Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 02:18 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,878,536 times

Advertisements

My dad has a Toyota Avalon and a Porsche 911 Turbo. Toyota Avalon is actually a great everyday car that is reliable and comfortable. People say it's an old man car but so is the Mercedes S class. Toyota Avalon is actually more reliable than most German luxury cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2016, 09:26 PM

1,088 posts, read 1,464,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
So then, an Avalon is yesterday's Oldsmobile or Buick - for people who can afford a Cadillac but find it a bit too ostentatious, perhaps?

That's a good question - does that segment of consumers exist today? Or that bling-bling is more acceptable today?
I think that segment still exists, although it may be more of a niche market than in the past. I actually fit into this group of consumers. I'd rather have a Toyota Avalon over a Lexus ES 350 and I'd pick a Honda Accord Touring over an Acura TLX without a second thought! IMO, the Avalon and Accord are better cars (and better values) than their premium-branded siblings (or cousins, perhaps).

I may not be the norm for a single 41-year-old guy, but I wouldn't drive the entry-level model for any premium/luxury automaker. When I see a BMW 320i or Lexus IS 250, I can't help but think that the driver bought (or leased) the cheapest model (often with no options) just to get the luxury nameplate. I can't fathom buying/leasing a car (like the 320i) with a sticker price in the mid $30s, but it doesn't even have power seats, leather or heated front seats. Once you add those 'extras', the price is closer to $40k. But it has the BMW emblem.....

We called them "posers" back in high school.

Old 09-18-2016, 04:30 PM

597 posts, read 667,265 times
Maybe it's stuck between levels. If you don't trick it out, why not just get a Camry? If you, do why not go up a bit and get real luxury/

Old 09-18-2016, 05:37 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,826,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goillini8 View Post
Maybe it's stuck between levels. If you don't trick it out, why not just get a Camry? If you, do why not go up a bit and get real luxury/
It rides better than the Camry and is quieter.

Old 09-19-2016, 11:01 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,359,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Trouble with a Benz is that they are riding on past glory of reliability and current 'status', often by the noveau riche.

I wouldn't have a Benz except to flip on resale if it was given to me. There is no way I would want to afford the maintenance. And I have owned numerous Benz in the past, but those days are gone and over.
Oh tell me about it. The best MB's were the W123, W124 and W126. I'm not at all impressed with the current offerings.

Old 09-19-2016, 11:03 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,359,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
My dad has a Toyota Avalon and a Porsche 911 Turbo. Toyota Avalon is actually a great everyday car that is reliable and comfortable. People say it's an old man car but so is the Mercedes S class. Toyota Avalon is actually more reliable than most German luxury cars.
Agreed. I used to have an Audi A6 and it was really costly to service and maintain.

Old 09-20-2016, 11:39 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,532,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Concierge service levels that come with a Lexus are worth a lot to many. Avalon/Toyota dealers can not match that.

We just got rid of a Lexus for a Toyota. With a Lexus you get a loaner and leave the dealer within 5 minutes. With Toyota you check in and get seated in a packed waiting room. Last time I was at the Toyota dealer for service a woman let her tiny little dog run around the waiting room. It barked constantly.

Old 09-20-2016, 12:00 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,925,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
We just got rid of a Lexus for a Toyota. With a Lexus you get a loaner and leave the dealer within 5 minutes. With Toyota you check in and get seated in a packed waiting room. Last time I was at the Toyota dealer for service a woman let her tiny little dog run around the waiting room. It barked constantly.

Couldn't find a trash can to sent a message, huh?

Old 09-20-2016, 01:01 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,714,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
The Avalon is a boring looking car.
Agreed! I drove my mother-in-laws Camry for almost a year at one point (unique circumstances), and quite honestly loved the car and it performed flawlessly. While it was a 4 door, and I'm a 2 door guy and have never personally owned a 4 door, it was a pretty decent looking car in my opinion. I was never ashamed to get into it in a parking lot....lol.

Looking at the Avalon, it just screams "fuddy-duddy" car to me. I don't think I've ever seen anyone under 60 years old driving one, whereas the Camry's you see anyone and everyone driving those. I take that back, now that I think about it, one of our neighbors has an Avalon and he's in his early 50's....but trust me, he fits the persona of "fuddy-duddy" perfectly :-)

Old 12-24-2016, 04:27 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,629,144 times
The Avalon Hybrid is the exact same car as the Lexus 300h. The 300h doesn't come with standard leather interior and the Avalon does. Why spend more and get less? I remember those hot vinyl seats of yesteryear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion