Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 12:16 PM

2,080 posts, read 6,934,255 times

Advertisements

I hope they sell it here, I think its cute. A nice way to get around traffic! And a nice alternative to the smart car.

Motor Authority » Toyota may sell iQ in the U.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 12:25 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
It would be good for cruising around small inner city streets, but there's no way I would put it on a freeway.

Old 06-16-2008, 12:27 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,507,850 times
I think it will be a hit and I think they will bring this as a Scion. Toyota needs something to help Scion get the demographic they want because its mainly the old buying up those cars.

Old 06-16-2008, 12:29 PM

2,080 posts, read 6,934,255 times
It would be cool as a Scion product!

Old 06-16-2008, 12:35 PM

546 posts, read 2,146,755 times
It looks like the Scion Xa that was just discontinued by Toyota. The Xa was available in 4 doors and was just replaced by the Xd.

Old 06-16-2008, 12:41 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,507,850 times
Scion currently doesn't have a single fuel efficient vehicle in the line-up. So this just could be the Scion xQ

Old 06-16-2008, 02:47 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,863,253 times
Just buy a toyota yaris. Similar design, almost same MSRP etc. As for being a hit in the us? Oh yea. When my mom bought her yaris it was the only one they had on the lot. It wasn't even new either, it had 10k miles it on because someone had leased it.

Old 06-16-2008, 03:08 PM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
A while ago AutoWeek did some long-term mileage testing and a VW TDI gave better mpg than a Prius, it seems a bit disappointing that this car doesn't top the Prius mileage wise.

Old 06-16-2008, 03:36 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,817,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
A while ago AutoWeek did some long-term mileage testing and a VW TDI gave better mpg than a Prius, it seems a bit disappointing that this car doesn't top the Prius mileage wise.
Given that diesel is nearly 60 cents a gallon more expensive than regular here ($4.19 to $4.79), the TDI's have to be more than 15% more efficient. So if the Prius gets, say, 45 mpg, the TDI'd have to get better than 52 mpg.

Old 06-18-2008, 11:06 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,975,080 times
It's only a matter of time before some obese man who drives nothing but SUVs comes on this thread and says "it'll never sell".

They said the Mini was too small for America and said it would sink BMW, and what happened?...they said the Smart fortwo (which, I can't wait to get, btw) would be a flop, and low and behold, they are selling like hotcakes and there is a big waiting list for them. Now, people will no doubt say "the iQ wouldn't sell". What do you think is going to happen?

Small is the new Big. Simple as that. I would much rather drive a smaller, cuter, practical car than a gas-gusler any day. Not to mention that I can't drive a big car, as it makes me nervous. I once drove my brothers Dodge pickup truck (which he actually uses for work as a landscaper, unlike most people who have them) and I had to pull over to the side of the road and let him drive, as I just don't feel right piloting a 747 with wheels.

I would only be worried about the frame. If the IQ, like the Smart fortwo, has a steel frame, I would have no problem with getting one.

Another thing, if people actually look at the data and not just go by a "bigger is safer" voice in their heads, they would see that smaller cars are allot SAFER than those SUV death traps...get into a blowout at 50 in a Explorer, and you'll find yourself doing more flips and turns than Mary Lou Retton going after a gold metal, where as a normal, smaller vehicle might have damaged rims and that's about it, not to mention the better handling of a smaller car and the fact that you are less likely to get into an accident with a smaller vehicle (smaller vehicles have less area to be damaged, i.e., smaller, harder to hit targets) and they're allot safer than a Range Rover...

...that, and everytime I see a guy in a big SUV I can't help but think "wow, what a big vehicle...maybe he's making up for something of his that's not so big"

While a mini, Fortwo or IQ screams "I'm man enough to drive a little car", along with "Osama Bin Laden hates my ride"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion