Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 05:36 AM

1,570 posts, read 2,070,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Ron View Post
Well my parents didn't hand me everything on a silver platter if that's what you mean...

And You're NOT "Your" is the word you were trying for genius.
Oh so now my parents handed everything on a silver plater. Right its easy to talk like that over the internet without knowing the individual. And its even easier to pick out grammar errors when yourE a db.
And don't bother responding, you are not aware that parents have different ways of raising their children. Did they do a perfect job with you? Most likely not. Since its apparent that you are a db. And if you do not understand that then stop commenting. You db.

Last edited by 60-minutes-II; 12-03-2008 at 05:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 02:24 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,242,261 times
If you don't mind throwing away thousands $$$ go right ahead.

Old 12-03-2008, 02:37 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,268,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60-minutes-II View Post
I'm too lazy to do it myself. And too lazy to take it somewhere and actually pay. How long can my car go for if I don't feel like changing it in the winter? Its been 7months since the last change.
LMAO

Maybe you should turn this into an endurance project. "How far will it go before it blows up?" Have a daily blog about it.

Old 12-03-2008, 04:29 PM

759 posts, read 3,184,856 times
Change the Oil.
I have pretty much changed my own oil from my first car that was worth about $1K to my latest car that is closer to $100K it is not that hard...only exception would be if you had a mid-engine NSX, Now that is a pain to change...take it to a shop

But now, I found a shop that would let me bring my own syn oil & filter...and they changed it for $10...cheap. ~$50 oil change. 5.5 quarts Oil + filter.

Old 12-03-2008, 04:57 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,776,758 times
Don't listen to these people, it's a total myth that oil needs to be changed in modern cars. It's just a way for mechanics to make extra money. Do you change your transmission or differential fluid every 3 months? NO! Let your car run forever on the same motor oil! It will be fine!

*disclaimer* The above post was a joke and in no way implies that you should run your car forever on the same oil and the poster assumes no responsibility if anyone is dumb enough to take this advice seriously.

Old 12-03-2008, 07:34 PM

759 posts, read 3,184,856 times
It is a myth that you need to change it every 3000 miles...but you DO need to change your Oil. I work for a major oil company, and I have seen the testing on the way oil breaks down over time. you really do not want to go beyond 10,000 miles! but hey, feel free to do what makes you happy. I think most manufacturers recommend 5000-7500 mile intervals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
Don't listen to these people, it's a total myth that oil needs to be changed in modern cars. It's just a way for mechanics to make extra money. Do you change your transmission or differential fluid every 3 months? NO! Let your car run forever on the same motor oil! It will be fine!

*disclaimer* The above post was a joke and in no way implies that you should run your car forever on the same oil and the poster assumes no responsibility if anyone is dumb enough to take this advice seriously.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:30 PM

3,219 posts, read 6,583,457 times
This is something this NJ-ite would say to your face - Why don't you get some sand and pour it into the Oil entry spout, that'll take care of ever having to change the oil ever again on that car. If you don't want this car - I'll come and pick it up and take good needed care of it.

Did the 1st post of this thread "tick me off and got me going"? - yeah you betcha! Especially in the economic conditions we live in today that $$$ and resources shouldn't be wasted - period!

When something is given to someone, most of the time it's not appreciated like if one had to work, earn the money and buy it themselves.

My father gave me a loan for my first car and I paid it off that same summer working - he could've easily afforded to buy me a car and just give it to me, but he wanted to teach me the value of work, a dollar and earning something by the sweat of my brow.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:38 PM

9,421 posts, read 11,173,162 times
Quote:
I'm too lazy to do it myself. And too lazy to take it somewhere and actually pay. How long can my car go for if I don't feel like changing it in the winter? Its been 7months since the last change.
I hope you're not too lazy to work enough hours to buy a new engine when that time rolls around. Which it will if your post is actually serious.

Where do you get the energy and motivation to turn the computer on?

Old 12-03-2008, 11:14 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,782,175 times
Quote:
The biggest negative is probably going to be putting the car up on blocks when you are too lazy to get the seized engine replaced.

Old 12-03-2008, 11:22 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,231,171 times
Oh yeah and it was a shame, because Toyota has been known to make such super engines for years and this era of Camry is otherwise a reliable car.

Sadly, it was not just the Camry or the 4-cylinders. I think this also effected the 3.0L V6 in the 95-99 Avalons, the early Sienna vans and I think even the V6 Camrys from about 1997-01. I had a 93' Camry with the 3.0L V6 with nearly 220K and it had absolutely no problems, but I think this was before this problem cropped up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
I completely forgot about the sludge issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
Right! Might not be a problem with some engines but can be with that one...

"The sludge problem occurs when oxidized oil builds up in an engine. Its forms a mucky goo that can cause the engine to seize up. Because the problem can be caused by failure to change the oil. Toyota has been refusing to cover repairs under its five-year/60,000-mile power train warranty.

But last week, Toyota sent letters to 3.3 million owners of vehicles equipped with the two engines affected by the problem -- the 1MZ V-6 and the 5SFE inline 4 -- saying it will pay for repair costs in cases where owners can prove they made "reasonable efforts" to maintain the vehicle."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion