Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 10:21 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,285,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
^^^ Right there. Would it be a good deal to lease a new Camry for 3 years/50K miles for $3K total? (Answer: YES!) Would it be a good deal to buy a 3-year-old Camry with 50K miles on it for $3K less than the price of a new one? NOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Go buy a new one for $23-$24K. If you're getting a loan for it, interest will be less THAN on the used one. It'll last longer and likely have fewer problems.

I (very briefly) considered a couple used Toyotas a few months ago but quickly saw that buying new was a much better deal. Unless you can buy this car for WAY, WAY less than advertised, keep looking or just do the simple thing and buy a new one.

It looks like a nice car that should last, but it's already got a huge jump on being worn out. I wouldn't pay $15K for it, let alone $20K!
I just now re-read the above post and realized I'd left out the word "than" in the second paragraph. Sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 10:43 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,528,815 times
My 2 co-workers have this year or 2013, one is 2012, and they put 20-30k a year and no issues.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:00 AM

861 posts, read 1,340,727 times
Our brand new Camry broke down few days after purchase.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:36 PM

21 posts, read 44,657 times
Thanks everyone for your replies!! With the advice on new vs used and research , I'm planning on a new 2015 - Camry or Corolla . I was in a car accident 2 weeks ago and wasn't planning on a new car for another year or two , a new car was very unplanned - so this helped a lot !

Old 03-05-2015, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
My first car was a used Corolla, which I kept 5 years until I decided to move up to something bigger. My second car was a 1992 Camry LE. I drove this car for about 10 years and 133,000 miles, until it was totaled in an accident. (I was broadsided on the driver's door; I came away with nothing worse than bruises.) My next car was a 2002 Camry LE which I kept until last year, achieving 196,000 miles. I would have kept it longer, but my daughter spilled her milk in the back seat, and it turned sour, and I couldn't get the smell completely gone even with professional cleaning. I'm now driving a 2014 Camry Hybrid LE -- and I refuse to allow any milk-based products to be consumed in it.

Does that answer your question?

Yes! I'm going with Toyota

Old 03-05-2015, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
I just now re-read the above post and realized I'd left out the word "than" in the second paragraph. Sorry.
Thanks for the advice!

Old 03-05-2015, 10:28 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,104,614 times
We've had a few Toyota vehicle in our family:

-dad bought a '89 4x4 pickup brand new. It was handed down to me in '97 and I drove it until late '99 until my lack of maintenance killed it. It died with 247,xxx on the odometer. Only thing I ever recall it having done were brakes and oil. Not sure what killed it but I'm sure it was my fault. AC didn't work, neither did the radio.

-I bought a '94 Camry XLE V6 back in '00. I want to say it was around $14k with 65k miles on it. I drove it until '06 when I sold it to a co-worker with around 180k miles on it. Besides brakes and oil, I replaced the radiator, exhaust pipe near the muffler and a heater valve. That thing ran like a champ.

-I bought a new '08 Scion tC with the 5 speed in the spring of '08, it had 19 miles on it. Ended up trading it in for a Hyundai Tucson in '13. I think the tC had about 60k miles on it. Drove it everywhere. Made it from Los Angeles to Chicago leaving Sunday morning at 5am and arriving in Chicago at 9pm on Monday night. Still the best factory audio I've had in a car, I think it was a Pioneer system. Only thing I did were brakes and oil.

-bought mom an '08 Camry base model in '12. She doesn't drive it much, just back and forth to work. Not sure how many miles it has on it but the only thing that has been done are oil changes. Oh yeah, the stupid driver side visor broke but it was a common thing. Common enough for a TSB, I think.

We (my wife and I) currently have a Hyundai and Kia. Both were purchased new and we like the 10 year, 100k mile warranty.

That being said, I would not hesitate to buy a Toyota.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:39 PM

48,502 posts, read 97,051,418 times
My wife's 2004 Camry was trouble free other than maintenance until we sold in this year to buy her a new vehicle.I also think that is too high a price and add the addition financing cost of used makes it worse deal especially since warranty is gone.

Old 03-12-2015, 10:39 AM

935 posts, read 3,457,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
It's a good car, but the deal is crap. Camrys hold their value insanely well and the new ones have huge incentives right now. You're really better off buying new. For $23k, you can get a loaded new one thanks to all the cash on the hoods.
THIS!

I am in the process of shopping. Typically I buy slightly used so I do not pay that steep initial depreciation on the new car. But this is an interesting time in the car market. Cash for clunkers has removed a lot of used inventory and driven up the prices. Combine that with Toyota's really good resale values in general and its pretty much a wash between buying used and new. I can get a new 2015 Camry LE today for $20,0000.

Old 03-12-2015, 10:53 AM

935 posts, read 3,457,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
Oh yeah, the stupid driver side visor broke but it was a common thing. Common enough for a TSB, I think.
Is that the stupid clip on the right side? That thing was $125!! My mechanic wedged it back in there with something and its been good for the last 5 years. I love a $.50 fix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion