Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 09:24 PM
'M'

1,956 posts, read 3,200,670 times

Advertisements

In process of buying a new, used car. Took 2007 Toyota Avalon into mechanic today for pre-purchase inspection. Reading threads on City Data and elsewhere of some known problems with steering and even a head gasket problem. The steering wheel on this car seems to have an odd looseness, and it is a bit noisy, meaning making creaking sounds. It also has a strange transmission. When I entered the highway, the transmission did this huge 'hesitation' before it would go into a higher gear to enter the traffic stream. What was that all about? Sure love the V6 engine, but that transmission is questionable.

How would any of you - with the experience of either 2007 Avalon ownership, or as a Toyota mechanic - advise any purchaser of this car? Financing the car, so don't want to look forward to any huge repair bills. In my experience, mechanics often catch obvious repair issues, but some issues are more hidden and it takes at least an hour of research to see where any potential problems lie. Having purchased quite a few used cars, I know it is possible to find really good cars that don't have any problems after the purchase.

Any feedback on the 2007 Avalon as a potential reliable purchase? What reliability rating would you give this car if you have either owned one, or worked on one? Would you advise anyone to buy this year and model?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2017, 09:56 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,562,983 times
Advise you to go to toyotanation. Largest Toyota owners community with plethora of knwledge on any Toyota car. Good place to ask.

Old 03-21-2017, 09:58 PM
'M'

ukrkoz, at first I thought you were talking about a dealership, but now I see that ToyotaNation is the Toyota Forum. Thanks for the reminder...I've used them for research before and I will check them out. My signon is probably still good.

Old 03-22-2017, 07:01 AM

421 posts, read 543,885 times
2.4L? They did have oil burning and headbolt issues. V6 though shouldn't be a problem, IIRC that was after they introduced the 3.5L and it has fewer issues (water pump and VVT oil line, and not necessarily for that year).

Old 03-22-2017, 09:37 AM

3,177 posts, read 6,819,414 times
What did the mechanic say who did the pre-purchase inspection? His opinion is probably going to be better than people on a forum who have zero details about the car other than make, model, and year.

I own a newer Avalon, and part of the reason I own one is that I had a 2007 as a rental for a month when my wife got into an accident. I really liked it and when I was shopping for a really great deal on a late-model used car, I found what ended up becoming my Avalon.

Old 03-22-2017, 09:57 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,675,136 times
Zero details on the car, not even how many miles it has on it... Answering this is like playing roulette.

Old 03-23-2017, 06:05 AM
'M'

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
Zero details on the car, not even how many miles it has on it... Answering this is like playing roulette.
My apologies....It had around 100,000 miles, which isn't a problem for me when buying a Toyota. It was the V6. The 2009 had the worst reliability record in Consumer Reports. All the other years were stellar. After having mechanic check it out, it had at least $1700 repairs PLUS several a/c codes, but they weren't able to find out exactly what the codes were for, except for one thing, and now I forget because they didn't give me a summary of the A/C problem. The A/C wasn't included in the $1700 estimate. From research I've done in the past, a/c issues can quickly become big bucks. Didn't buy the car. It sure was a beauty, though.

Now my rep is bringing a 2011 Camry with 69K mileage for me to drive today. Has the 2.5L engine/automatic. Fingers crossed. If you would like to comment on this Camry, 43north87west....anything you can share would be appreciated.

ukrkoz - I went to Toyota Nation. That site is having tons of problems. Finally, I gave up. Taking much too much time. Thanks anyway. I'll go back when I have more time, although I tried on 3 or 4 different times to successfully log in.

Last edited by 'M'; 03-23-2017 at 06:17 AM..

Old 03-23-2017, 10:49 AM

421 posts, read 543,885 times
The 6AT has an issue with getting ATF level correct. If it's shifting ok, no problems. Problem comes in with any fluid changes. The proceedure to refill is complex. Well, maybe not brain surgery but with no dipstick and a trans that is picky about level means it's not shadetree-simple.

I have a 2011 but with 6MT. It's had 3 issues:
-parking brake handle got loose. Tightened under warranty (odd and very minor). Brake was fine, it just the lever inside the cabin. [Speaking of which, parking brake isn't that great. But on an automatic you likely won't care.]
-There is a noise resonator on the intake hose that popped off. Resulted in poor idle (but no codes ???). Luckily it didn't go far. I pushed it back in and tightened down the clamp. Zero cost.
-I let the dealer do service for the first 55k. They never bothered to take apart the brakes and lube sliding surfaces. As a result I had to do a pad slap at 60k. Then I had to do another pad slap (and rotors) at 100k or so, as I chose poor quality pads. Not really a fault of the Camry, not really a fault of the dealer, but a fault of all the salt they dump on the roads here I guess.

Otherwise, 135k and nearly 6 years. The 2AR-FE can have water pump leaks but I haven't had that (yet). The 6MT has a lousy clutch, and 2nd gear syncro is awful, but you won't see that in an 6AT. Installing factory bluetooth means I'd have to remove the aftermarket fog switch; and supposedly the factory BT setup only uses front speakers... I'd replace the radio but it's all integrated into the centerstack.

Not sure I can comment further.

Oh, the original tires sucked. 30k and done. Car is kinda hard on tires I think. Even wear, but 40k is about all I can expect.

Old 03-23-2017, 01:20 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,819,414 times
Good luck with the Camry, hope it doesn't have the pile of issues that older Avalon had. But, your experience illustrates the value of a pre-purchase inspection on a used car that's not certified, etc.

+1 on the factory tires being less than stellar. It's been my experience with all the Toyotas in the family over the years. The reviews on Tire Rack have me convinced I'll be doing tires on my Avalon well before I believe I should.

Old 03-23-2017, 01:22 PM

1,218 posts, read 3,467,077 times
my parents have a 2007 with around 100k miles and the only problem I know of that they had is a power steering leak - they bought new
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion