Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 02:58 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,888,769 times

Advertisements

We considered it as an option when we were shopping for my wife's Equinox in 2013. It is about the same size and category, and was about the only other thing she would consider, style wise in a more car like crossover. The Rav4 and Highlander are too truckish for her and she did not like the Edge or Murano. We had an 07 Explorer and Yukon XL before that so she wanted something more car like. But after looking at it up close, and plus we would have had to spend a good bit more for the same options as our Equinox, she decided against it. It should get better gas mileage too, as that was one of the minuses for me. She really wanted a RX350, but that was way more than I could spend.

There is a place for this kind of vehicle, but I agree, there was no marketing. I think I read Toyota did not want it to be marketed as a SUV since it came out right at the SUV market crash/gas price increase, so I guess they just quit marketing it since they didn't know how or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 03:54 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,836,413 times
All they did was make a worse Highlander. They realized that all they did was sell less Highlanders instead of MORE Venzas. In other words, it didn't bring in enough new owners, just cannibalized sales from another model.

So it had to go.

Maybe they will try a proper Camry wagon next time.

Old 04-08-2015, 03:40 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,836,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00molavi View Post
The Honda Crosstour is next.
Yup.

The Honda Crosstour is no more

Old 04-13-2015, 09:33 AM

13,727 posts, read 12,522,547 times
I worked at a Toyota dealership, and I thought it was the answer to a question that nobody asked, and poorly executed at that. The ride was okay, but that was it. I didn't like the seats, and the upgraded leatherette seats seemed to be worse; they presented cheaply and didn't seem to wear well even after an extended test drive. The four cylinder engine was underpowered in a car that heavy, and somewhat noisy to boot. The back seats were decent, but the rear cargo area really left something to be desired.

The hope for Toyota was to bridge the gap between Highlander and the Camry, and to target active Empty Nested baby boomers who didn't need the third row but still wanted more space (see this commercial Toyota TV Commercial For Venza College Grad Moves Back In - iSpot.tv ), but the Venza seems to have all of the drawbacks of both the Highlander (fuel consumption, being a bit more trucklike, cost) and the Camry (lack of cargo space, interior is a little cramped compared to Highlander.)

I simply don't know, comparing MSRP's, why one would buy a Venza over a Highlander. The fuel economy is within 1MPG, the cost is similar, and you get so much more on the highlander in terms of space and fit and finish.

Old 04-13-2015, 05:28 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,192,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I simply don't know, comparing MSRP's, why one would buy a Venza over a Highlander.
It came down to price difference for me. And being a single older male I didn't need all the room of the Highlander. Admittedly, my former Highlander was a wonderful car, but just felt I didn't need to pay that much more for space I'd never use again. If the Venza hadn't been rated right up there with the Highlander the last two years, I might have been persuaded to buy something else - likely the Subaru Outback.

Dealer's service manager told me the other day that the major factor in discontinuing the Venza was the expense of redesigning it to meet new EPA requirements for "passenger" cars of that class, plus the low sales volume.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:48 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,700,802 times
I bought a 2014 Venza Limited for my wife last year. We absolutely love it. It's a Camry frame with the Venza body. It's peppy (we have the V6), we love the styling, and it's economical and roomy.

The ONLY complaint I have is that ours came with the panoramic roof, and at 15k miles it literally exploded going down the interstate. Toyota told us it was faulty glass and replaced it, but that made us leery. Otherwise, it's been excellent. I tell you it seemed kind of like a spaceship until we drove it and the ergonomics fit us perfectly.

I hate to see it go personally.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:51 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,700,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I worked at a Toyota dealership, and I thought it was the answer to a question that nobody asked, and poorly executed at that. The ride was okay, but that was it. I didn't like the seats, and the upgraded leatherette seats seemed to be worse; they presented cheaply and didn't seem to wear well even after an extended test drive. The four cylinder engine was underpowered in a car that heavy, and somewhat noisy to boot. The back seats were decent, but the rear cargo area really left something to be desired.

The hope for Toyota was to bridge the gap between Highlander and the Camry, and to target active Empty Nested baby boomers who didn't need the third row but still wanted more space (see this commercial Toyota TV Commercial For Venza College Grad Moves Back In - iSpot.tv ), but the Venza seems to have all of the drawbacks of both the Highlander (fuel consumption, being a bit more trucklike, cost) and the Camry (lack of cargo space, interior is a little cramped compared to Highlander.)

I simply don't know, comparing MSRP's, why one would buy a Venza over a Highlander. The fuel economy is within 1MPG, the cost is similar, and you get so much more on the highlander in terms of space and fit and finish.

For us, we wanted a camry with more cargo space. The Venza gives us that. I've got it up to 31 mpg on the interstate on long trips and it averages about 23 mpg in the city. Not bad IMO with a V6 that has plenty of pep behind it. The backseat has more leg room than the Camry and our kids have plenty of room. Admittedly they're somewhat expensive but for us well worth it. I think there is a market for it, but the marketing was poorly executed.

Old 04-19-2015, 01:02 AM

2,369 posts, read 2,921,741 times
i own a venza. 2011 pre le,xle,limited tags,etc. great car but imo, since 2012, overpriced. i got ala carte my car. its a shame toyoyta failed advertising the car and overpriced it a bit,imo.

its pretty much a RX but under a toyota badge and has more room than an lexus RX. fit and finish isnt an RX but what can you expect a carmy station wagon?

i love my venza v6 AWD. its sunroof less with leather,comfort package. 54k on it now. its really good car.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:49 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,583,005 times
I have the 2011 Venza. Getting into and out of our previous car, the Honda Accord was just too difficult for an elderly person. And for that reason I doubt we will go back to the Accord or Camry. We have no complaints, no engine troubles, etc. We just passed 100K miles on it. I even got $3K off the sticker price.

Old 04-29-2015, 07:33 AM

13,727 posts, read 12,522,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
I have the 2011 Venza. Getting into and out of our previous car, the Honda Accord was just too difficult for an elderly person. And for that reason I doubt we will go back to the Accord or Camry. We have no complaints, no engine troubles, etc. We just passed 100K miles on it. I even got $3K off the sticker price.
That was a very common reason that people moved into the Venza; they were getting on and the seating position and angles of ingress and egress were better than sedans, and they didn't have to climb into it like some SUV's.

Unfortunately, Toyota's target customer, the active empty nester, didn't flock to the car like they hoped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion