with Gen 1 and 2, for the most part. We won't be doing repairs on the Gen 3 for a while yet.

Don in Austin

Old 07-26-2012, 10:46 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,579,715 times
U want something reliable, economical, and has a hatch? You should consider a Mazda3 5-door. U get all you want plus fun factor that the prius doesnt provide. With the new skyactive engine you get 40mpg.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:00 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,498,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
U want something reliable, economical, and has a hatch? You should consider a Mazda3 5-door. U get all you want plus fun factor that the prius doesnt provide. With the new skyactive engine you get 40mpg.
MAYBE if your front door is a highway on ramp and your destination has a highway off ramp to the front door.. renember thats HIGHWAY EPA numbers whats the combined mpg??.. like 34-35 maybe?? Pretty far off a hybrids 40-50+ mpg. And where did the 3s get such a "fun driving car" reputation??.. I drive them all the time at work and they are no more fun or better on track than the neons we used years ago.. the best part of it is the smooth shifter, but the horrible clutch action pretty much negates that as well.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:46 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,579,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
MAYBE if your front door is a highway on ramp and your destination has a highway off ramp to the front door.. renember thats HIGHWAY EPA numbers whats the combined mpg??.. like 34-35 maybe?? Pretty far off a hybrids 40-50+ mpg. And where did the 3s get such a "fun driving car" reputation??.. I drive them all the time at work and they are no more fun or better on track than the neons we used years ago.. the best part of it is the smooth shifter, but the horrible clutch action pretty much negates that as well.
I previously owned an 06 Mazda 3s and the little car was a blast to drive. Nice power to weight ratio and the thing handled as if it were on rails. Dont know much about the latest 3's, but if they're anything like mine theres MUCH more fun factor than that of the Prius. I've driven a Prius. Its the equivalent to ambien.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:49 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
in the words of the great iacocca, americans want economy and will pay anything to get it.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:01 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,498,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
I previously owned an 06 Mazda 3s and the little car was a blast to drive. Nice power to weight ratio and the thing handled as if it were on rails. Dont know much about the latest 3's, but if they're anything like mine theres MUCH more fun factor than that of the Prius. I've driven a Prius. Its the equivalent to ambien.
Lol.. handled like on rails.. an econobox is an econobox. Convincing ones self of anything else is just ego. But, even an econobox can be fun. Physics doesnt know if its a mazda strut suspension and floorpan being tossed around or a toyota strut suspension and floorplan. Just like anything else with wheels it comes down to tires, whether its an econobox or a performance car with similar underpinnings. If more people realized that and dropped the ego and nameplate hate they'd enjoy their daily driving more as well. You can't beat a hybrid for economy and mpg, and right now toyota builds the best of those. Put some decent tires on one and do a decent alignment and it'll "feel" as good as any other "sporty feeling" econobox.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion