Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 09:40 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,059,923 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are going nuts driving our only running vehicle due to a number of issues. I can only deal with one issue at a time and this problem is a doozie. I can't get my idle down to where it should be. The throttle cable is not sticky, the idle screw adjuster is bottomed out, it wont idle down even when the dash pot is removed. All the linkage components are free and working fine. I am out of ideas and need some help. There is no way for me to pay for a mechanic for this so I'm on my own. Someone said it may be the throttle gate in the throttle body housing is crudded up and not closing all the way. The truck is an 85 Toyota 4x4 pick up with a 22RE engine. Am I on the right track looking towards the throttle body as the cause or am I barking up a tree. We really need some help with this as my wife and I are both partially disabled and we really can't go through another Montana winter with no vehicle again. We have no money to pay a shop $70.00 per hour to poke about the engine systems for hours only to shrug and say "We can't find the problem, sorry , that'll be $700.00 please,,, Thanks and have a nice day" ! Thanks in advance for any tips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2007, 09:57 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Have you checked your vacuum lines?

Old 11-21-2007, 09:59 AM

No I haven't I do that today. Thank you so much.

Old 11-21-2007, 12:56 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
If you remove that idle screw, check for carbon deposits on the tip of it and clean that off. Does your truck have an IACV? If so, take that off and clean it with solvent.

Old 11-21-2007, 03:16 PM

31 posts, read 218,025 times
Yepppp , the throttle body would do it. Remove the big hose and junk connected to it so you can look in and see the round wafer in there.......spray around that wafer with carb cleaner......wipe out the junk with paper towels. Then , if you can , hold thay wafer open and get behind that wafer with the spray......spray where it pivots too.
Only thing left is the throttle cable which WILL HANG UP if not clean.......spray some silicone spray where it goes into the black housing ......and work the gas feed back and forth.

Mind you , all this work is done with motor off !!!!!!!
BOB

Old 11-21-2007, 03:42 PM

4,739 posts, read 8,373,269 times
When the throttle position sensors went bad on these motors did they surge up and down or could they raise the idle speed and stay there? I'm no expert but remember the mid eighty stuff haveing this as a common problem too.

Old 11-21-2007, 05:03 PM

Well the idle does rev and drop repeatedly once in a while. I haven't had a chance to look under the hood today because i had a bunch of snow shoveling to do first and now I'm too beat to work on the rig. I really want to thank all you guys for helping out with things to try. I have a feeling that you all just saved my butt ! Tomorow I'm going to fix it or bust ! I don't know where ya all live at but if you're ever in western Montana in the summertime drop me an email or P.M. and you can use one of my sit-on-top kayaks for a nice river float. Here's a few pics for ya all. (Picasa link, click on slideshow for a better view. It takes a bit for the big pics to load one at a time then it goes to 3 second indexing.)

Picasa Web Albums - Rick - Close to Clar... (broken link)

Old 11-21-2007, 07:04 PM

139 posts, read 1,024,749 times
Picasa Web Albums - Rick - Close to Clar... (broken link)

hi,this is what i got,when i clicked on the link. looked around quickly but could not find the close ups of the car.could you please post again?

Old 11-22-2007, 05:09 AM

31 posts, read 218,025 times
YES , the only thing to cause this up and down of idle is two things..... the stranded throttle cable where it goes into the black guide needs oiled , or it's dirty there ( this is right off of the throttle body. And the throttle body needs cleaned.....doen't take much varnish to build up there to make it goofey. But my guess is the throttle cable itself.
Another good thing to do.....put some fuel injector cleaner in your gas tank.....clean the system out as it probably needs it too. I use BLASTER.....red in color.....half bottle per fill up.
Wish I was there to fix it for ya.....I love my Toyotas.

BOB in PA

Old 11-22-2007, 09:40 AM

I thought that there was a pic of the truck in that album. I guess that this link has the only pic of the truck that I have right now and it doesn't show any engine details. In fact all it shows is the beat up old rig that it is sitting above the frozen Lower Flathead river. It's 22 deg F outside right now so I'll wait to see if it gets above freezing today to work on it. No room in the garage right now and wrenching in 22 degree weather out-doors just doesn't seem to appealing at the moment ! This rig has had a rebuilt crate engine replacement as well as a used tyranny swap-out and the rig itself has almost 350,000 miles of hard abuse ! Taking this rig to the wrecking yard would be like taking Dad to Dr. Kevorkian ! It has a T13 bull bar bumper, 1 1/2" wheel spacers behind those obscure 15 spoke aluminum wheels, no body lift but a 3 to 4 inch spring lift that is still fine. My plans are to replace the bed with a wooden flat bed (with removable stake sides), a headache rack/roll bar combo. A radio and a paint job might be a nice improvement also ! I'm here in western Montana and notice the snow packed rims ! We took this thing up to an abandoned fire lookout on an unplowed steep mountain road in almost a foot of snow, and that is with-out lockers ! I once yanked off one of the shock mounts from the frame by winching my self out of a snowdrift with it loaded with firewood ! I love this truck and can't let it go ! It's fun felling a dead standing 2 foot diameter 100 foot tall tamarack and then dragging it off the mountain side to the road below for bucking and loading ! Yee figging haw !!!

Here is the link to the picture of my most dependable family member !

Picasa Web Albums - Rick - Toy (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion