Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 07:54 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,422,661 times

Advertisements

I just may lose my mind over this decision over what car to buy when I am under immense pressure to choose NOW!!!

I just test drove the PRIUS - thinking that I KNEW this was it. It has good safety ratings & nothing can beat the 48mpg it gets in the city - no one! I found a broker who I could get one from for much cheaper than anywhere else. BUT...

Then I drove it. I can handle the fact that it's sluggish - there's a reason it's like that & I can deal with it because it's good for the environment & good on my pocketbook. The problem is the seat. I have severe physical health issues & need a seat that is adjustable & has a long seat pan that will support my entire thigh length. Like many economy cars (even though this is considered a mid-sized car), the seat pan is short - too short. There is no ability to adjust the seat so the part I sit on can move up or down. It seems to almost tilt forward - not good for me.

I NEED a car that is safe & has excellent fuel economy! I NEED one NOW! I am driving to California at the end of April. I just don't know what to do. Any advice given what I've said? I know there are some programs to provide for disability accommodations - I know I would qualify - I just don't know if what I need is something that is available.

Please help if you have any help to offer... thanks... thinky
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 07:59 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,688,068 times
why not the honda civic, or crv?

Old 04-01-2008, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiekate View Post
why not the honda civic, or crv?
I can't study on about everything available at this point - I don't know what to consider & what not to - which is why I am asking for HELP!!! lol

I can't see myself buying any SUV type vehicle - can't imagine it will ever match the fuel economy of a smaller vehicle & I have sort of a religious aversion to them - no need for larger vehicles like that - we managed without them for many years (tall, small, fat, & thin alike) & Europe does just fine without them.

But, am open to nearly anything else - just need some input & maybe personal experience from others... thanks

Old 04-01-2008, 08:09 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Have you driven the Corolla? We have had zero problems and get an honest 41 mpg on trips...

Old 04-01-2008, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Have you driven the Corolla? We have had zero problems and get an honest 41 mpg on trips...
I was talking to the sales guy about the Corolla Hybrid & he was saying that some of the issues still not worked out on the PRIUS have been fixed on the Corolla - like the seat pan issue. I have driven a 2007 Corolla NOT hybrid when in CA - it got pretty decent mpg - but not good enough. Are you talking about the Hybrid? What year do you have - as much as you can share the better. The sales guy said the hybrids only get about 35mpg max.

THanx...

Old 04-01-2008, 08:15 PM

563 posts, read 2,569,402 times
I second the corolla. Back in 2003 my fiancee got a corolla and it is a great little car. 75K + No complaints, and while I have not been lucky enough to break the 40 mpg barrier as Ultrarunner did, I get solid 38-39 mpg on trips. Around town on Long Island, it just clocked in around 31-32. Sometimes dips to 27-29 but that depends on the amount of stop and go NY traffic.

Old 04-01-2008, 08:29 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
2001 Corolla ordered new from the Toyota and was able to watch it being made at the NUMMI Toyota Factory... long story... but I have no connection with Toyota other than as a customer.

I've recommended Corollas to many people... about 7 have bought. The last one was about 6 months ago... one was transferred to Hawaii and had her car shipped.

No one has had any problems and all are pleased with the mileage. All are Non-Hybrid with the 4 speed auto... it was optional on the 2001.

Most do mainly city driving... and the mileage is less.

I'm hesitant to go Hybrid... I work with 2 employee's that have Hybrid Highlanders... they like the cars, but have been a little disappointed by the mileage they get for the extra money they paid...

Old 04-01-2008, 08:43 PM

Quote:
2001 Corolla ordered new from the Toyota and was able to watch it being made at the NUMMI Toyota Factory... long story... but I have no connection with Toyota other than as a customer.

I've recommended Corollas to many people... about 7 have bought. The last one was about 6 months ago... one was transferred to Hawaii and had her car shipped.

No one has had any problems and all are pleased with the mileage. All are Non-Hybrid with the 4 speed auto... it was optional on the 2001.

I'm hesitant to go Hybrid... I work with 2 employee's that have Hybrid Highlanders... they like the cars, but have been a little disappointed by the mileage they get for the extra money they paid...
From all I've read, many of the hybrids are a disappointment when it comes to actually delivering on the high gas mileage. One thing I seem to have discovered is that a person really must be committed to paying attention to how they drive & adapting their habits to increase the fuel efficiency. The key with the hybrids is to increase the battery usage while decreasing the engine usage. That means keeping your speed moderate, modulating your acceleration properly, staying on more steady even inclines, & driving more city than highway - at least I think... lol.

Even so, none of the hybrids seem to do as well as the PRIUS - and I am talking from reviews by professionals & consumers.

That all being said - I hate going bankrupt trying to save money (does that make sense?). I also hate doing so & then being in massive pain physically while driving this expensive vehicle.

I'm gonna test drive the Corolla - hybrid & not... gonna do that this week - hopefully.

Keep the advice coming... thanks everyone...

Old 04-01-2008, 08:55 PM

563 posts, read 2,569,402 times
Quote:

I dont think the hybrids are worth the extra up front money when you look at the mileage and how long you will need to drive the car to recoup the savings from the mileage. The up front cost far outweighs the savings you get on mileage IMHO.

Old 04-01-2008, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samrai309 View Post
I dont think the hybrids are worth the extra up front money when you look at the mileage and how long you will need to drive the car to recoup the savings from the mileage. The up front cost far outweighs the savings you get on mileage IMHO.
I really am not in the financial place to be making hugely moral / environmental choices in this regard - but the thing that immediately comes to mind when I hear people say just what you are saying is that there is more to going "hybrid" than just saving money. While it is not yet worked out how the battery recycling will impact our environment - there are definite wonderful benefits to our world & our environment by buying a hybrid. This is something that I am committed to at least in theory - even if I do not necessarily have the financial means to back it up right now.

I generally just don't ever want to buy a brand new car - seems so wasteful. But you don't have many options with the Prius because there simply are not enough used ones to be found.

48 miles to the gallon - just stop and think about that for a minute... From what I've heard, it actually gets that good of mileage too - especially for folks like me who actually do mostly city driving! I guess that's why I'd like to really consider the hybrid options because you have a really great ability to better control & manage how fuel efficient you are by the way you drive & use your vehicle.

BUT... at this point - I just need to figure something out... SOMETHING PLEASE!!!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion