Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 12:10 PM

451 posts, read 496,578 times

Advertisements

I unfortunately need to buy a new car as soon as possible for the first time in 20 years. I’ve been focused on a 2020 or possibly a 2019 Toyota Corolla because they’ve always been very reliable. However, I’ve been doing research online before going to the dealer, and I’m frustrated because it seems they only come with those new CVT transmissions, which I’ve read so many complaints about (in general and not only Corollas). I then decided to consider the 2019 Camry, but I only saw these with an 8-speed automatic, which doesn’t seem great either based on owner comments. I don’t really understand the difference between the two yet or if they’re the same thing and just some dealers word it differently, but I get concerned when I read consistent complaints.

Is it really true that I can’t get a new Toyota that has a traditional 4-speed automatic transmission, which has always worked for me and is more proven? I don’t understand why everything has to be so complicated now. I just want reliability, which is why I decided on a Toyota, but now I wonder if their JD Power reliability ratings will suffer like it appears Honda’s has. When I realized Toyotas have these types of transmissions, I looked at a Honda CR-V online, and it appears those have the CVT, too. I really don’t need a car that big, but I didn’t want a Civic because it’s not as dependable as the Corolla based on the ratings I saw. Any advice or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated because my 1999 BMW 323i needs some mechanical work, but I don’t want to put more money into it at this point even though it’s in great shape and has super low miles. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2019, 12:53 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,129,944 times
I have a 2017 Corolla with a CVT. I love it. It's smooth and it gets better MPG than my Corolla with a manual 5 speed. I think you should test drive a Corolla with a CVT. I think you will be pleasantly surprised. I know I was! CVTs are becoming the norm more and more each year.

Old 06-24-2019, 01:00 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Toyota makes reliable transmissions, no matter if it’s a CVT or the 8-speed. Most of the complaints are just annoyances, not actual mechanical problems (as in the case of Nissan).

Old 06-24-2019, 01:12 PM

239 posts, read 155,689 times
I've also come upon this conundrum. From what I researched, CVT transmissions are only good for 100,000 miles. After that, they need to have the band replaced. I'm not sure if this next part is true, but one guy claims that his local Toyota dealer would not service the transmission and referred him to Aamco; however, Aamco also wouldn't service the transmission and quoted him $8,000 to replace the transmission entirely with a used CVT transmission.

What are the reported problems with the 8-speed Camry transmission?

If it suites your tastes, you might want to take a look at the Mazda 3. They sell those in 6-speed automatic or 6-speed manual (zoom zoom!). Another car I looked at is the Chevrolet Cruze. If push comes to shove, you can buy a 2013 Corolla with a 4-speed automatic.

Old 06-24-2019, 01:20 PM

9,972 posts, read 5,669,596 times
8-speed transmissions are nothing new, Toyota brought one to market over a decade ago.

Why does everything have to be so complicated? Thank ever-tightening mandated emissions and fuel economy targets.

Old 06-24-2019, 01:26 PM

531 posts, read 452,335 times
I've driven 4-speed and 6-speed auto Camrys. The 4-speed was quiet and effective, the 6-speed would shift too much at medium speeds and wasn't as smooth. I think Toyota is going into a decline where their engineers (and stylists) have to do something to keep justifying their salary.
My Prius CVT is giving no problems after 520,000+ miles. Of course, the hybrid motor provides all the starting torque.
The factory up the street is making parts for a GM 10-speed automatic. Five planetary gearsets? Surely a CVT would be more reliable.

Old 06-24-2019, 01:32 PM

13,642 posts, read 9,698,765 times
Test drive them. That's the only way to make true assessment. My own opinion is that the chief malady isn't the number of gears or the technological complexity per se, but intentional "softening" of acceleration via the electronic throttle or the transmission programming. Driving in traffic requires short, violent bursts of acceleration, that don't necessarily demand high Hp or 0-60 times worry of bragging. But it does mean crisp throttle response and no lag. This is increasingly hard to achieve, whether in minimalist compact or an eminently potent performance-car. And in some cases, there is an aftermarket solution to tighten-up the throttle response.

So, drive the car... then, if there's a problem, examine if the aftermarket offers a solution.

My own solution is to avoid anything built in the 21st century. But for most drivers, that's a bit extreme.

Old 06-24-2019, 01:43 PM

4,437 posts, read 8,122,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
I have a 2017 Corolla with a CVT. I love it. It's smooth and it gets better MPG than my Corolla with a manual 5 speed. I think you should test drive a Corolla with a CVT. I think you will be pleasantly surprised. I know I was! CVTs are becoming the norm more and more each year.
I got a Honda Fit with a CVT. When I was originally looking for a car, I was going to get a manual but found the CVT actually got better gas mileage! Since this was a commuter car in the DC Metro area, I went with the CVT. I'm getting consistently mid-40s MPG per tank, the best I've got is 47 MPG.

Old 06-24-2019, 01:45 PM

9,972 posts, read 5,669,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Ferris View Post
The factory up the street is making parts for a GM 10-speed automatic. Five planetary gearsets? Surely a CVT would be more reliable.
Not for the high-torque applications that 10-speed is used for.

Old 06-24-2019, 01:54 PM

5,733 posts, read 4,688,017 times
I refuse to buy a cvt. Can't stand the sound they make or the way they drive. They never shift, which is a weird feeling to me.

CVTs are really only found in entry-level cars anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion