Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2019, 12:38 PM

451 posts, read 501,954 times

Advertisements

I really appreciate all the additional kind comments and everyone trying to help me make the right decision. Someone I was talking to Wednesday said that I should be fine with a CVT because they don’t see me shifting up and down like young people. My BMW has P/R/N/D/4/3/2. In the 20 years I’ve owned it, I’ve used P/R/D. That’s it! I don’t even know that I’ve used N or what the others are for.

The bottom line is I’m not the type to do anything fancy, and I don’t know that I’d notice the difference with how a CVT and 8-speed automatic transmission drive. In fact, I rode in my neighbor’s Corolla LE recently that is three or four years old, and I didn’t notice anything. But, I didn’t know there were different transmissions at the time so I wasn’t paying attention, and he didn’t say anything about it. What I’d definitely notice is if I had to prematurely buy a new transmission or do anything special with it. I just want to be a prudent consumer and not end up regretting my purchase.

Last edited by LFJourney; 06-28-2019 at 01:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtrustates View Post
CVT-s suck.
One of the reasons i got Camry SE and not Accord.
Do you have a new Camry with an 8-speed transmission and not have any problems with it?

In addition to the complaints I personally saw about the new Camry, I was concerned when I saw Louie’s post on another thread so obviously he saw more complaints than I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
Any 2018/2019 Camry owners experiencing transmission issues? I've read tons of complaints about Toyota's new 8-speed auto. Main complaint is when accelerating from a stop, there is a delay and rough shifting. Overall I hear that the the tranny is quite fussy and shifts erratically.

Old 06-28-2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
LFJ...
agree with you.
CVT's are automotive front-loaders.
Wow! This was impactful considering how much I hate my front loader. There probably isn’t a time that I do laundry that I don’t regret that purchase so I certainly don’t want to feel that way every time I drive my new car. Anytime I need to buy something and I find there’s a newer technology, I always think about that front loader and tell sales people that I only want to buy something that’s been proven to work for many years.

Old 06-28-2019, 12:49 PM

4,644 posts, read 4,912,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFJourney View Post
I unfortunately need to buy a new car as soon as possible for the first time in 20 years. I’ve been focused on a 2020 or possibly a 2019 Toyota Corolla because they’ve always been very reliable. However, I’ve been doing research online before going to the dealer, and I’m frustrated because it seems they only come with those new CVT transmissions
Nope. You can get a Corolla with a 6 speed manual

Old 06-28-2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Why not keep your BMW? Properly maintained, they are very hard to wear out. Particularly if the BMW has a manual, I would keep it and forget about new Camrys with CVT or 8 speed conventional automatics.
You’re not the first person who has told me to keep my BMW. It only has about 79k miles and the exterior and interior are in excellent condition, but it has a few mechanical things that need to be fixed now. A few people on one of my other posts told me to spend the money to fix it because I could get another 20 years out of it with the low miles. But, the mechanic that looked at it recently discouraged me from fixing it. He said it would cost ME too much considering the age and then something else could happen. He suggested I sell it, but I feel he was way too eager to help sell it to his “connections” vs. me fixing it. Even though I hate to let it go for what seems like peanuts, I still decided to buy a new car instead of putting more money into such an old car. It still drives great so whoever ends up with that car will be lucky IMO – especially if a mechanic or someone who fixes cars as a hobby buys it! BTW-it's an automatic.

Old 06-28-2019, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Just remember with modern 8+ speed automatics, depending on driving conditions, the computer may not select the right gear 100% of the time. Occasionally it will goof and pick the wrong one, and that’s when you may feel an occasional thunk or hear an odd rev. It doesn’t necessarily mean anything is wrong mechanically with the transmission. Manufacturers are always improving the algorithms which is why they may ask you to bring the car in for software updates.
About the time I convince myself that I’d be better off buying the 2019 Camry with the eight-speed automatic vs. the Corolla with a CVT, I read something like this that makes me think that this type of transmission isn’t proven either! When you’re out of the warranty period, do they charge you to do the software updates? I’d be very annoyed if I had to pay for those just because they haven’t perfected it yet.

But, I’m still leaning toward the 2019 Camry because it has an automatic transmission. I don’t like that a CVT relies on a belt and pulley system, and I just read something that said “CVT’s also require special oil, and parts when being serviced so you will need to make sure you have a skilled mechanic that is versed in dealing with this type of transmission.” One of the things I hate about having a BMW is #1 how much it costs to repair them, #2 you can’t just go to any mechanic and #3 it seems like everything is different and more complicated on it compared to a normal car. I just want a simpler life and not be stressed so not having a BMW will help achieve that goal, but it sounds like I’d be in a similar situation if I have a CVT although I’m sure not as bad.

Old 06-28-2019, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
Nope. You can get a Corolla with a 6 speed manual
Sorry. I should have clarified. I need a transmission that does the work for me. I wouldn't know how to drive a manual, nor would I want to. I'd rather relax when I drive.

Old 06-28-2019, 01:38 PM

9,996 posts, read 5,703,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
It's seductive to regard one's own opinions as being well-rooted and objective, while contrary opinions are shrill, baseless and jejune. Along those lines, consider: how many performance-cars have CVTs? Sure, some admirably decent cars might have then, but of those, how many are oriented towards agility, handling, and acceleration? Presumably there's a reason for that... subjective, or objective.
No, it's an objective fact that CVTs are superior for maximizing the balance between acceleration, power delivery, and fuel economy -- even this CVT hater can admit that. That' because a CVT can almost instantly dial up the precise, optimal RPM is needed for whatever is being asked of the engine at any given time and hold it there.

There are two reasons why you don't see them on performance cars (the WRX notwithstanding): 1) performance enthusiasts hate them; and 2) they are not suitable for high-torque applications.

Old 06-29-2019, 08:06 AM

802 posts, read 1,369,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFJourney View Post
Do you have a new Camry with an 8-speed transmission and not have any problems with it?

In addition to the complaints I personally saw about the new Camry, I was concerned when I saw Louie’s post on another thread so obviously he saw more complaints than I did.
Yes i have a 19 camry
No it does not have any tranny problems. I love everything about the car including the 8 speed.

Old 06-29-2019, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtrustates View Post
Yes i have a 19 camry
No it does not have any tranny problems. I love everything about the car including the 8 speed.
Thank you! That's awesome news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion