Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2020, 10:40 AM

7,495 posts, read 7,179,877 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately at the current price and availability it is more of a niche/special edition vehicle than a mainstream product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yea, I changed my post a little bit to make clear what I mean by "more of a range extender."

Overall, seems like a winner, and I've got high hopes for a Sienna Prime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2020, 11:01 AM

37,157 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
Unfortunately at the current price and availability it is more of a niche/special edition vehicle than a mainstream product.
I agree with you on availability, but for the US, I disagree on price because it's eligible for a hefty $7,500 federal tax credit. If availability is good enough next year to avoid the massive dealer markups from demand outstripping supply, then the two RAV4 Prime trims has the potential to be the top seller among RAV4 models.

Old 07-20-2020, 12:25 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,813,817 times
Availability is shot this year due to COVID. But the price is right at just a few grand more than the regular hybrid... and in some locations, even cheaper due to state incentives.

Old 07-20-2020, 12:35 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
It's a good thing that Tesla is pushing Toyota to make their hybrids better. For almost 10 years the Prius didn't evolve much until the Model 3 came out and they're finally rolling out better Hybrids to different models quicker than before.

I own a Tesla Model 3 but still have my Prius and Highlander Hybrid.

Old 07-20-2020, 12:44 PM

7,495 posts, read 7,179,877 times
Availability is not due to Covid.

Price of a going to be too high for the average consumer getting a compact vehicle.

Given very limited availability, dealers will be marking up just like they tried doing in the Supta of which now has big incetives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
Availability is shot this year due to COVID. But the price is right at just a few grand more than the regular hybrid... and in some locations, even cheaper due to state incentives.

Old 07-20-2020, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
It's a good thing that Tesla is pushing Toyota to make their hybrids better. For almost 10 years the Prius didn't evolve much until the Model 3 came out and they're finally rolling out better Hybrids to different models quicker than before.

I own a Tesla Model 3 but still have my Prius and Highlander Hybrid.
It's not so much Tesla as it is regulation that is pushing Toyota. Either way, it's a good thing. EVs just aren't quite there yet and if I am going to replace my v8, a hybrid is the way to go.

Old 07-20-2020, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
Availability is not due to Covid.

Price of a going to be too high for the average consumer getting a compact vehicle.

Given very limited availability, dealers will be marking up just like they tried doing in the Supta of which now has big incetives.
Toyota claims that availability is limited due to battery supply... and the supplier claims it was due to shutting down the plants for COVID.

Either way, it was due to limited supply of parts... most likely COVID related.

The price will come down once the supply goes up. This is not the only model year that they will sell the RAV4 Prime.

Old 07-20-2020, 04:36 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,753,297 times
saw a review on it. people are going gaga for the performance. given that it takes the CRV 3 weeks to hit 60, this should be a huge seller. toyota is the #1 seller from asia for a reason.

Old 07-20-2020, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
saw a review on it. people are going gaga for the performance. given that it takes the CRV 3 weeks to hit 60, this should be a huge seller. toyota is the #1 seller from asia for a reason.
Eh, it's fast... that's for sure... but it needs to be tweaked.

The tires are soft rather than grippy... so you really rely on the traction control to keep your tires from spinning. The AWD is impressively effective at launching the vehicle (but I haven't taken it offroad or in snow). The car is heavy... I wish they had sportier stiffer suspension. They went for a soft ride which is nice on the highway, but not great for zipping around the mountain curves I was driving on.

It would be nice to see a TRD version with smaller wheels, but stiffer suspension. I don't think they can do anything about the weight... but that's only a problem if you're joyriding like I was. If I were driving teenagers from soccer practice to camping, with the daily commute to work, it will be fine.

I probably wouldn't buy it... but that's due to the quality... not the mechanics.

Old 07-20-2020, 07:16 PM

37,157 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Thus far, it looks like this year is getting three PHEVs with decently usable electric range:

RAV4 Prime with 42 miles of electric range
Ford Escape with 37 miles of electric range
BMW X5 Hybrid with 31 miles of electric range

Obviously, the last one is in a different price segment entirely, but it’ll be interesting to see how these pan out, especially in the next year when production issues from the pandemic are possibly ironed out more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion