Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2017, 11:06 PM

176 posts, read 235,194 times

Advertisements

planning to go look at a 2004 I4(2.4L) highlander with 110k miles on it.
I just read online that the I4 models have a common problem of coolant leak from the head gasket(stripped bolt), is this true? Is there an easy way to inspect this? any other common issues I should look out for?

Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2017, 01:51 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,189,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_water View Post
planning to go look at a 2004 I4(2.4L) highlander with 110k miles on it.
I just read online that the I4 models have a common problem of coolant leak from the head gasket(stripped bolt), is this true? Is there an easy way to inspect this? any other common issues I should look out for?

Thanks.
It does happen some times and is a known issue with that engine, the 2az-fe. The bolts won't hold in the threads, strip and the head lifts. It is a pretty easy fix, but very labor intensive.

I am sure there are some youtube vids on it.

Most of the time you will notice a coolant leak on the intake side of the engine between the head and block. There is a foam piece between the intake manifold and block, it will be wet with coolant.

The engine is a good engine though IF you don't have this problem. I put 285k miles on one without any head issues.

I personally wouldn't have a problem buying one, but I could do the head gasket and bolt hole insert fix myself if I had to.

If you aren't willing to do the fix yourself (if it happens), I wouldn't buy it, unless you are getting the car for a very cheap price, since it is very expensive to have a mechanic do it at shop rates.

Last edited by High Altitude; 03-19-2017 at 02:06 PM..

Old 03-19-2017, 02:46 PM

797 posts, read 753,689 times
I would look at lower mileage vehicles.
And if that were a problem,it would happen within the few first thousand miles(if it is a bolt problem)

Reading reviews the vehicle seems good.
Good job on your research. If you do intend to buy anything used,
remember fluids lose their effectiveness regardless of miles.
Brake fluid is a perfect example as well as coolant.
Make sure all services have been done.

Old 03-20-2017, 06:13 AM

421 posts, read 545,211 times
I'd have a tough time getting a 2AZ-FE, for just this reason. That and some of them tended to be oil burners.

I have not kept up lately, at one time (when I was car shopping) I knew what years were bad for this 2.4L. I don't anymore. You could do a search and see what years are bad years; that may help drive the decision. It's possible that the Highlanders were not impacted by these problems too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion