Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2017, 07:25 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,584,321 times

Advertisements

...expected to be about as reliable as Corolla, or are we dealing with something totally different even it's a Toyota?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2017, 07:43 PM

17,336 posts, read 12,292,973 times
It's a new product. But the engine has been in use since 2007. Also same platform as the Prius and Camry.

Toyotas definitely have historically had problems with the first few years of a new model. But they've generally done right by the consumer with fixes for issues that come up. I wouldn't be too worried about reliability. No way I would buy a CVT personally though. Too bad they didn't bring the 6 speed manual version over that they offer overseas.

Old 06-20-2017, 05:46 PM

628 posts, read 843,043 times
cvt transmission is bad as i hear bad stories of Nissan CVT failures but the 2.0 liter engine has been used since 2007 and is reliable however a used Rav 4 is better as it comes with AWD and more trim levels compared to the C-HR that does not offer AWD

Old 07-03-2017, 06:07 AM

1,465 posts, read 1,086,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
It's a new product. But the engine has been in use since 2007. Also same platform as the Prius and Camry.

Toyotas definitely have historically had problems with the first few years of a new model. But they've generally done right by the consumer with fixes for issues that come up. I wouldn't be too worried about reliability. No way I would buy a CVT personally though. Too bad they didn't bring the 6 speed manual version over that they offer overseas.
Most car companies are missing the mark by making the decision not to offer cars with manual transmissions here in the US. Not everyone wants an automatic, and to take away the choice from consumers just doesn't make sense to me, especially when the manual is replaced by troublesome CVTs coupled to small engines!

Old 07-05-2017, 06:54 AM

2,254 posts, read 2,745,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlguy44 View Post
Most car companies are missing the mark by making the decision not to offer cars with manual transmissions here in the US. Not everyone wants an automatic, and to take away the choice from consumers just doesn't make sense to me, especially when the manual is replaced by troublesome CVTs coupled to small engines!
Nobody - not even buyers of sports cars - are buying manual transmissions in sufficient numbers for the automakers to ever market them widely in the US. Makes no financial sense. Plus, CVTs are not a problem. You might not like how they drive but, other than Nissan's little blip, they are rock solid reliable.

Old 10-22-2017, 12:13 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,681,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
...expected to be about as reliable as Corolla, or are we dealing with something totally different even it's a Toyota?
I would say yes but I generally avoid first year model runs on any vehicle. Overall the model employs the same tech that Toyota has been using in other vehicles for years so I wouldn't really be leary of this as a new model.

Agreed there should be more drivetrain options!

I think this is one of their more eye catching models and visually is more appealing than the competition but I do think Toyota has really limited their audience with the sole drivetrain option. Unlike some other companies they still make quite a few vehicles where you can choose a tradtional automatic vrs a CVT or even a manual. Kind of a shame not to have that option on this one.

Old 10-22-2017, 06:23 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,173,982 times
The 3ZR-FAE is a well proven tank of an engine. You will never have any problems with the motor. The CVT is a question mark, but it shouldn't be stressed too hard by such an underpowered engine in a light body.

Old 10-23-2017, 01:06 PM

3,445 posts, read 2,826,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post

I thought the Prius was on the same platform as the Corolla and Rav4 and that the Highlander and Camry shared the same platform. I've never actually researched it, but I had long time sales person that I purchased several Toyotas from tell me that.

I hope they eventually offer the C-HR in AWD if it is built on the Camry platform. I loved my Camry over all my other Toyotas (Highlander came in a close second), but I need more space and don't want to pay Highlander prices.

Old 11-11-2017, 06:54 PM

23 posts, read 67,513 times
I like the design - especially that green color! I would buy if it had a manual transmission or AWD option, but I won't even consider it with the current powertrain.

Old 11-15-2017, 08:00 AM

3,631 posts, read 7,681,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by insidyr View Post
I like the design - especially that green color! I would buy if it had a manual transmission or AWD option, but I won't even consider it with the current powertrain.
It would be sweet if they would offer the same turbo engine as the Lexus NX but with a manual trans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion