Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 01:51 PM

4,686 posts, read 6,138,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I agree that domestics have improved other than Dodge. But then again it says right on the car to avoid it (dodge ). But until I see as many really old American cars on the road compared to Japanese cars the quality isn't even. I see Toyotas and Hondas from the late 1990s everywhere but rarely see a domestic car from that time. New Ford Focuses have catastrophic transmission problems on brand new cars, that has never happened to Toyota or Honda.
Yeah I dont think ford was prepared for Dual Clutch Transmissions, or how that could even make it to production. Im scared of Chrysler as well, but I know way to many people with Toyotas that give them problems and Accord that become money pits. Most of these are pre-2010 models though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2016, 02:43 PM

2,605 posts, read 2,711,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Buy Avalon. It's a soooo much better car than Camry. Also, I'd absolutely encourage to buy a hybrid.
I have tried 2 Camry so far and its 90% there but something is always missing. I am finding it easier to like Corolla over Camry mostly due to low expectation for Corolla. I am loving the RAV4 but I might look into Avalon.

Old 02-09-2016, 02:46 PM

2,605 posts, read 2,711,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Your living in the 80's still. Most American cars are rotting after 15 years now. But after the year 2000, with proper upkeep most american cars can make it to 200K, even though is seems like many GM cars start to self destruct at 150K, but gone are the days of a Honda or Toyota being 20 years old and reliable, they have too much added electrical gadgets that fail just like on domestics.
just FYI, my first car was a hand me down 1992 Chevy Corsica that I drove to 250K and then sold it for $300 in 2006. My coworker use to tell me GM should pay me to advertise my car for ranking up so much miles. We got the car from junk yard at 150K miles.

Old 02-10-2016, 09:39 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,138,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
just FYI, my first car was a hand me down 1992 Chevy Corsica that I drove to 250K and then sold it for $300 in 2006. My coworker use to tell me GM should pay me to advertise my car for ranking up so much miles. We got the car from junk yard at 150K miles.
I had a 88 Corsica that self destructed at 161K, but im assuming you had the 3.1V6 that was better than the 2.8V6.

Old 02-10-2016, 01:09 PM

352 posts, read 387,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Buy Avalon. It's a soooo much better car than Camry. Also, I'd absolutely encourage to buy a hybrid.
I would say the opposite; if concerned about low depreciation and good resale value, stay away form hybrid versions.

Old 02-13-2016, 02:13 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,147,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
I am looking at new car & decided on Toyota. to be financially wise I figure buying slightly used car will give me best bang for my buck. But at the same time I hear that Toyota holds its value. in that case is there a point in buying slightly used Toyota? How many years older do I have to go to get a good deal.
So back to the original question. I suspect, to get a "good" deal, one might want to wait to a certain part of the depreciation curve, depending on how long you intend to hold the vehicle.

I bought my last Toyota brand new, end of 2006, financed in-part. 104K miles later, and counting (DD), it's been a great vehicle (Tacoma) for my particular needs. So I'm rah-rah Toyota, I must say, going 3-for-3 so far 1986-Current (Supra, Tacoma, another Tacoma).

But now let's back up to the question: where, when, or if you should buy that used Toyota? I have one possible path to the answer, though not the answer itself.

I'm a bit curious why car depreciation algorithms are not posted somewhere, model by model, year by year, etc. Or, maybe they are, and I haven't looked hard enough. That calculation is the first, last, and only realistic answer to the question. I think KBB will get you there, if you input your data, but how they actually derive the answer is the more-interesting question vs. just providing an answer. I'd think it's more important to know when to buy, or sell, per OP's question.

Oh, but hang on a second. From CarsDirect.com:

"These calculators use algorithms to estimate your car's depreciation. In actuality, one cannot calculate a set depreciation rate for any car, as there are a number of external factors that may come into place in the calculation, such as the general economy, the auto market and more."

OK, makes sense sorta-kinda. How often, however, is that algorithm updated, and who updates it based on...? Somebody must be, or there wouldn't be a "market value" answer at KBB and similar, right?

Or is KBB's answer based on actual sales data, that being not what something is "worth" but rather what people are actually paying, day by day, region by region, etc.?

So hypothetically, per the algorithm:

Toyota Tacoma, bought today for $30,000.00, e.g., is worth (x) in 60 months with 60,000 miles.
Toyota Camry, same as previous, is worth (y) driven under same conditions.

Y < X.

Assume vehicle condition is identical. Hard to control for, in the real world, but for the sake of argument.

Paraphrasing another response, assuming s/he is correct: "Toyota trucks have higher resale than the sedans." I'm guessing that is true, yes. I can't tell you why, but it seems to be the case anecdotally. But there's that X vs. Y thing again.

In the end, it must be about demand over time, and how that changes, nothing more or less. Find that curve somewhere.

Old 02-13-2016, 07:14 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,836,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I see Toyotas and Hondas from the late 1990s everywhere but rarely see a domestic car from that time. New Ford Focuses have catastrophic transmission problems on brand new cars, that has never happened to Toyota or Honda.
Thought last week Honda did issue a recall and stop sell order for certain of their new 2016 Civics because of a problem that might lead to engine failures:

Honda issues stop sale on 2016 Civic with 2.0-liter engine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion