Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 09:01 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,434,862 times

Advertisements

The global downturn is even hitting the epitome of a well run car corporation poorly.

"Toyota Motor Corp. said today that it would post its first annual operating loss in seven decades, the latest sign of the severity of the global downturn in the auto industry."

"Toyota's sales in the U.S. -- the carmaker's largest single market -- fell 34% last month and are down more than 13% this year."

Toyota predicts its first annual operating loss in 7 decades - Los Angeles Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 09:38 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,214,050 times
As a current and previous owner of Toyota-Lexus cars, they are nice and reliable, but way overpriced.

I think if they came down a little on the prices to be more in line with other cars they would hold steady. Right now, even their entry level cars (Yaris) barely (if at all) start below a $15,000 price. Corollas run in the upper 10K range.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:46 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Toyota's cars have been going downhill. They offer nothing remotely exciting, perhaps the most BORING automaker on earth right now. They better step it up if they want to see things pick up again. While their reliability is top-notch, people will tire of driving their point-A-to-point-B, soulless appliances. Mark my words. And once this recession is over, many people are going to want to help the Big 3, if they reform and start offering more fuel-efficient rides. Their market share could potentially rise and Toyota's might fall a bit. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Old 12-23-2008, 07:24 AM

1,763 posts, read 7,332,123 times
it's because the Corolla is now as big as a Buick.... and they produced too much anyway

Toyota beat everyone but didn't cut production soon enough. That's all this is.

Steve-O, Maybe look at how Toyota has dominated and moved into other markets before saying they are making "soulless appliances".

Scion is at the lower end of the range making cars that the younger market is buying (and customizing).

Toyota is right in the middle with solid, mass-market cars that beat the pants off anything domestic. The newer Toyota trucks and SUVs were a huge hit to domestic truck makers.

The higher-end Lexus put them in BWM/Benz territory.

When you get as big as Toyota you get less nimble. Even Honda waited too late to cut their production.

I'm no Toyota fanboy. I've only owned one in my life. I'm just posting to disagree with the notion that the company is in trouble after having a bad quarter in 50 years.

Old 12-23-2008, 08:55 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,815,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
As a current and previous owner of Toyota-Lexus cars, they are nice and reliable, but way overpriced.

I think if they came down a little on the prices to be more in line with other cars they would hold steady. Right now, even their entry level cars (Yaris) barely (if at all) start below a $15,000 price. Corollas run in the upper 10K range.
Overpriced? Our 2007 Corolla LE was $15,000 out the door. That's comparable or better than the competition. The Corolla is much cheaper than the Civic and is a comparable-quality car.

Old 12-23-2008, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Toyota's cars have been going downhill. They offer nothing remotely exciting, perhaps the most BORING automaker on earth right now. They better step it up if they want to see things pick up again. While their reliability is top-notch, people will tire of driving their point-A-to-point-B, soulless appliances. Mark my words. And once this recession is over, many people are going to want to help the Big 3, if they reform and start offering more fuel-efficient rides. Their market share could potentially rise and Toyota's might fall a bit. Guess we'll have to wait and see.
There are some people, including myself, that are specifically looking for dependable point-A-to-point-B transportation. I'm in my mid-30's with a family, I don't need speed and performance, I need reliability, value, and some comfort to go along with it. Honda and Toyota do this perfectly.

Even if the Big 3 improves their fuel efficiency, they will never compete with Honda and Toyota for reliability. And if you want boring, the Big 3 isn't exactly making exciting vehicles. You're not going to turn the womens' heads in that Cobalt, Malibu, Taurus, or Focus either.

I'm not entering a NASCAR race everytime I get in my car. I just want to get where I need to go with minimal hassle.

Old 12-23-2008, 09:26 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,687,088 times
I am a proud owner of an American car made right here in the US. I am not fooled by the false preception that foreign cars are more reliable. I have never had an American car break down or require any repair outside of normal maintenance requirements. My currect vehicle is a Ford Escape, all wheel drive, averaging 21mpg with a high of 25mpg, very comfortable, especially on long trips, lots of room, and I can tow a boat, trailer, or camper when I want to. What more could I want? The money I spent on those American cars went to support Americans and American businesses. Many foreign cars are consists of subassemblies made in other countries and assembled here in the US allowing them to say "made in the USA." The salary they pay their American assemblers is only a survivible income and the rest of the profit goes overseas to Japan, Germany, Korea, etc, to be circulated in their economy.
As a veteran I am embarassed to see an American flag displayed on a foreign vechile.
Then there are those people who profess to loving America, supporting American troops, and then supporting foreign countries by buying foreign products. I support the American union worker, the UAW, and all American workers and will do my best to continue to buy American products.
Who knows, if Americans continue to buy foreign cars maybe they will be able to collect their Social Security checks from Japan or Korea?

Old 12-23-2008, 10:17 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,537,374 times
Default Toyota

I have owned one American Made vehicle, a dodge, and it was apiece of junk. Had to take it back for warrenty work at least a dozen times. My parents bought a Caravan and 2 days later, the bottom radiator hose fell off and that was just the start of problems. My wife had a 97 olds and we had nothing but problems with it. On the other hand I had a Nissan hardbody pickup for 15 years and not a single problem. My 4Runner has been with me for 14 years with only 3 visits to the dealership. My Tacoma, only once. My wife's Honda, never in 4 years and running.
I am one who will never by a vehicle from the big 3. And by the way, all of my imports have been exciting to drive and are the best looking vehicles in there class. Not the boring crap that GM, Ford, and Chrysler put out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
I am a proud owner of an American car made right here in the US. I am not fooled by the false preception that foreign cars are more reliable. I have never had an American car break down or require any repair outside of normal maintenance requirements. My currect vehicle is a Ford Escape, all wheel drive, averaging 21mpg with a high of 25mpg, very comfortable, especially on long trips, lots of room, and I can tow a boat, trailer, or camper when I want to. What more could I want? The money I spent on those American cars went to support Americans and American businesses. Many foreign cars are consists of subassemblies made in other countries and assembled here in the US allowing them to say "made in the USA." The salary they pay their American assemblers is only a survivible income and the rest of the profit goes overseas to Japan, Germany, Korea, etc, to be circulated in their economy.
As a veteran I am embarassed to see an American flag displayed on a foreign vechile.

Then there are those people who profess to loving America, supporting American troops, and then supporting foreign countries by buying foreign products. I support the American union worker, the UAW, and all American workers and will do my best to continue to buy American products.
Who knows, if Americans continue to buy foreign cars maybe they will be able to collect their Social Security checks from Japan or Korea?

Old 12-23-2008, 10:36 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
There are some people, including myself, that are specifically looking for dependable point-A-to-point-B transportation. I'm in my mid-30's with a family, I don't need speed and performance, I need reliability, value, and some comfort to go along with it. Honda and Toyota do this perfectly.

Even if the Big 3 improves their fuel efficiency, they will never compete with Honda and Toyota for reliability. And if you want boring, the Big 3 isn't exactly making exciting vehicles. You're not going to turn the womens' heads in that Cobalt, Malibu, Taurus, or Focus either.

I'm not entering a NASCAR race everytime I get in my car. I just want to get where I need to go with minimal hassle.
An odd post, but Ill respond anyway.

First off, you dont need to race everywhere. But go drive a Focus h/b with its INCREDIBLE chassis, then a Corolla and you'll see what Im talking about. THe Japanese automakers dull things up to the Nth degree, while offering incredible reliability. Cars like the Focus are a little flashier, almost as reliable, far more fun to drive. I was a HUGE Toyota man (owned 4 in my life so far), then I drove a Focus. Far more solid than any of my Toyotas, especially in the handling department. WOW. Night and day. Now when I drive any Toyota, it feels as drab as listening to Al Gore talk.

And your odd statement about turning female heads will get shot down right now: other than the 350Z and Nissan GT-R, I cant think of a single Japanese car that would turn heads either. In the American camp there are cars like the Camaro, Mustang, Ford GT, Challenger, etc, etc, that will drop panties far faster than anything Japan offers. Sorry, thats just the truth.

Old 12-23-2008, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
All I can say to this is...."oh brother." Take off the jingoistic red white and blue glasses and see the forest for the trees. I have 2 "foreign" cars which happen to be made right here in America. "Foreign" companies continue to build plants here, while the Big 3 invest in such places as Mexico and China. And if you don't think "American" cars also use foreign parts, your head is really in your hindquarters.

So the profit may "stay in America" when you buy a Big 3 vehicle, as you say....but so what? Do I really care if some Detroit fat-cat CEO makes a ton of money? Or if Vito and Guido at the UAW make their extortion money, er, I mean "union dues"....?

My Honda is running as good as new with nothing but oil changes and regular maintenance. 120,000 and its just being broken in. Most Big 3 junkers are ready for the junkyard by that time and have spent quite a bit of time with the mechanic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion