Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2019, 03:57 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times

Advertisements

in the old days, rebuilding was less expensive than replacing the starter, mostly because low volume rebuilders were everywhere. these days however, those low volume rebuilders are pretty much gone, taken over by the high volume rebuilders.

i used to rebuild them back in the day because it was a lot cheaper to buy the parts kit than it was to buy new or rebuilt. same with generators and alternators.

these days mechanics are so young that they never learned to rebuild these items, so they only know how to replace them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2019, 08:36 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,411,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
in the old days, rebuilding was less expensive than replacing the starter, mostly because low volume rebuilders were everywhere. these days however, those low volume rebuilders are pretty much gone, taken over by the high volume rebuilders.

i used to rebuild them back in the day because it was a lot cheaper to buy the parts kit than it was to buy new or rebuilt. same with generators and alternators.

these days mechanics are so young that they never learned to rebuild these items, so they only know how to replace them.
Yep starters and alternators today are R&R as they were in the 70’s and 80’s and 90’s. Went to the auto parts store to get them and pay a core charge then return the old ones and get your core charge back.

Old 10-13-2019, 12:48 AM

2,990 posts, read 8,709,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GNCamry99 View Post
Auto Starter issue , Replace vs Rebuild?
==============================

Thanks for your replies to my thread. I am not a auto mechanic.

My car showing intermittent starting issues. I learned this issue caused by the starter solenoid contacts are going bad.

Many forums/videos suggest to use STARTER SOLENOID REPAIR Kit Replacement instead of Starter replacement.

I am facing a challenge to find auto repair shop/Mechanics, Craigslist mechanics to do rebuild/repair starter. All they want to push starter replacement , not forth coming to do service/rebuild starter.

They are throwing layman excuse/causing fear such as STARTER SOLENOID REPAIR Kit will not work etc

How do I find a mechanic to do this task ?

Thanks for sharing.

I have Toyotas with high mileage and I always use a Denso starter when replacing them. My local Napa carries them and has good prices on them. You will have to bring the old stater to get a core refund when you are all done with it.

Old 10-13-2019, 01:52 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AA702 View Post
I have Toyotas with high mileage and I always use a Denso starter when replacing them. My local Napa carries them and has good prices on them. You will have to bring the old stater to get a core refund when you are all done with it.
Denso is the Toyota parts supplier that used to be part of Toyota. All you’re saying is you’re replacing with the original part instead of aftermarket.

Old 10-13-2019, 02:44 AM

1,831 posts, read 3,196,756 times
We used to "rebuild" starters but all we really did was take the starter apart and replace the brushes. The brushes came in a little box and did not cost much, maybe a 2 or 3 dollars. I don't even know if brushes can be purchased any more. Also, would clean up the inside of the starter some. Had to hold the brushes retracted to slide in the armature. Later on, you could buy a rebuilt starter, or a new starter and return your core for a refund. Last time I replaced a starter, I don't think they even asked for the core back.

Had an old tractor with a starter issue and I replaced the brushes and it still didn't work. Took it to an auto electric shop and they fixed it. It had some other issue going on, a short they said.

Old 10-13-2019, 08:30 AM

19,013 posts, read 27,562,983 times
Looks like about 45 min job slow pace and $70 for starter.
Not sure about all the fuss with this.
Also, OP, if starter ground is "bad contact" well, just get to ti and clean, lubricate, and retighten. It's not that hard to do.
Find a buddy with tools and skill. Case of beer. Job done. Or barbecue. Or else.
It's simple job. You go try same on my 98 MGM. Proverbial PITA for a SKILLED mechanic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOAm-qtIDpg

Old 10-13-2019, 08:45 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Never buy rebuilds. Most are built to no standards using cheap trash for replacement parts. While in the past I used reman stuff I learned when I was left stranded due to inferior build starter. I have only use factory starters if I need to replace one. I did a starter replacement on one of my trucks. The original factory one lasted 20 years and 160,000 miles. The new factory replacement should last that long.

Old 10-13-2019, 08:58 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,434,021 times
Just have the starter replaced and be done with it. Use a Densoo starter.

You might want to check the wiring and battery. I've never had a starter with issues, they always just died suddenly.

Old 10-13-2019, 12:30 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,709,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Denso is the Toyota parts supplier that used to be part of Toyota. All you’re saying is you’re replacing with the original part instead of aftermarket.

What I am saying is I've had good luck with Denso parts rather than other aftermarket brands. For my trucks the dealer doesn't carry a lot of parts for it anymore brand new so I use Denso because they seem to be pretty good quality to price ratio. I have a few toyota work trucks and they are city driven with a lot of stop and go (maybe 30 times a day start/turn off which is hard on a starter)

Old 10-14-2019, 06:15 AM

599 posts, read 498,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
As long as you are clear that Denso remanufactures starters and alternators, as well as supplying new ones to auto manufacturers. Personally, I would second the recommendation, as some parts store house brand, and other cheap no-name rebuilds, can be pretty low quality. Most independent shop mechanics have got their own story of replacing the same starter or alternator two or three times, since the rebuilt part they used was junk, as was the whole lot of them, sitting on the shelf at their supplier. Low cost "rebuilt" electrical parts from third world countries, can have an extremely high defect rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion