Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 07:30 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,111,621 times

Advertisements

It cost my buddy $250 to get a new key cut for his Audi. That thing was a nice car but just a key being that expensive swore me off Audi. At that time we had to drive 1.25 hours to get to the Audi dealership to get it done as they were the only ones.

For $100, I would just have the dealer do it. I assume they would do it right the first time being they are the dealer and probably see a lot of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2014, 04:19 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,721,805 times
thanks for all the advice. I will go to dealer.
sounds like they really have a "lock" on this.

Old 12-11-2014, 07:06 AM

39,947 posts, read 26,672,163 times
Yeah, it's not the cutting of the key that the locksmith will do for $5, it's the "chip". Most modern cars (and now motorcycles and ATVs) have a security system in them that electronically interfaces with the key before the car will start. I think it's an issue of programming the car's security system to recognize the unique code of the chip in the new key that they get you with. I priced a spare key for my Xterra, it was upwards of $200. Just hoping I never loose the original. Sometimes I wonder about the wisdom of modern technology.

Old 12-11-2014, 07:50 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,721,805 times
"Sometimes I wonder about the wisdom of modern technology."

Yes! There are clearly some wonderful things, but...some drawbacks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Yeah, it's not the cutting of the key that the locksmith will do for $5, it's the "chip". Most modern cars (and now motorcycles and ATVs) have a security system in them that electronically interfaces with the key before the car will start. I think it's an issue of programming the car's security system to recognize the unique code of the chip in the new key that they get you with. I priced a spare key for my Xterra, it was upwards of $200. Just hoping I never loose the original. Sometimes I wonder about the wisdom of modern technology.

Old 12-11-2014, 08:50 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,876,767 times
Look in the folder your manual sits in for a small plastic envelope. If it's there there should be a specifications card in it for the dealership to order the correct key. Keep in mind that for many dealerships that charge of $100-$200, is only for the key. Labor to cut and program the key is $25-$60 in addition to that fee.

You can save money by going to ebay and ordering the key with a chip and taking it to the dealership for the cut and programming.

If you're going to do it, make two as the chip in the 3rd key is bad.

Old 12-11-2014, 09:13 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,876,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesster View Post
I've never heard of anyone having a good experience buying the wireless transceiver keys off eBay. You wouldn't save that much anyway because the car's computer has to be programmed with the key's code and that usually takes special equipment only available to dealers and locksmiths.
You have it reversed. The cars computer contains the program.

I've ordered them from ebay for my Toyota and Lexus. As long as you have one working FOB (remote control), it takes about two minutes to program it while sitting in the car. It requires that you have a working FOB and to turn the ignition is certain sequences to enter the programming function. Once there, press a few buttons on the FOB, the door lock on the door and the brake pedal and its done. Or you can take the FOB along with your working FOB and the dealership as a small box which copies the codes from one to the other in about 30 seconds and charges around $60 for doing so. As to key itself, it needs to be cut at the dealership.

As to prices; BIG difference.

For my Toyota, ordered a FOB and a key and it was $45. Dealership (Toyota) wanted $200 plus $55 labor.

For my Lexus, ordered a FOB and a key and it was also around $45. Dealership (Lexus) wanted $300 plus $25 labor.

Went to the Lexus dealership and it all done by them. $90ish for the parts from ebay and $50 for the labor.

Old 12-11-2014, 10:49 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,067,436 times
Pruzhany is correct. The programming is in the car, and the key gets matched to the vehicle.

Majority of newer vehicles have this technology and it is great in some ways but can be a pain to replace. Most people I know (and in my own experience) agree that the dealer is the option to get this to work right consistently. Buying keys/fobs off of Ebay or online is generally riskier than getting it all from the dealer.

For a wide variety of makes and models the going price is $200-300 per key. It makes a memorable impression; when you are purchasing a used vehicle make sure to ask for the extra key(s).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion