Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 12:36 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times

Advertisements

I found a 2006 Tacoma PreRunner extended cab, 4 cyl w/ manual transmission with 194k miles. The truck looks good other than a few minor dents, interior still looks good as well. Has brush guard, offroad tires, step bars and tool box. Runs good other than it feels like the clutch needs adjusting.

The guy wants $8k and won't budge. That's in line with what NADA says, however KBB has it at $6500. Does that seem like a bad deal? How well do those 2.7 engines hold up past 200k? I gave it a few good revs and didn't see any blue smoke from the exhaust.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2017, 03:59 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,411,984 times
First thing to understand is that NADA and KBB are only useful (and were designed for) the Insurance (totaled pay-out) and banking (lending) industries. They tend to be lower than actual street values because those 2 industries are into risk aversion...

Beyond that, something is worth what someone will pay. Checking Atlanta craigslist, $8k is lower than the Vast majority, all the cheaper options are older AND have more miles. Quick guess, $8k is a low price.

I just gave up on selling my own 1997 Toyota T100, and was firm at $7k even though In saw Several others in similar condition selling for up to $14,000 (that was a garage queen with 64k miles, but yes a 20 year old truck still managed to sell for $14k). 99% of the people who looked at the truck had one in the past and were looking to get Back into one, so I was watching to see what it'd cost ME to get back into something similar and I couldn't at $7k. So, ultimately, I've decided to simply not sell.... the final straw was a worthless POS ebay buyer who wasted 13 hours and 600 miles of both my, and my wifes, time in going to meet them.

You've obviously looked at that specific truck because it was of interest. You've seen other ads for other similar trucks and decided this one was worth checking out, is it just the mileage? I know one guy with over 500k on his 4cyl Tacoma (2wd, not the pre-runner, manual) and hasn't had any major work done to it. My brother-in-law has an '04 with just over 200k miles and Loves it, again with no mechanical issues beyond consumables. Some of them suffer from frame rot, be vigilant there. There may be other specific issues (the 3.4L V6 in my truck was known for weepy valve cover gaskets), and every Toyota ever made have floppy/loose/won't retract seatbelts.

If you're serious about that truck, pay the ~$100 to have a good toyota mechanic give it a PPI. Any honest seller won't mind, and you'll have the piece of mind of knowing... plus, you can direct your specific quality/longevity questions at that mechanic.

Old 04-26-2017, 05:27 PM

Truck was bought new in Louisiana and has always been down here on the gulf coast, so frame rot isn't an issue. For some reason when the clutch is fully pressed to the floor, you only have to let up on it about an inch before it grabs, I'm not sure if someone adjusted it that way or what. I'm of average height, and I had to put the seat all the way forward to be able to mash it far enough to change gears.

Old 04-26-2017, 05:47 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
If the clutch is hydraulic, you may be looking at a failing slave cylinder. This is not expensive or hard to replace. Some have an adjustable push rod between slave cylinder and clutch actuating lever. If you hold the clutch down for a couple of minutes and then it catches even lower, probably a hydraulic problem.

If the clutch is operated by a mechanical linkage or cable, yeah, you just need to adjust it.

Of course all Toyota engines are not alike, but I had the head off a 3S-FE in my 87 Camry a few years back, the car showed 150K miles. The cylinder bores were like new, showed cross-hatch pattern, no hint of a ridge. So I wouldn't be put off by nearly 200K miles on a truck that showed signs of decent maintenance.

Old 04-27-2017, 01:17 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,562,983 times
I just spent 2 mths shopping for used truck.
Truck prices are outrageous and have no connection with any book value. Market clearly dictates price and whatever has Toyota logo on it is premium. Seller likely looked at local craigslist and you have the price.
I ended buying a piece of crap that I can't rid of now and then got auctioned one next. Buddy is restoring it as I type.
So forget any books. Remember - value of any item is equal to what buyer is willing to pay for it and no books have much to say here.

Old 04-28-2017, 05:59 AM

421 posts, read 543,885 times
I went through this a few years ago. Prices are indeed awful; but it's worse here in New England, where rust causes more issues as vehicles get older. I gave up and just paid more to get something nice that would last for a while.

Old 04-28-2017, 06:06 AM

I'm looking at a 2007 TRD sport now with V6 and automatic, one owner, only 99k miles. Looks identical to the first one, but in much better shape. Dealer is asking $15,500.. KBB has $14,600 as a "fair price", that's almost double the other one but considering I'll only put about 6k miles per year on it, it should last awhile.

Old 04-28-2017, 06:53 AM

They do last.... I bought my 1997 in Nov 2002 with, I think, 109k miles and for $10k (V6, auto, 4x4, SR5 trim, just about as fully loaded as they came). 15 years later and I've had one no-start... which was expected as I tried to eek every last joule out of the battery that came with the truck ~ lol, that was replaced in 2011 and was some generic thing that was in the truck when I bought it.

Beyond that I had the annoyance of leaking valve cover gaskets (plagued all of the 3.4l 5VZ-FE engines) and the OEM muffler just rusted out and I replaced that this past weekend... and consumables. Then again, my truck was the last of the "Made in Japan" models and (I'm sure it's just personal pride) it sure seems to me to be a step or three above the US assembled trucks, though my experience in newer than ~2010 Toyotas is limited to one Highlander.

I think it's funny that my truck is 20 and by the time I've owned it for 20 years I'll be allowed to put "classic car" plates on it. For laughs, I have one of the listing photos from when I bought it:

And one of the photos from when I had it for sale a few months back:

My only reason for wanting to sell? It's a 3rd vehicle in a 2-drive house, was only getting about 3k miles per year Before the 3rd vehicle was added and I feel bad that it's going to sit even more. I was gutted about selling on the drive to deliver it...

Take your time, be picky, you might end up holding onto the truck for awhile....

Old 04-29-2017, 07:27 PM

That's a clean T-100. They seem pretty rare.

Just an update, I bought this 2007 PreRunner TRD today. Gave them $15,500 and had to haggle for that . Still, it was the lowest milaege non-base model I've seen lately under $20k, it's crazy how much these things go for.

Cars for Sale: Used 2007 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner for sale in Pensacola, FL 32505: Truck Details - 450406547 - Autotrader

Old 04-30-2017, 06:46 AM

Thanks, I try hard to keep my stuff in top condition ~ house, cars, tools, clothes, body/self....

Glad you found something you were willing to buy. Man, I feel you on that price.... it's one of the biggest reasons we're still driving the same 2 vehicles that we bought in 2002 and 2004.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion