Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 01:33 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,370,923 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I unfortunately have been bumping into those low concrete parking space barriers. They are in my parking garage at work. I drive into the space, and wanted to make sure my rear bumper was not hanging out into the driving lane in the garage, so I nudge up until I feel/hear the wheels touch the little barrier.

Apparently I should not have been doing that because this morning, when backing out of my garage at home, I heard a dragging noise toward the right front of the car. The plastic undercover was partially off on the right side, still intact on the left. Went ahead and unscrewed the right portion that was dragging so I could get to work this am. There were about 5 screws holding it in place, and one of the screw openings had torn, the rest were fine. My questions are these: Is this plastic undercarriage protector hugely important for protection? Do I need to replace this right away or can I wait a bit? I drive the car everyday. It looks like only one side is affected, and possibly the torn plastic hole part can be glued back together, and put back in place with the unaffected screws.

If I do need a new one, was is the cost typically? And, what is it called? Thanks so much!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2008, 01:37 PM

695 posts, read 1,377,085 times
You should probably have it on, in order to keep debris from flying up into your engine compartment. I don't think it's an emergency, but you should probably get it back on there.

I have no idea what they cost. Sorry.

Old 11-26-2008, 01:40 PM

Thanks JeffreySH, do you know what it is called? For when I call the dealer.

Old 11-26-2008, 01:54 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
You can probably get this part used at a junkyard for *way less* than the Stealer will want for it.

If you just *have* to have a new one, order it from Champion Toyota in Houston - big internet parts dealer - Google them or 800-327-2087.

You really should quit parking by Braille. It's bad form, even if you don't damage anything.

All that being said, it may be possible to repair the existing part, or use a fender washer on the screw that goes into the torn hole.

Old 11-26-2008, 02:04 PM

Thanks, I m checking into the washer angle. Park by Braille, that pretty funny . From now on, I will be the Queen of careful parking.

Old 11-26-2008, 02:50 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,944,880 times
Those covers do have function... often they perform airflow management for the cooling system, sometimes protects a belt from debris, and on some cars it is an aerodynamic assist.

Old 11-26-2008, 02:53 PM

695 posts, read 1,377,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
Thanks JeffreySH, do you know what it is called? For when I call the dealer.
No, I don't know specifically what that piece, on that car, is called. But any good parts person would know.

I think the junkyard route sounds pretty good too. They're usually half-price of new, or less.

Old 11-26-2008, 03:21 PM

The piece is intact except for the area that was "torn". Just left the auto zone type place and got a bag of washers, and the 1 extra screw. Looking under the car, it seems as if the covers overlapped, it that right? Problem is I see way more holes than screws. I wonder if it will stay on with just the 4 screws? Gonna try again to put it on in the morning. Starting to get dark here now. Happy Thanksgiving to all. Gobble, Gobble!!!

Old 11-26-2008, 04:04 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
Those covers do have function... often they perform airflow management for the cooling system, sometimes protects a belt from debris, and on some cars it is an aerodynamic assist.
I had a '94 Oldsmobile that always ran hot on the highway. I never could figure out what was causing it until someone recommended checking the "air dam". I never noticed mine was missing and after I put a new one on the car the overheating problem was gone.

Old 11-26-2008, 04:17 PM

Oh Southern, you're getting me to rethink my abilities. I don't want to put this thing on, do it wrong and not know it and potentially mess up the air flow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion